Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
 More AMA Good Stuff / Possibilities. >

More AMA Good Stuff / Possibilities.

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

More AMA Good Stuff / Possibilities.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 10:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default More AMA Good Stuff / Possibilities.

Received this from Joyce Hager @ AMA. I have no idea how many people received it, however it was discussed at the South West Aeromodeling Conference. I know this is an idea that Jerry Nelson (Nelson Model Products) was pushing. If you don't know Jerry Nelson, then you are missing out on knowing a man that has more good modeling / AMA ideas than there are quills on a porcupine. A list of Jerry's modeling accomplishments would be a forum in itself. Now this man can " 'git 'er done!" and I'm betting this is a feeler for the right people to build the road.

So if you know some inroads, then here is where the idea goes.

Folks,

We need your help. In our continuing quest to grow our membership numbers, we feel there are a couple of areas which have not had attention to date, i.e., the AARP and Parents Without Partners market segments. It is extremely expensive to place ads in either magazine; however, we think an interest article about the wonderful world of model aviation could be beneficial. So here's where you come in...I was wondering if any of you, or some of your contacts, could get an article into either/both of these magazines? I would think the AARP article would focus on the technology available today (ARF or BYY) and the camaraderie of RC clubs. The Parents Without Partners article would be focused on dads who get the kids for the weekend and how this hobby lends itself to bonding (building on rainy weekends or flying on sunny weekends). Of course, both articles should conclude with statements about AMA.

If any of you could help us out, that would be great! I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Joyce

While modelers are always looking to help the kids, here is a place to get people that will help the kids -- Grand Parents -- and who are the people with time and desire to do things -- Retirees -- to help promote AMA and have good times doing it.

In addition, what other activity could ever provide all the advantages of aeromodeling: Outdoor activity, indoor activity, camaraderie, crafts, engineering, and even exercise. What could be better for the senior citizen?

Surely there are some of you that have ideas about the Parents without Partners thing.

While doing young-people programs definitely has benefits, certainly enticing those that have the means to really spread the advantages of this hobby-sport, especially with younger family member just has to be a road that needs traveling.

Let AMA know what you can do, especially if you can write articles.

Edited to better explain the relationship possibilities for recruiting Senior Citizens like me.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:36 PM
My Feedback: (51)

Default RE: More AMA Good Stuff / Possibilities.

Whats gotten into you Hoss? You are a regular Santa Claus the last few days bringing all kinds of good information gifts to the AMA Forum?
Seniors and Children are our best hopes in increasing Memberships IMO, but especially the Children! With so many negative influences in front of kids now days, it would be nice to see more kids get involved in Model Aviation, and join a local Club where they would be surrounded by good role models and teachers.
I think seniors would also find the AMA and Model Aviation attractive if they were aware of the large amount of seniors who allready participate in the hobby, and are actually some of the most active members. Model Aviation has definately proven to be a Hobby well suited for both the young and the old! Reaching out to both these groups by whatever means would be a good thing.

Old 12-20-2005, 09:25 AM
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to agree Horrace. The last two post have been great.
I will check with some of my club members to see if they can lend a hand.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:27 PM
My Feedback: (22)

Hey Hoss, its barney. You know Pete F. writes articles for the flying mags, both model and real .

He was a newspaperman for the Dayton Daily News and he wrote a novel recently.

If anyone can do a stringer article for either/both of these mags, he is the man.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:17 PM

I think it's a great idea with just one drawback. Both "market segments" they refer to have limited disposable income. I don't qualify for AARP but was a single parent for a while. I barely had two nickles to rub together let alone money to put into a hobby. If this aspect of their marketing idea is addressed well enough, I can see this helping AMA as a whole.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:32 AM
My Feedback: (2)

They must have adjusted Horrace's meds or something. What ever it is Horrace, I like it.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:12 PM
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: necorc

I think it's a great idea with just one drawback. Both "market segments" they refer to have limited disposable income. I don't qualify for AARP but was a single parent for a while. I barely had two nickles to rub together let alone money to put into a hobby. If this aspect of their marketing idea is addressed well enough, I can see this helping AMA as a whole.
Both markets have limited disposable income? Surely you jest!
I'd suggest that you check out the average retiree at a giant scale fly-in. Lots of big buck mobile homes, fully equipped trailers, high end SUVs, etc., plus they are flying aircraft that are worth a lot more than your average Sunday sport flyer does.
Aero modeling need not be expensive however, as the cost of flying simple electric, glo, or rubber powered models is quite low.
Granted. many retirees are counting every penny to make ends meet, but the Academy has long been "fishing in the wrong pond" trying to attract young members, with consistently poor results.
The truth is that way back when most of us were kids; the airplane was truly "magic". Today's kids view it as being just another form of transportation with about as much "magic" as a bus!
Airplanes are "ho-hum" to them.
While many of today's youth also have allowances that would make one wish to be "adopted" by their parents; these kids prefer to spend their money differently.
On the other hand, many Retirees do have a few bucks extra to spend, and lots of free time; so it makes far more sense to seek new members from within their ranks.
We tend to think of organizations like the AMA as being the type that will prosper and grow, and be in existence for generations to come, while in reality, the opposite is far more likely to happen.
All the signs are there; a membership that hasn't shown any growth for quite a few years, plus the age of the typical member continues to increase.
Nobody is to blame for this; it's just a sign of how all things change, whether we want them to or not.

Old 12-22-2005, 05:45 PM
My Feedback: (1)

I fail to understand this thinking...Why try to attract old rich guys that are going to die off in 10 years, when you could attract young members that could put 30+ years into model aviation. The future of model aviation is not in a 70 year old senior with bad eyesight and failing health, its with our youth!

The problem is parents and our teachers no longer inspire kids. They are perfectly content with just letting the kids mope around frittering away precious time doing NOTHING. Kids today dont have any wonder, or amazement, mainly because we arent teaching them about the excitement of flight.

Kids that are never introduced to flight and shown what is possible, never gain any interest in it. Next time you get a day off. Call your friends, and tell them you'd like to take their kids off there hands for a while. Load all the kids up and take them to a Flight Museum or an Airshow. Chances are there is one near you. Once you've finished at the museum or airshow, ask them if they want to go fly a plane.

When they say yes (and I gurantee they will).

Take them out to the local flying field with a Aerobird Extreme or something similar, and just give each of them a little 5 min instruction time. Or just give them each a Gillows rubber-band plane, and tell them you will have a competition to see which one goes the highest. Those kids will go nuts trying everything they can think of to get their plane the highest.

Wait about a week, and call their parents and ask them if they want another day off. (I guarentee they will) Gather up the kids again, and take them to the flying field. Give them some more instruction time.

If every AMA member would do this at least once a year, you couldnt stop those kids from getting into the hobby. Even better....do it right before christmas. Those kids will forget about all the toys, skateboards, Playstation games, and ask for a RC airplane.

Do you have kids in school? Next time junior has a science fair project due instead of doing that dumb volcano, teach him to fly 3D, and then let him go take a 3D electric foamy to school and do his project on "aerobatics or aerodynamics". He/She will probably come back with a ribbon, because even the dumb teachers probably will be flabbergasted by that display, and you might find some of his friends start showing up at the house wanting to "play" with the airplanes.

Honestly, I think they should make it a requirement of AMA membership that you mentor or instruct at least one new pilot every year. I see people whine about dwindling membership all the time, but they arent getting off their butts to help the situation. And yes...I have done things like the above....more than once, and will continue every chance I get.

Ive even gone so far as to fly a small electric helicopters and airplanes in demonstrations outside our local mall in an attempt to get people involved, and get customers for the hobby shop inside the mall. Its mutually beneficial. The hobby shop gets customers, I get more folks to fly with, I get free flying time, and the hobby gains another pilot. Last time we did this it was a huge success. I flew a helicopter around, and then when I landed I answered questions about it to group of kids that quickly gathered around our little booth. That little hobby shop sold about 42 electric helicopters that week....hmmm ....possibly 42 new pilots joining our hobby.

Go get em....

Old 12-22-2005, 07:53 PM
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: bdavison

I fail to understand this thinking...Why try to attract old rich guys that are going to die off in 10 years, when you could attract young members that could put 30+ years into model aviation.
Because after they croak the rest of us can buy their stuff really cheap. It brings the cost down so younger folks can get into the hobby more easily.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:42 PM
My Feedback: (12)

I fail to understand this thinking...Why try to attract old rich guys that are going to die off in 10 years, when you could attract young members that could put 30+ years into model aviation. The future of model aviation is not in a 70 year old senior with bad eyesight and failing health, its with our youth!
If my father had started flying R/C when he retired he'd have 20 years of experience. I think it's a great idea to attract older people, as well as younger people. There's room for everyone.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:29 PM

When people stop by our field to watch us fly just out of curiosity, it is usually Grandparents and the grand kids, the parents are usually off doing their own thing. Get the older folks involved, who tend to have more free time, and they will probably get the grand kids involved. Sounds logical to me.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:48 PM
My Feedback: (22)

We need older members with spare time to mow and arrange the deck chairs ! Geeze ! You old guys have short memories.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:13 PM

We need older members with spare time to mow and arrange the deck chairs
Because after they croak the rest of us can buy their stuff really cheap
LOL....good points.

Perhaps going after the older folks isnt a bad idea
Old 12-24-2005, 01:52 AM

A good punch in the AARP should produce some results. A lot of the older guys built models in their youth and a few good pictures might stir up the memories and make them want another try. They usually have enough spare cash and playing shuffleboard or pitching horseshoes and square dancing gets old and less exciting as time goes by. I believe the entrance age for AARP is 51 yrs.
Could be wrong but that's not far off the average age in the AMA.
Old 12-24-2005, 05:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ballgunner

A good punch in the AARP should produce some results. A lot of the older guys built models in their youth and a few good pictures might stir up the memories and make them want another try. They usually have enough spare cash and playing shuffleboard or pitching horseshoes and square dancing gets old and less exciting as time goes by. I believe the entrance age for AARP is 51 yrs.
Could be wrong but that's not far off the average age in the AMA.
Did anyone see the ad in the latest MA on page 149? The ad shows a man flying an RC airplane but I can't find anything to do with aeromodeling on the AARP web site: http://www.ontopoftheworldcommunities.com

They are advertising homes from the $140's to $300's so I gather these folks could possibly afford to buy RC airplanes. lol

CCR
Old 12-24-2005, 06:15 AM

I used to be in PWP , about 30 years ago. At that time I did teach young boys how to build balsa gliders.. I did get some pictures in local paper.
Now that I have been in ARRP for about 19 years I had a group that we would teach kids to fly once a month. Private field so as not to interfear with other flyers. This went on for about 6 years and then all my help was getting tired.. It's a shame but with no younger helpers coming on I believe it will die.

Just my thoughts,
Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45637.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	374937  
Old 12-27-2005, 04:00 PM

Honestly, I think they should make it a requirement of AMA membership that you mentor or instruct at least one new pilot every year. I see people whine about dwindling membership all the time, but they arent getting off their butts to help the situation. And yes...I have done things like the above....more than once, and will continue every chance I get.

//SNIP//

Ive even gone so far as to fly a small electric helicopters and airplanes in demonstrations outside our local mall in an attempt to get people involved, and get customers for the hobby shop inside the mall. Its mutually beneficial. The hobby shop gets customers, I get more folks to fly with, I get free flying time, and the hobby gains another pilot. Last time we did this it was a huge success. I flew a helicopter around, and then when I landed I answered questions about it to group of kids that quickly gathered around our little booth. That little hobby shop sold about 42 electric helicopters that week....hmmm ....possibly 42 new pilots joining our hobby.

Go get em....
Bdavison, while I usually agree with your thinking, this post of yours isn't included. [8D]

The world and society has simply changed too much. As pointed out by others, young people simply do not give a shot about things that require considerable maintenance time in their schedule. Parents are too busy making a living and keeping up with the Joneses to support model aviation within their schedule. Taking Jonnie to the soccer game with all those Joneses to woo is OK, but to a distant place for a dose of castor-oil on his $200 sneakers just doesn't fit in.

When I lived in a development, I quickly found out that letting little tommy from doen the street try to cut some balsa with that #11 X-acto 'MACHETE' [X(] did NOT make me a friend of the family. In no way would I ever have neighbor kids in my workshop without their parents -- which I now have no real interest in or time for -- therefore any help is limited to the flying facility. In this area there are plenty open areas where people go to TRY to fly and actually CRASH so then it's back to the computers and games.

OTOH even back as recently as the '70s, there were far more people playing with model airplanes on an occasional level than any AMA numbers would ever indicate. I have a good feeling for that statement because in the early-mid '70s I owned a Hobby Shop in Mt. Prospect, IL, and I was in an RC Club which also had the DuBro Products shop foreman as a member. He was my RC mentor. We compared a lot of numbers.

I have trained a number of kids in their teens. Once they can take-off and land, it's usually good-bye from the club and where they go, who knows? This is especially true for the under 16 without driver's license.

My club does a lot of things to entice newbies. Few join the club and most are over 50 that do. While in the past 10 years we have averaged a gain of 5-7 new members each year, this year will be a negative year. We lost more than we have gained.

Therefore I agree with the "fishing in the wrong pond" theory. Being only a couple months from age 70, I am in good physical condition, still fly OK and enjoy building more than flying. I am still correctable to 20-20. There ar many others out there the same.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10411.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	376410   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49665.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	376411   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12112.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	376412  
Old 12-27-2005, 04:14 PM
My Feedback: (51)

Would everyone who has visited this forum please state there age? Won't find many young kids in here I bet!
I'm 35!
Old 12-27-2005, 06:58 PM
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: ckangaroo70

Would everyone who has visited this forum please state there age? Won't find many young kids in here I bet!
I'm 35!
Nor within the AMA membership ranks or at the local flying field, I suspect![]
Yep, you guessed right in my case anyway. I'm 71.
At 35, your one of the aeromodeling's kids!
Those who keep parroting the virtues of trying to interest youngsters in model aviation, with regard to possibly gaining new AMA members, remind me of a guy sitting amongst the skeletal remains of a long ago decreased horse, crop in hand, vigorously urging it onward.
Clearly, "times certainly have changed" and the airplane is no longer magic or a source for wonder, for today's younger generation!
Accept it - Model Aviation has become primarily, an older folks activity.