Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Old 12-12-2002, 12:18 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder how many people out there who are complaining about the dues increase have no problem paying a ridiculous extra fee to join a SIG?
Old 12-12-2002, 08:43 PM
Bill Vargas

Default SIG's

Blame me, I split this post off another thread.

My SIG's (NMPRA) dues is only 20 bucks a year,,, ash tray in the car change

BV
Old 12-12-2002, 10:09 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

>>>>>>>
I wonder how many people out there who are complaining about the dues increase have no problem paying a ridiculous extra fee to join a SIG?
Old 12-13-2002, 12:45 AM
P-51B

Default Re: SIG's

Originally posted by Bill Vargas
Blame me, I split this post off another thread.

My SIG's (NMPRA) dues is only 20 bucks a year,,, ash tray in the car change

BV
Bill, are you just trying to get me in trouble??

Actually, I am surprised anything I commented on was considered worthy of getting it's own new thread.

Just so everyone knows, I have nothing against the SIGS, and am probably going to join one, my comment was related to another thread.

With that said, let's start the flame war by saying, shouldn't we get memberships to the one's we want for free, since they are part of AMA?

O.K....go ahead...I'll check back in a few weeks to see how many ashes there are.
Old 12-13-2002, 08:10 AM
Bill Vargas

Default Re: Re: SIG's

Originally posted by P-51B

Actually, I am surprised anything I commented on was considered worthy of getting it's own new thread.

P-51B, No trouble was ment and YES your comment is a good one

The SIG's are important and I have to agree with Hossfly,,, If it wasn t for the SIG's and the support they provide to the NATS,,,

One can only speculate what would to happen to AMA if the SIG's didn t exist,,, Sounds like a check and balance thing to me

BV
Old 12-13-2002, 02:53 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think I'll just drop my IMAA membership....not a whole lot going on around here that is IMAA only...and yes, I'll re-up AMA

Jerry
Old 12-13-2002, 03:49 PM
bearcatf8
My Feedback: (4)

Default IMAA

Tailskid: There is a lot of Giant Scale flying going on In your area, All over the South East as a matter of fact. Granted the IMAA is not like it was in it's younger days, But I enjoy flying the larger planes and the older I get the better I can see them. Plus the High Flight magazine has some good info ,lets you see what others are doing. Iv'e been in this thing a long time almost 40 years, and my IMAA # is 329
Old 12-14-2002, 05:17 AM
Hossfly

Default Re: IMAA

Originally posted by bearcatf8
Tailskid: There is a lot of Giant Scale flying going on In your area, All over the South East as a matter of fact. Granted the IMAA is not like it was in it's younger days, But I enjoy flying the larger planes and the older I get the better I can see them. Plus the High Flight magazine has some good info ,lets you see what others are doing. Iv'e been in this thing a long time almost 40 years, and my IMAA # is 329
Very True bearcat, however there is one problem that is hurting IMAA very much. That problem is that an 80" wingspan model is no longer a BIG thing.

Many Clubs are no longer using IMAA Sanctions for their Big Bird events. With an AMA "C" unrestrited entry, a club can draw more entries than if restricted to IMAA members. A Club can then entice some people with awards for Pilot's / People's choice and such. To the letter of the law, any compitition is a NO-NO at an IMAA sanctioned event.

My Club has had 4 annual IMAA Big Bird events. We lose to another Club, some 70 miles south, that sanctions on the same weekend with AMA only. More Clubs are doing that and it is difficult to tell club members why they have to belong to IMAA to fly at their own Club's FLY-In event. They don't seem all that much interested in getting their pictures in High Flight.

I have no answers. Do you?
Old 12-14-2002, 09:01 PM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Back in 1976, the STARS club in Olean, NY started the 1/4 scale movement with a squadron of six Bristol Scouts. These were powered by Roper industrial engines converted to glo. A year later, we were the first to get a Quadra engine, and with those installed in the Scouts, we became the most noted club in the USA. The magazines were full of our big planes and accomplishments. We started an "all scale" meet in 76, with "all scales welcome". It was a huge success. There were 95% small scale planes and 5% big ones. In 1980 (I think), I and several other STARS attended the inagural meeting of the IMAA in Toledo where the STARS obtained charter number 003. By then, there were many others getting into giant scale. Also, by then, our meet was probably a mix of 30% big scale, and 70% small, totaling about 150 planes. By 1985, or thereabouts, our meet had grown to 80% giant scale and 20% small - and that's when we clashed with the IMAA. The IMAA was now getting rather powerful, and started to flex its muscles and authority - by telling us that we could no longer fly "small scale" airplanes at our annual meet. WHAT? Why not? Because they aren't big enough - they say! Well - so what - we say! Our meet had been predicated on the fact that "all scales were welcome" since day one - and this was ten years later.

To make a long story short, the IMAA decided to kick us out of that organization because we would not comply to the new 1/4 scale or 80" wingspan rule. So - chapter 003, the biggest club in the USA flying and promoting giant scale was no longer a part of the IMAA.

The STARS just held their 25th. anniversary scale meet this past summer, and we opened the show by flying five of the original Bristol Scouts that made us famous 25 years ago. Three of the original pilots have passed on, but others flew their planes.

What have we learned here? The first thing is that the meet has continued to be very successful without any help from the IMAA for the past 15 years. We learned that we do not need the IMAA dictating to us what we can and cannot do. So who loses? Certainly not the STARS. Also- we have proved that small scalers and giant scalers do not need to be segregated to have a good time. Next year - the 26th annual event will once again be held with "all scales welcome" - and that's the way it should be!

After all - we are in this hobby to make friends and have fun. Although I only build giant scale planes - most of my local flying buddies only build small ones, and we have "fun" together, and we respect eachother. That's also the way it should be!
Old 12-16-2002, 01:29 PM
bearcatf8
My Feedback: (4)

Default IMAA

Hossfly: Good Point ,I dont have an answer for that. I know the ImAA wants to increase their membership, but is that the way to do it? It's a on going problem. I attended a all scale event this Fall and most were giant scale planes , but there were a lot of very small 25/40 size planes and were ARF's . It was a fun day and I got to fly all I wanted to, some only wanted to fly one time to qualify for an award right before the judging but thats another issue. ( I attended: dont you just loath that, our AMA disc V VP uses that all the time )
Old 12-16-2002, 02:39 PM
Hossfly

>>>>>>
Jim says, "After all - we are in this hobby to make friends and have fun. Although I only build giant scale planes - most of my local flying buddies only build small ones, and we have "fun" together, and we respect eachother. That's also the way it should be!"
Old 12-17-2002, 02:17 AM
georgiavfr800-RCU

OK, now for the dumb question. What is a SIG ??? I'm a newbie here and the acronyms are killing me..
Old 12-17-2002, 04:16 AM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SIG = Special Interest Group

Eric