Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Just some questions

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Just some questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 07:39 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Just some questions

Do you have to be an AMA member to have any credibility on RCU? We help keep your prices low on everything you buy online, or at the hobby store member or not. Does that make us non-members less important? The flying field for the Desert Lakes Flying Group here in Reno, we have a 5 or so X 5 or so mile flying field, a resturant right down the street, a convenience store at the corner, and a fire department a mile away. Does that make us any better, or more important........NO If you are in town come fly with us. We are all in this together, member or not. Some of us just choose to bypass the politics associated with the AMA and clubs. Take our chances if that is how you look at it. But, read a few posts here on RCU or some of the ones some of you have posted and you'll see why some of us choose to stay out of the fray. No one at the AMA club field need to fly my $2000.00 Mustang before I can fly it at their field. I had my AMA card for a year. Went to the club field once. Doesn't seem worth the nearly 60 bucks to me. Oh, and before you bash me......I know not all clubs have political issues. I get it, I know it, I've been to some. Get over it. That is not what this is about. It's about a freedom of choice, and not getting bashed for it.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:44 PM
LANNYBOB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Just some questions

well said thank you
Old 12-02-2006, 08:03 PM
YNOT

If you are in the hobby of model airplanes, IMO you should WANT to join AMA.

I collect Lionel trains, I am a member of the TCA & LCCA.
I used to race cars, I still keep my SCCA & NASCAR memberships.
I duck hunt, DU.
Got a Harley, HOG.
Shoot guns, NRA. Grand Dad, gave all the boys life NRA memberships.
Surf, TGSA membership.
R/C cars, ROAR.

I think if your in a hobby, support the national org.

Now that I think about it, if I stopped all my other hobbies, I could join the Ferrari Club.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:07 PM
YNOT

Oh, and another thing, if you can not afford the 60 bux for the membership, you need to find a new hobby, this one is too expense for you.

And this is not directed towords anyone, this is a general statement.

Wrong hobby to complain about money.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:30 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: CowboyLifesaver

Do you have to be an AMA member to have any credibility on RCU?
Yes...and the lower your number the more credibility you have. If you have a three digit number you are almost god like. With a 2 digit number you are truly divine. A single digit you’re beyond life itself.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:17 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

AMA is a way of life for many of us to fly at club fields or events or to support the organization that represents us with the FAA and FCC, worked with the EPA to establish flying fields on super fund sites etc. They are probably the biggest single reason we have the active freqencies we have and have little over sight from the various government agencies.

If you have an area you can safely fly, and dont plan on attending sanctioned events, then have fun and enjoy, I dont think anyone looks down on you for enjoying your hobby.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:28 PM
model.flyer

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

Yes...and the lower your number the more credibility you have. If you have a three digit number you are almost god like. With a 2 digit number you are truly divine. A single digit you’re beyond life itself.
Triple digits go to Contest Directors.

Single and double digit numbers are reserved for AMA presidents. I believe the single digit assignees have all departed this life.

I hope those single digit holders will forgive the implication your post seemed to convey. Maybe it was just the way I read your post.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:30 PM
model.flyer

Do you have to be an AMA member to have any credibility on RCU? We help keep your prices low on everything you buy online, or at the hobby store member or not. Does that make us non-members less important? The flying field for the Desert Lakes Flying Group here in Reno, we have a 5 or so X 5 or so mile flying field, a resturant right down the street, a convenience store at the corner, and a fire department a mile away. Does that make us any better, or more important........NO If you are in town come fly with us. We are all in this together, member or not. Some of us just choose to bypass the politics associated with the AMA and clubs. Take our chances if that is how you look at it. But, read a few posts here on RCU or some of the ones some of you have posted and you'll see why some of us choose to stay out of the fray. No one at the AMA club field need to fly my $2000.00 Mustang before I can fly it at their field. I had my AMA card for a year. Went to the club field once. Doesn't seem worth the nearly 60 bucks to me. Oh, and before you bash me......I know not all clubs have political issues. I get it, I know it, I've been to some. Get over it. That is not what this is about. It's about a freedom of choice, and not getting bashed for it.
Did you actually have some questions, or should you really change the topic of your thread to read "Just some statements"
Old 12-02-2006, 10:51 PM
KingCrash

Most people I've met give credence to experience. AMA Membership, if nothing else, denotes some level of experience, even if just a rookie, an AMA member is LIKELY to have more than just a casual interest in the hobby. So yeah, it does to a very small extent.

The key, however, is experience, no matter how gained. Equal experience, equal levity in my eyes anyway.

<disclaimer>
Your Mileage May Vary.Professional driver, closed course.See participating dealer for details.Not suitable for all audiences.Ages 8 & UP.No Likey - No lookey.Caution Contents under perssure.
</disclaimer>

Greg S
Old 12-02-2006, 11:14 PM
SSRCCPREZ

Well, I think AMA is a choice for some,butnot all. HEre in the New England region where land is scarce. We do not have 1 mile of clear open free land let alone 5, so in order to fly, we must join a club. 99.9% of the clubs are AMA sanctioned therefore require AMA membership. However,there are those who chose to fly in local parks and then WHEn something happens it is USUALLY the local club that takes the heat and has to come out and explain we are not bad people, this is not a bad hobby and that We have taken neccessary precautions and cannot be held responsible for the actions of anyone with a couple of hundred bucks to blow at the hobby shop......

I merely look at my $60.00 as a requirement for my membership at my club to fly in a sfe, reserved, well groomed environment with people who share my hobby and interests. Everyone has a choice, and every club gets to run their club as they see fit. If a club requires AMA and you do not want to have AMA than you cannot join thje club. If you are fortunate enough to have open space where you can fly, and it does not incumber others from doing the same, than GREAT. Some of us have only the option of AMA and club or electrics and local park.

Just the way it is........

SSRCCPREZ
Old 12-03-2006, 12:26 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

//snip//

Single and double digit numbers are reserved for AMA presidents. I believe the single digit assignees have all departed this life.
You're showing your age, model.flyer. Things have changed. Too many CDs for each to get a 3-digit #, so 4 digits have been awarded for years. Some CDs don't want to change so their numbers remain same.
Two-digit #s are up for grabs, when they become available. No requirement other than being "...fustest with the mostest."

Back in the '50s, I had a low 5 digit # 3XXXX. Became a CD in '63. Asked for any combination of 1, 4, or 7. Back then all competitors painted the AMA # on the wing. (1, 4, and/or 7 is easy to paint) Well, I got 539, [:'(] and that is not so easy to paint. [&o]

When I became a LIFE member #93 was available so I took that, thus AMA L-93. I noticed some time ago that a lower # was awarded a new life member.

So while lower numbers may indicate some advanced seniority and or experience, it may just as well indicate less. The only thing that may really be illustrated is the dedication to the sport through AMA membership, which is more a personal thing. Some like Miller Lite, I prefer a Bud Light, but either will do in most cases, especially if you're buying!

So far the only AMA # problem is in littlecrankshaf's mind. He seems to expound adequate rhetoric concerning such. OTOH, you can't trust him because on one hand he says, "Yes...and the lower your number the more credibility you have. If you have a three digit number you are almost god like. With a 2 digit number you are truly divine." and then in some of his posts he has stated remarks strongly indicating he just possibly could well doubt Hossfly's divinity. So hard to figure that 'lcs' fellow!
Old 12-03-2006, 12:37 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Regardless of your profession or trade or hobby, there is always some benefit in joining an association . It demonstrates unity. It brings knowledgeable people together to address common issues. It provides a forum for an exchange of ideas within the community. It gives you access to the experience and knowledge of others.
If you don't wish to join the AMA, thats your choice. It sounds as if you don't actually need the AMA to fly at your location. But the AMA is the unified front needed for us to pull together when issues threaten the hobby, like fighting for our share of the band width , as an example. When I balance the accomplishments of the national organization against the bad behavior of a handful of its members, I choose to support the AMA.

Now, if you let the *****holes keep you from joining, what happens ? The *****hole quotient goes up. Pretty soon, all we have is *****holes. We need good people. We need you. The solution is dilution.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:02 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

quoting LCS:

]Yes...and the lower your number the more credibility you have. If you have a three digit number you are almost god like. With a 2 digit number you are truly divine.
I must be double divine. I have a 4 digit number (4172).
Old 12-03-2006, 03:02 AM
grimmy55

I read through these forums about people getting plans online and downloading them what are there souces ie. web addresses I cant find them and lest not the plan I,m after CLASSIC UGLY STICK would like to scratch build one but can,t find a plan I reckon it would
be steady as a rock and very forgiving as I would like to try this camera thingy that people try all addresses would be great then I can have a nose around and so could everybody else thanks mateys (kiwi bloke )
Old 12-03-2006, 08:29 AM
rcmiket

I guess your one of the lucky one's. I'm glad you have a place like you describe in the original post. No rules, no AMA, no politics, sounds like paradise with a ocean view. You are a minority these days. If I want to fly I have 3 fields to choice from here TWO REQUIRE JOINING THE CLUB AND AMA TO FLY. The 3rd well its a sod, farm with no rules or AMA , they "take their chances" no frequency control "they all know one another's channels" sooner or later something going to go wrong. No site owner coverage how nice. The poor guy probably has no idea the liability, just a nice guy letting these guys fly. I am by no means a AMA lover but see them as my only choice if I want to fly. I envy you in one way and hope and pray your good luck continues all it takes is one "incident" and your paradise will be gone.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:10 PM
gunfighter
My Feedback: (1)

I would say on RCU as a whole, NO you do not have to be a member of AMA to get recognition.

However, in a subject area titled "AMA DISCUSSIONS" I think you should be a member of the organization to participate in the discussions. Just MHO.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:23 PM
model.flyer

In my opinion, credibility is built from factual and accurate posts. It is not automatically bestowed with AMA membership, nor is impossible to have credibility without AMA membership. Many subjects raised in this forum are raised by non AMA members that are on a sincere quest for information.

Opinions posted as fact that are just unsupported beliefs always hurt the posters credibility when exposed. Some posters are just too lazy to chase down facts before posting. Trying to reestablish credibility is extremely difficult, if not impossible. Member or non member, such posts make the comments less important to completely irrelevant when a pattern develops.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:45 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

LCS,

Now that's uncalled for. I agree with you more often than not. Hope that was said with your tongue in your cheek.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Broptherhood #1
J.R.T. Member #4
Old 12-03-2006, 11:25 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Guess that settles it. You have to be an AMA member. Glad to know that. I'll keep your prices online and at the hobby shop low and support this hobby world wide instead of nationally that way. Besides YNOT, I can spend that 60 bucks on airplane parts instead. Heck that's a whole case of fuel. That would last me say a month, if that.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:22 AM
model.flyer

Guess that settles it. You really should change the topic of your thread to read "Just some statements".

Guess that settles it. You have to be an AMA member. Glad to know that. I'll keep your prices online and at the hobby shop low and support this hobby world wide instead of nationally that way. Besides YNOT, I can spend that 60 bucks on airplane parts instead. Heck that's a whole case of fuel. That would last me say a month, if that.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:16 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder
Bill, AMA 4720
I am a Bill too.
But my AMA number is 4172, even lower than yours.
I am 13% more credible than you are!!

Bill
AMA 4172
Old 12-04-2006, 09:42 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Alright guys...put up your rulers...mom just got home.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:11 AM
model.flyer

Hossfly

Littlecrankshaf addressed only 3 digit, 2 digit, and single digit AMA numbers. My post was a response to him. I will stand by what I posted. 2 digit numbers are still reserved for AMA presidents. Your statement about these 2 digit numbers is in error.

There are many other things AMA numbers can tell one if he is aware of the policies of the system. I did not address alphanumeric and 2 digit combinations in life memberships, nor did I address potential alphanumeric and 2 digit possibilities of vanity numbers. I also did not address 4 digit and larger numbers that are subject to the numbering system.

//snip//

You're showing your age, model.flyer. Things have changed. Too many CDs for each to get a 3-digit #, so 4 digits have been awarded for years. Some CDs don't want to change so their numbers remain same.
Two-digit #s are up for grabs, when they become available. No requirement other than being "...fustest with the mostest."

Back in the '50s, I had a low 5 digit # 3XXXX. Became a CD in '63. Asked for any combination of 1, 4, or 7. Back then all competitors painted the AMA # on the wing. (1, 4, and/or 7 is easy to paint) Well, I got 539, [:'(] and that is not so easy to paint. [&o]

When I became a LIFE member #93 was available so I took that, thus AMA L-93. I noticed some time ago that a lower # was awarded a new life member.

So while lower numbers may indicate some advanced seniority and or experience, it may just as well indicate less. The only thing that may really be illustrated is the dedication to the sport through AMA membership, which is more a personal thing. Some like Miller Lite, I prefer a Bud Light, but either will do in most cases, especially if you're buying!

So far the only AMA # problem is in littlecrankshaf's mind. He seems to expound adequate rhetoric concerning such. OTOH, you can't trust him because on one hand he says, "Yes...and the lower your number the more credibility you have. If you have a three digit number you are almost god like. With a 2 digit number you are truly divine." and then in some of his posts he has stated remarks strongly indicating he just possibly could well doubt Hossfly's divinity. So hard to figure that 'lcs' fellow!
Old 12-04-2006, 01:58 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

model.flyer: "Littlecrankshaf addressed only 3 digit, 2 digit, and single digit AMA numbers. My post was a response to him. I will stand by what I posted. 2 digit numbers are still reserved for AMA presidents. Your statement about these 2 digit numbers is in error. "
Darn, I was just beginning to give some credence to a number of your posts. Oh well I can change my erroneous ways. You can stick to yours. When I paid my Life dues, the lady asked if I wanted a lower #. I said "Sure" as 2 in the club had lower #s and I could go up the seniority roster.[>:] She said AMA 93 is available. I said fine, and so it is. L is allowed for life members, and if they elected to remain XXXX2X it would be LXXXX2X. NBFD.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:14 PM
model.flyer

L-93 is not the same as 93. 93 will, unless a change is made in policy from what it is right now, be issued to some future president of the AMA. Arguing is not worth the bandwidth, except that someone may read this and be misinformed without the clarifications.

The AMA does have policies about its numbering system and the policies are available on request.

model.flyer: "Littlecrankshaf addressed only 3 digit, 2 digit, and single digit AMA numbers. My post was a response to him. I will stand by what I posted. 2 digit numbers are still reserved for AMA presidents. Your statement about these 2 digit numbers is in error. "
Darn, I was just beginning to give some credence to a number of your posts. Oh well I can change my erroneous ways. You can stick to yours. When I paid my Life dues, the lady asked if I wanted a lower #. I said "Sure" as 2 in the club had lower #s and I could go up the seniority roster.[>:] She said AMA 93 is available. I said fine, and so it is. L is allowed for life members, and if they elected to remain XXXX2X it would be LXXXX2X. NBFD.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.