Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Why did you vote for ...

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Why did you vote for ...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 05:08 PM
JUGFLIER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why did you vote for ...

ORIGINAL: 95tequesta

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

The flying style that these flyers subscribe to does not blend well with established traffic patterns, or mainstream flying.
Bill, AMA 4720

WHAT? and the 30%er's and larger do this. So if QuiQue, Mike McConville, Mark Leesberg, Jason Noll, or any of the other professional rc pilots out there wanted to fly at your field, you wouldn't let them because their flying style "does not blend well with established traffic patterns, or mainstream flying."

Sounds like we have a bunch of cliches, with a bunch of GOBs.

3-d is very mainstream axcept in the musty old halls of the AMA inner circle. At any fly-in the 3d pilots wow the crown and pull in the butts to the seats. My wife who hates flying says circle flying is boring, but she will come out and watch my 15 year do stuff most people haven't thought of.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:51 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The flying style that these flyers subscribe to does not blend well with established traffic patterns, or mainstream flying.
Bill, AMA 4720

WHAT? and the 30%er's and larger do this. So if QuiQue, Mike McConville, Mark Leesberg, Jason Noll, or any of the other professional rc pilots out there wanted to fly at your field, you wouldn't let them because their flying style "does not blend well with established traffic patterns, or mainstream flying."

We have several accomplished 3-D pilots in our club. They still want to fly the entire time over the runway. This effectively shuts the runway down for any other useage. So what is the point of your statement? These guys that you mentioned are still just model airplane flyers. They have no more right to hog the runway than do I. Once again, what is the point of your post? Are you asking is we would turn away the best in the country? That would depend on what was going on that day. If we were having a scale contest, they probably would not be allowed to fly, since their models do not replicate a full scale airplane. Think they are scale? Check out the control surfaces.....No real plane that I have seen uses ailerons, Rudder or Elevators that far out of scale. Would you interrupt a contest at your field to allow someone to fly the best scale model in the country? Probably not. Not much difference that I can see.

What does that have to do with the thread?

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 10-31-2007, 07:27 PM
decay

When the old timers go to the flying field in the sky,
then I think we will see more of a balance in flying
styles. RC flying will take a different shape in the
next 5-20 years. The main stream will change for
the better.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:17 PM
eniac

Would you interrupt a contest at your field to allow someone to fly the best scale model in the country? Probably not. Not much difference that I can see.
I would probably object if the best scale model in the country blew the runway for 3 other guys for 15 minutes on end, and flew three times. But the best scale model in the country would probably not disallow takeoffs and landings for this much time. When a dude sits on top of the runway, I can't fly my sport models, I can't fly my scale models, and no one else seems to be able to get off the ground either. Even the helicopter guys are respectful and will take off from the runway, but move beyond the final landing leg, and the airplanes will stay above for normal flying.

The problem isn't the flying style, but the lack of concern for other pilots. There is a point to the traffic patterns.

edit: yeah, this had nothing to do with the thread.

eniac
Old 11-01-2007, 12:33 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bill, AMA 4720

First, if you belong to a club and you have 3D problems, then lobby the membership to get this ruling as pictured below. No more 3D problems.

Second, doesn't make any diff. who is flying, the rules stand. Now if such a dignitary should visit the club, I have no doubt that he would have the runway to himself for 1 or 2 flights. Then it's back to reality.

Edited to add: Regardless who is AMA President, he will not get AMA involved in local club business such as this. If you use such as your voting selection, then you don't really have any choice. Allowing emotion to rule over hard fact is very childish.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91573.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	794578  
Old 11-01-2007, 02:15 PM
95tequesta
My Feedback: (4)

stickbuilder,

your the type i was talking about. A truely successful club sees that everything in this hobby has a place at flying sites. The best way to have cohesion in a club is great communication. Great Communication is the key to anything successful, from having a good marriage, successful business, friendships, and a excellent flying club. The clubs I have been associated with always had some little group that controlled or tried to tell people what they should or shouldn't fly. These same people were the ones who would discourage new members from joining. What they fail to understand is the more positive voice you have in the community the better for sustaining our flying sites throughout this country. Every year several flying sites are shut down because the community sees us as a nuisance as a whole. Heck there are accounts of noise complaints of someone flying a glider. communicate and burn some fuel. Just because you like a certain aspect of modeling doesn't mean everyone else should. And furthermore, I wasn't talking about contest days, I was talking about normal flying days.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:19 PM
95tequesta

and if you want to get nick picky about scale. i doubt very seriously most "scale" models are scale. Let's compare your NACA airfoils to the full-size.

"No real plane that I have seen uses" the NACA airfoils that models use.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:32 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Ok guys, this thread has slid WAY off topic. Let's get back to the discussion of why people voted for who they voted for. The operation of flying fields, flying styles, or if a plane is scale or not isn't appropriate here. If these other topics need to be discussed then I encourage somebody to start a new thread with those topics to discuss it.

Ken
Old 11-01-2007, 02:37 PM
95tequesta

OK mr. rcu occifer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-01-2007, 02:49 PM
95tequesta

I would vote for Jim Graham because he seems to be moving forward not backward like a lot of other folks around here seem to want to do.
But a more logical choice would be Dave Matthewson.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:55 PM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

First, if you belong to a club and you have 3D problems, then lobby the membership to get this ruling as pictured below. No more 3D problems.
Yo Hoss-

Did you vote for the guy that spelled 'manure' with a 'v' in it?

Abel
Old 11-01-2007, 11:53 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, Able, cut those corners whenever I can. OTOH it does give 3D proper credibility.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:33 AM
crash99
My Feedback: (3)

Guys,

Wow, this thread did get off track. But since you all wanted to bash the ProBro group and Billy Hell well I think I should be able to respond.

My son and myself voted for JG. The reason is he supports all kinds of flying like I do. Well OK I don't care about FF. I do know he has no ego issues.

The problem with the rest of the thread is EGO. JUGFLIER hit a point about people love to watch action packed type flying. The Scale guys put so much effort to have their airplanes look so good and then a profile takes to the air.

Some of you guys need to relax on the ProBro issue. They are growing when the rest are declining. I go to the Probro site and I don't drink or smoke. I go to church on Sundays and enjoy Sunday afternoons at the field. I don't read all the threads. Mainly the event and video area.

Crash99

Old 11-02-2007, 11:05 AM
JUGFLIER

Mojo's are airplanes too.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:38 AM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: JUGFLIER

Mojo's are airplanes too.

well said. I might have to quote you on that...

Crash99, I agree completely. The only basis for my voting for Billy Hell is that I know I can overturn an AMA election. I doubt he's a leader member though.(I have no idea) IF he were to win, I believe that the AMA would progress significantly. Maybe not on the surface, but change would happen. Mostly because he represents a part of RC that hardly anyone in Muncie cares about.

50%
Old 11-02-2007, 11:42 AM
crash99
My Feedback: (3)

I am so sorry, I have a small MOJO and it is a airplane. A MOJO is a great airplane.

I would have no problem to vote for Billy Hell. I think the AMA logo would be the first thing we would see changed.

Crash99
Old 11-02-2007, 12:08 PM
KidEpoxy

So all we have to do is make & sit in a flying 250lb part103 UltraLight MOJO,
then we can call it a scale model and enter it in a lot of rulebook scale competitions right next to folks that hate profiles.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:21 PM
John Casey
Banned

So if its Ok for the 3ders to hover over the runway,

Is it also Ok for the helicopter members of the club to hover over the runway?????
They pay thier dues too right??

Most good 3d pilots Know and understand that if they (meaning only One pilot) are hovering, it affects;

takeoffs
landings
pilots shooting touch and go's
fly bys
low passes
gear passes
other aerobatics centered near the runway............FOR EVERY OTHER PILOT IN THE PATTERN.

Problem created........... ALL Just because of................. ONE GUY HOVERING.

Take turns if needed to let every facet of the hobby enjoy the flying site,
the founders of the flying site(that would be the people actually that built it,
not the Johnny come latelies who "claim" it's thiers" afterwards")
did not put it there just for ONE GROUP's enjoyment, its there for everyones enjoyment.

I vote for the guys that include everyone.....