Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Should AMA discontinue the Senior Citizen discount

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Should AMA discontinue the Senior Citizen discount

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 09:14 AM
Puff The Magic Dragon
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Should AMA discontinue the Senior Citizen discount

I Forgot To Add, The Senior Members Of My Club, Are The First To Sell Unused I Tems At Great Prices, This Helps Me Out Alot. Older People Are The Greatest Generation!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-16-2008, 10:21 AM
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: 804

Why would Kemo, if he were a AMA operative(chuckle, chuckle,) advocate for stopping the senior discount, an AMA policy?
Careful there, 804 - Do you really know what the sacred AMA policy is regarding this?

Consider this,

Item 5.e from minutes of Jan 2008 EC Meeting:

e. Membership Year-End Report: Council viewed the trend over the past several years. AMA has increasing expenses and decreasing revenue and must continue to look at non-dues revenue. Will also have to scrutinize the migration rate of Open to Sr. Citizen to determine Sr. Citizen discounts.

and,

From Apr 2008 EC meeting minutes:

MOTION XX: Moved by R. Hanson (X) and seconded by B. Teague (IV) to send the disabled membership dues concept to the Membership Committee for further review.
MOTION passed unanimously

Is AMA moving to dump the Sr Citizen discount and adopt a discount for disabled members? The fiscal incentive for such a move is obvious (and stated in the published minutes), and there are far fewer disabled folks to accommodate than the Sr Citizens that that are relentlessly trudging ahead to become the majority of AMA members.

What tune will the "AMA is always right" crowd be singing when these changes are put into effect? Yeah I know.........the beat goes on.

Abel
I know what the policy is right now. Senior discounts. I hope it stays that way. Could it change? Of course. Should it change to reflect the demographics and evolving fiscal needs of AMA? If its critical to survival, then perhaps. At any rate, good find and a good topic for discussion. Maybe we can keep it on topic, and away from the "crud"?

I'm not sure dividing us here into "AMA is always right", or "AMA is always wrong" camps is useful. If one reads this thread carefully, I think one will find pro and con senior discount comments from both sides of the fence.

If AMA were to dump the discounts tomorrow, I'm positive many folks here on either side of the aisle will be singing the SAME tune.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:43 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Puff The Magic Dragon

Quit Whinning And Pay Your Dues. I'm 46, On A Fixed Income And Pay My Dues.

(in reply to Hossfly)
Puff, May I suggest that you might possibly take an additional look at to whom you are replying?

I have not whined about the senior discount. I am a LIFE member. Therefore membership discounts do not effect my status.

The Nov. issue of MA evidences one contribution from me in 2008, for the general fund. I now have two additional letters evidencing additional donations for the educational and museum funds.

I could have purchased 4 full memberships and received change.

May I respectfully request that in the future you check out just who you select to YELL at? [sm=idea.gif] Thank You.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:31 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Do groups like NRA and EAA have this much negative discussion?

I have been an AMA member for a lot of years. I've had the senior discount for a couple years. I've also taken advantage of the discount for renewing 2 years at a time. This year, also apparently got a new discount because I turn 65 next February. I now qualify for a senior discount when I renew my local RC club membership. I also get senior discounts at the Long John Silver across the street from where I work, and at a Wendy's a few blocks away. I also use my Ohio Golden Buckeye card at a number of local businesses. So what. I don't seem to read about malcontents knocking these discounts. They're available, I use them. If not available, I don't. The disounts just ain't big enough to make a whole lot of difference one way or another to me personally, at least not not as long as I can continue to work. And the way the economy has been going downhill since the mid-late 80s for working people, I may not see what trying to make ends meet in retirement is like.

Senior discounts are a way of life in this country.

In the past, I have also gotten my name on the AMA donation list.

Life is just too short and sweet to bother paying attention to negative put down people.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:00 PM
crownvic

If bull***** was music this forum would be a brass band!
Old 11-18-2008, 07:32 PM
safeTwire
My Feedback: (2)

KidEpoxy, Your avatar says it all!

That little critter is out there in the battle because he can! He is not to young or old. He knows his efforts will include peace for the young and old back home!

Many clubs and organizations have youth and senior status. In general, the ability to earn is compromised for the young and old. Everyone else pitches in
Old 11-23-2008, 05:15 PM
rack
My Feedback: (11)

its just a simple thank you
Old 06-10-2010, 01:07 PM
Andersonn
Banned

When people get old, they have either sent to a nursing home or forced to live in senior homes and given the excuse as their professional care and comfort and company.
nursing home ratings
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11">

</meta></meta></meta></meta>