Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

What Does An EVP Do Exactly (#2)

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

What Does An EVP Do Exactly (#2)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 09:56 AM
Bob Mitchell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Does An EVP Do Exactly (#2)

The question was never answered, and that thread has strayed to the point where it's probably hopeless. I've been looking for a position description for EVP and the closest thing I can find is from the membership manual, thanks to another poster who gave us the reference.

This is from the AMA Membership Manual, page 21, section 4:

"The Exeutive Vice President shall be the Chief Financial Officer of the AMA, shall monitor the financial and corporate affairs of the AMA, make an annual report to the membership regarding the financial affairs of the AMA; and shall make periodic reports, not less than quarterly, to the Executive Council regarding financial matters of the AMA, and shall assume the duties of the President in the event of a vacacy as described in Section 2 until such vacancy is filled."

The only other reference I could find regarding specific duties is in the "Standing Rules" section of the manual and deals with the nominating committee:

"Composition of the Committee:
(a) All eleven Vice Presidents and the Executive Vice President are to sit on the Nominating Committee and will constitute the Committee in total. (Legal counsel may attend and should be consulted if a nomination is to be witheld from the ballot.
)"

The highlighting is their's not mine.

It's my understanding that there will now be an appointed CFO, not responsible to the EVP. If this is the case, (and if someone who really knows would clarify, that would be a good thing), then it seems to me that the EVP doesn't really have much to do. I'm just looking for clarification of structure here, not whether the move was good or bad..........that's a separate thread.

So, back to the original question: What exactly DOES the EVP do (as currently structured)?
Old 08-27-2008, 10:38 AM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What Does An EVP Do Exactly (#2)

Bob:

If it's that important to you to know exactly what the EVP positiion entails, you are wasting your time here in these forums trying to get an answer. Nobody here has a clue - otherwise it would have been answered long ago. Why not go to the horses mouth, so to speak. Send an E-mail to Dave Mathewson, President of AMA. He knows the answer, and I am sure he will give you the correct answer. Or - pick up the phone and give him a call. I know he will talk to you. Then when you find out, you can post the answer here if you so desire.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:29 AM
KidEpoxy

Bob
another possible source of what the EVP does, once the posistion is split from the financial stuff,
would be those that campaigned here to create said new positions & duty allotments.
Perhaps they have some local insight as to exactly what they wanted folks(L-guys) to vote for.

I'm just listing a posible location of the info you asked for, to help you find it.

edit: I did it again, I just cant stop thinking the L-numbers mean Leader, rather than Lifer
Old 08-27-2008, 11:36 AM
Bob Mitchell

ORIGINAL: Jim Messer

Bob:

If it's that important to you to know exactly what the EVP positiion entails, you are wasting your time here in these forums trying to get an answer. Nobody here has a clue - otherwise it would have been answered long ago. Why not go to the horses mouth, so to speak. Send an E-mail to Dave Mathewson, President of AMA. He knows the answer, and I am sure he will give you the correct answer. Or - pick up the phone and give him a call. I know he will talk to you. Then when you find out, you can post the answer here if you so desire.
Done. I'll post whatever reply I get.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:37 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Calling or emailing DM is a terrific idea, that system always works quite well.

However what is really interesting is that one of candidates campaigning for that role himself can't answer such a question and he's right here in the forum on an hourly basis. You would think that although Hoss won't take the time to answer most of the questions asked upon him for his own reasoning, at least he could tell us what his job will entail and answer at least, at the very least, answer 1 single direct question with a direct answer. Afterall these are only some of the things he's been upset about the AMA's current leadership e.g. their lack of communication with the membership.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:01 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: Bob Mitchell

So, back to the original question: What exactly DOES the EVP do (as currently structured)?
The EVP's duties are few. Basically assist the Prez as needed. The EVP will have some latitude to insure the AMA is run efficiently. What the EVP does depends more on the person elected EVP than prescribed duties. So, essentially the position is infinitely variable.

A good EVP might desire to reduce expenses by taking the initiative to monitor the caller ID at HQ. It would be a valuable service to reconcile the caller’s phone number with their AMA number before allowing info out....of course, occasionally the caller will need to give their zip code as well, for an extra level of security but that would solely be at the discretion of the EVP.

Just think of all the money we could save by not wasting time on non-AMA members BS questions.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:15 PM
Bob Mitchell

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

A good EVP might desire to reduce expenses by taking the initiative to monitor the caller ID at HQ. It would be a valuable service to reconcile the caller’s phone number with their AMA number before allowing info out....of course, occasionally the caller will need to give their zip code as well, for an extra level of security but that would solely be at the discretion of the EVP.

Just think of all the money we could save by not wasting time on non-AMA members BS questions.
I know this is a sore point for you and some others, but I'd really rather not have this thread deteriorate as the other one did.

Thanks,
Old 08-27-2008, 02:51 PM
woopie
My Feedback: (6)

It's not to hard to find and accessable for a non member:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/members...ecmotions.aspx
Old 08-27-2008, 03:32 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: woopie

Section 4 to read: “The Executive Vice President is an Officer of the AMA, and will perform such duties and responsibilities as may be assigned by the President or the Executive Council of the AMA. The Executive Vice President shall assume the duties of the President in the event a vacancy as described in Section 2, until such vacancy is filled, and when so acting shall have all the powers of, and be subject to all of the restrictions upon the President.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:44 PM
Bob Mitchell

ORIGINAL: woopie

Thanks for the link, and thanks to Red for posting the quote from the minutes. I didn't go back far enough.

So it looks like it's basically "undefined" and allows the President and EC to assign or not assign any duties as they see fit.

That could become very interesting.

Edit typo
Old 08-27-2008, 05:57 PM
Bob Mitchell

Done. I'll post whatever reply I get.
I've gotten two emails from President Mathewson this afternoon. The first with the informtion I'm posting below and a comment that it should be on the AMA website before the close of business today.

The second confriming that the information had been posted. Nice

• Voluntary position with AMA budget for travel and business expenses.
• Elected by mail ballot of Leader and Open members to a three-year term.
• Reports directly to and receives direction from the AMA President and Executive Council.

Summary:
• Primary responsibilities include working closely with the President, Executive Council and Executive Director to support the mission and vision of the AMA.
• Shall assume the duties of the AMA President upon the death, incapacity, inactivity, resignation, impeachment or removal of the AMA President.
• May assume some of the ceremonial duties of the AMA President, such as attending functions and events when the President is unable to attend.

Responsibility:
• Responsible for working with the President, Executive Council and the Executive Director to identify strategic issues and goals; and develop plans and methods to achieve goals and objectives.
• Assist in coordinating programs, events, projects and activities to ensure timely, proper, and efficient completion.
• Monitor and evaluate programs and advise when it is necessary to deviate and update programs and plans to reflect a new direction.

Essential Functions:
• Attend and participate in Executive Council meetings.
• Conduct Executive Council meetings in the President’s absence.
• Develop productive relationships with AMA staff and department heads.
• Develop positive relationships with external organizations that impact on the AMA.
• Work toward providing additional value, services, and satisfaction for AMA members and clubs.
• Serve on or chair any AMA committees as assigned.
• Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the President or Executive Council.

Credentials and Experience:
As per ARTICLE IX “Nominations and Elections†Sections 1-6:
• To be eligible to discharge the duties of AMA Executive Vice President, the nominee must be a Leader Member of the AMA, and must previously have served as a member of the Executive Council or as Associate Vice President or as a Contest Board member for at least one year.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:04 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

And now that we have the job description we have to ask ourselves how well either candidate can function effectively in the position.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:07 PM
Bob Mitchell

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

And now that we have the job description we have to ask ourselves how well either candidate can function effectively in the position.
Yes, exactly.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:16 PM
Jim Messer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See Bob:

I told you that Dave Mathewson is a first class act, and would answer your question to your satisfaction. I'm certainly glad that you took my advice to contact him directly. Score one point for Bob Mitchell!
Old 08-27-2008, 07:15 PM
Bob Mitchell

See Bob:

I told you that Dave Mathewson is a first class act, and would answer your question to your satisfaction. I'm certainly glad that you took my advice to contact him directly. Score one point for Bob Mitchell!
Score one for Dave, actually.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:43 PM
Muroc1

See Bob:

I agree. I have had excellent results from Dave when I have emailed him with questions I have had. Same day or next day replies. I was quite impressed.

Frank
Old 08-27-2008, 07:45 PM
Muroc1

So............there you have it.
Bob,

Thanks for sharing the info with us -straight from "The Man."

Frank
Old 08-29-2008, 05:54 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

This thread should be pinned to the top of the forum so people REALLY know what your voting for and not what one of the AMA candidates described as a "flunkie" to the EC. Obviously this job is much too important to just hand it over to someone who thinks the position is actually that of a demeaning nature. Tried to fool us he did .... buzzzzz.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:02 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BFD! Like Mitchell said, it's been posted on the AMA Web News since Wed. 8-27. Not exactly a secret.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:00 PM
Arebeck

Hoss,

Why do you need to preface you comment with the acronym 'BFD". I suspect most here know what it stands for and I do not see the need for profanity - even in it's abbreviated format.

Totally uncalled for and very unprofessional.

I realize this is a little of topic but I feel strongly about comments like this.

Ron Becker
Old 09-02-2008, 09:08 PM
The Toolman

When you have the same few people chasing you around from thread to thread asking the same questions over an over, I would imagine that you would be fed up with it after awhile also.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:11 PM
The Toolman

ORIGINAL: STLPilot

This thread should be pinned to the top of the forum so people REALLY know what your voting for and not what one of the AMA candidates described as a "flunkie" to the EC. Obviously this job is much too important to just hand it over to someone who thinks the position is actually that of a demeaning nature. Tried to fool us he did .... buzzzzz.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black..........
Old 09-02-2008, 09:33 PM
Arebeck

Toolman,
ORIGINAL: The Toolman

When you have the same few people chasing you around from thread to thread asking the same questions over an over, I would imagine that you would be fed up with it after awhile also.
That might be true but that is no excuse for profanity of any form in this forum. Sometime if one is frustrated it is best to leave things unsaid for awhile and revisit it later on.

Ron Becker
Old 09-02-2008, 11:58 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Arebeck
Hoss,
Why do you need to preface you comment with the acronym 'BFD". I suspect most here know what it stands for and I do not see the need for profanity - even in it's abbreviated format.
Totally uncalled for and very unprofessional.
I realize this is a little of topic but I feel strongly about comments like this.
Ron Becker
Ron, there are so many issues in this world that I feel strongly about, I can't believe it, and here you just added one. I feel strongly that many others have a like strong feeling. Welcome to the REAL WORLD. [sm=pirate.gif]

Perhaps my acronym meant, "Big Fancy Deal." Any PROOF otherwise?
Back in April you posted, "I had a chance to reread the Greg Hahn article this morning and I do not see what the uproar is about. In the title the terms 'Web Crawler' and 'Bottom Feeders' were used. I suspected that he had meant to use the term 'Troll' in place of 'Web Crawler'. If you make that substitution then the article does take a different tone."

Here you changed Greg Hahn's ludicrous article to something YOU SUSPECTED HE HAD MEANT...

Yup, you guessed it. I feel strongly about those kind of excuses also.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:40 PM
Arebeck

Hoss,

Please stop the condescending attitude towards those who disagree with you. I live in the world and I recognize what is right and what is not. Once again you have avoided an answer to a question by trying to direct attention to something that is off topic.

I feel sorry for you in that you have to rely on juvenile tactics to attack my comments. 'Big Fancy Deal' please!

One true measure of an honorable man is his ability to admit that he made a mistake. It is obvious that you do not measure up to the man that you say you are, regardless of the resume' that you have posted on RCU.

I only wish that you felt strongly about honor and respect of those who disagree with you.

I am one of the small percentage of AMA members who does vote and obviously you will be getting mine.

Respectfully,

Ron B

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.