Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
 AMA memmbers, do you build or buy? >

AMA memmbers, do you build or buy?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: A poll
I mostly buy ARFs
20.17%
I mostly buy RTFs
1.29%
I mostly build from kits or scratch
39.91%
I have an even mix of builds and ARF/RTF
38.63%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

AMA memmbers, do you build or buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 04:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: AMA memmbers, do you build or buy?

ORIGINAL: dbcisco

I do think that flyers who don't build, as well as builders who don't fly, are missing half of the hobby. I am sure many just haven't gotten around to it yet.
I am a builder first, flyer second. I spend more time in the workshop than the air. I like it that way for now, but things always change. When I got my first aircraft (RTF Heli) I thought ''this is all I want to do''. Silly me, I was bitten and didn't know it.
How bout you posting some photographic evidence.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 08-28-2010, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: 804

I'm an Arf'er.
I measure, cut, sand, shape, glue, nail and screw wood pieces
together all day, every day in my job.
Doing it as a hobby don't appeal to me.
I just wanna fly.

I work for the VA hospital Blind Center and I teach blinded veterans how to safely operate woodworking equipment. It is more of a rehabilitation process that helps them regain their confidence level so they feel like they can actually go out and do things that they never thought they could do after they went blind. We teach them everything they need to know and how to stay safe while operating a peice of machinery and they get to make all kinds of projects including wooden jewlry boxes, bowls, checker boards, picture frames, you name it. So I work with all kinds of woodworking machines during the day and love it. I usually cant wait to get back home and start making some balsa dust in my own workshop. I guess thats why I like to build so much is because wood working is so adictive, at least to me. I started cutting stuff out on my scoll saw when I was 5 years old and ever since then I havent been able to stop.

I am probably one of the youngest members, 22, at our club and I have come to realize that I am one of very few members left that enjoy building [&o].
Old 08-28-2010, 05:31 PM
Banned

OK:
Photos:
1.Jacob's Black Dr.1 Scratch Built
2.Sig Bristol Scout ARF
3.GWS PicoMoth ARF, Eflite Jenny ARF, Wattage Camel ARF
6.Sig D.VIII ARF, Sig Bristol Scout ARF
7.RC motorcycle RTR, Scale Apache "kit bash", my first RC aircraft on top of cabinet: a Hoverlite 2CH
8.Scale Apache "kit bash"
9.SE5a Scratch Built
10.Morse Scout Kit
11.Dr.1 Kit
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99998.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	1491683   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24626.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	1491684   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej14061.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	1491685   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb80119.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	1491686   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pa33899.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	1491687   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fv25759.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	1491688   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qs27903.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	1491689   Click image for larger version

Name:	On45747.jpg
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	1491690  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Vu29995.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	1491691  
Old 08-28-2010, 09:04 PM
My Feedback: (42)

If a design is published by a magazine, the magazine buys the copyright for the design as part of the payment package to the designer. Designers typically do not get royalties for the plans.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:07 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: lkruse

If a design is published by a magazine, the magazine buys the copyright for the design as part of the payment package to the designer. Designers typically do not get royalties for the plans.
So every plan offered by the AMA was published in an AMA magazine?
Old 08-28-2010, 09:08 PM

Summer time = ARF's. Winter time = kit building
Old 08-28-2010, 10:44 PM

I like to buy RTF's, take 'em apart stick by stick, and make the pieces fit back in the box.

j/k

I love to build kits, been doing it since I was a kid.  But for those times when every plane is "under repair", I keep a foamy handy so I can fly.  I agree with previous contributors:  can't imagine doing one without the other, but to each their own.  Besides, can't spend all day at church or in the library.  Gotta get out and live it up.

Great hobby, great people.  Pleased as heck that my youngest is taking an interest.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:50 PM
My Feedback: (1)

I really enjoy the building, But I did have to say about the same on the Arfs and builds because in the summer I fly mostly but I will put and Arf togeter while the weather is rain or hard wind, And in the winter I build from kits I have three this winter to build so far more if these get done but I do prefer the build over the Arf! I do notice I fly the builds more conservative then Arf's, I always figure an Arf can be replaced easy. But the hobby is a thrill no matter whats on the bench or in the air! it don't get any better!

My doctor told me I would need allot more therapy, so I bought more planes!
Old 08-28-2010, 10:52 PM

ORIGINAL: ThomasD59

Great hobby, great people. Pleased as heck that my youngest is taking an interest.
Amen to that, Thomas. Nothing tops enjoying it with my 4 YO grandson.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:56 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Not an option on the poll, but I buy used from other hobbyists.  Unless you consider that RTF in the poll.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:03 PM
Banned

To you it is really Ready To Fly but not to the guy who built it. Try a kit yourself at some point. You might fall in love.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:18 PM
My Feedback: (9)

To you it is really Ready To Fly but not to the guy who built it. Try a kit yourself at some point. You might fall in love.
Tried, don't care for it. I prefer to fly. Plus the first person takes the initial $$ hit, kind of like a used car. I don't buy new. The emotional attachment is much less if I crash as well.
<br type="_moz" />
Old 08-29-2010, 12:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: lkruse

So every plan offered by the AMA was published in an AMA magazine?
While I don't have a clue and don't really care, I have the last copies of John Pond's catalogs. AMA bought out those plans. How many they kept, threw away or whatever, I know not.
However good ol' JP had a plan of about every design ever built within this USA. John was a fantastic modeler and keeper of the flame. A great person and one that did not always march in step with AMA.
[sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 08-29-2010, 01:12 AM
Banned

I am just concerned that they are not illegal copies. No, I don't take anyones word on that in this day and age.
I see Guillows plans being sold by the AMA and know that they are not in the public domain (I asked).
It would be nice if the AMA informed buyers of any arrangements made between the copyright holders and and the AMA as well as what is in the public domain.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:36 AM

Quite a few companies that have ceased operation have either given the plans to the AMA, or when the company rights were purchased (as when L.M. Cox bought out Pica) the plans were given to the AMA. When the Old Pica Waco plans were given to the AMA, there were no parts templates furnished. Pica never printed the parts templates to their kits, thinking, I suppose, that if you needed a repair part, you could either order the part sheet, or a new kit. Cox never offered the models as a kit, but only as an ARF, and as such the parts count and design differed from the original model. That's why I made the templates, and allowed the AMA to include these templates with the plans. All rights of the parts templates are reserved by me. They never existed before, therefore they are my property. I chose to allow the AMA to include them, but will not allow a commercial venture to make use of them. The AMA owns the plans, I own the templates.

You do not have to worry about illegal plans being sold by the AMA. Ownership has either been transferred, or the copyright has expired, or in the rare instance where the copyright has not expired, the ownership of the intellectual property is so noted on the plan page.

Bill, AMA 4720
Waco Brother #1
Old 08-29-2010, 08:20 AM

Zach
Not an option on the poll, but I buy used from other hobbyists. Unless you consider that RTF in the poll.
Well, that really depends on the condition you buy them in.
If you buy crashes or fish them from the dumpster, its like Kitting or building.
If you buy them ready to fly, then.... well you see where I am going with this
Old 08-29-2010, 08:54 AM
My Feedback: (494)

I tried to find my category but couldn't. New, second hand, ARF, RTF, kit, and scratch built. So far, all glow powered. The poll really needs to include a wider scope of what the hobby is. I also buy and sell on RCU every day. I enjoy that also.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:44 AM

OK:

Which ones of these are scratch built?

Bill, AMA 4720
Waco Brother #1
Old 08-29-2010, 11:36 AM

BUILD,

either from scratch or a kit, which are getting harder and harder to find. I buy a lot of kits on eBay, copy them and then resell them. That's about the only way to get the older classics like Dirty Birdy's, Phoenix's, Kaos, Kwick Flys etc. ARF's are a great asset to the hobby as a whole, but are the death to guys like me.....
Old 08-29-2010, 11:48 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Quite a few companies that have ceased operation have either given the plans to the AMA, or when the company rights were purchased (as when L.M. Cox bought out Pica) the plans were given to the AMA. When the Old Pica Waco plans were given to the AMA, there were no parts templates furnished. Pica never printed the parts templates to their kits, thinking, I suppose, that if you needed a repair part, you could either order the part sheet, or a new kit. Cox never offered the models as a kit, but only as an ARF, and as such the parts count and design differed from the original model. That's why I made the templates, and allowed the AMA to include these templates with the plans. All rights of the parts templates are reserved by me. They never existed before, therefore they are my property. I chose to allow the AMA to include them, but will not allow a commercial venture to make use of them. The AMA owns the plans, I own the templates.

You do not have to worry about illegal plans being sold by the AMA. Ownership has either been transferred, or the copyright has expired, or in the rare instance where the copyright has not expired, the ownership of the intellectual property is so noted on the plan page.

Bill, AMA 4720
Waco Brother #1
Thanks
Old 08-29-2010, 11:57 AM
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I like doing mods on ARF's like this.

Name:	Yw66484.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	1492008   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26609.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	1492009   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd83874.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	1492010   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga76494.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	1492011   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uf50481.jpg
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	1492012   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ul78928.jpg
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	1492013   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gi84799.jpg
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	1492014   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ml39067.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	1492015  

Old 08-29-2010, 12:15 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder
Which ones of these are scratch built?
I edited the previous post with descriptions.
I also found some more pics:

1. G.A.R. Albatros; I pitched their wood and print half way through
2. COX P47 ARF
3. Eflite mCX RTF with fuse from a megatech something.

Name:	Lj23600.jpg
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	1492027   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54527.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	1492028   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl21264.jpg
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	1492029  
Old 08-29-2010, 12:46 PM
My Feedback: (1)

And good at it! Great job!

My girlfriend told me if I gave up RC planes I would have more time for other things, WHAT OTHER THINGS?
Old 08-29-2010, 01:06 PM
My Feedback: (16)

I've built from kits Sig, Top Flite, Jemco, Royal,Precision Cut Kits . But I build from plans most of the time. I also Fly what i build. So far the count from plans is over 15 and counting. I've also converted a Ziroli P-51 D to a B model. And I'm building a VA Hawker Sea Fury which will be electric powered. I find the fun is not just in building but flying. John T.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:56 PM

Jeez, you builders brag about scratch and kit building abilities, you have plans and patterns of ribs and bulkheads to build or copy from makes it so easy. The real challenge is rebuilding or repairing a crashed ARF, no plans and patterns of ribs and bulkheads to copy from to make the repairs. Now that's a real model builder/rebuilder.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.