RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   AMA Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/)
-   -   Drone VS Aircraft - Mid Air Collisions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/11630500-drone-vs-aircraft-mid-air-collisions.html)

Chris P. Bacon 07-05-2016 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by franklin_m (Post 12231186)
NTSB Identification: CEN10LA487A

http://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.av...10LA487&akey=1

"The AMA Safety Code stated that model aircraft pilots should yield right of way to all man carrying aircraft... [emphasis added]"

Okay, that's one.

So the NTSB applied the use of the AMA Safety Code in their report.

porcia83 07-05-2016 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by franklin_m (Post 12231190)
So exactly how many sUAS / full scale aircraft strikes are you - TimJ - willing to accept before you deem there to be enough to warrant action? It seems you're willing to tolerate some, so give us a number.

A fixed wing RC plane strikes a scale one because of poor communications at a BBQ fun fly, and not an AMA sanctioned event either. Both pilots were to blame on that one.

Still no drone v aircraft examples?

Chris P. Bacon 07-05-2016 03:55 AM

"The AMA Safety Code stated that model aircraft pilots should yield right of way to all man carrying aircraft... [emphasis added]"

Also, that one was just above ground level and no where near 400'.

TimJ 07-05-2016 04:08 AM

Watch out, Franky might post the blimp incident next......

porcia83 07-05-2016 05:11 AM

oops!

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/s...pilot-40341228

"..Lunsford said that pilot, who was not injured, reported steering into some brush to avoid a deer on the runway..."

franklin_m 07-05-2016 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon (Post 12231211)
Okay, that's one.

So the NTSB applied the use of the AMA Safety Code in their report.

And although it's not explicitly stated, it sure reads like it was an AMA member flying.

porcia83 07-05-2016 05:13 AM

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...ry?id=40323205

What are we doing about these birds???

franklin_m 07-05-2016 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by porcia83 (Post 12231216)
A fixed wing RC plane strikes a scale one because of poor communications at a BBQ fun fly, and not an AMA sanctioned event either. Both pilots were to blame on that one.

Still no drone v aircraft examples?

Oh, so even though it was an AMA member flying, and violating AMA code (avoid ALL aircraft), it doesn't count unless it was also an AMA sanctioned event?

porcia83 07-05-2016 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by franklin_m (Post 12231232)
And although it's not explicitly stated, it sure reads like it was an AMA member flying.

LoL...of course!

Although not explicitly stated, it could have also been a one handed blind pilot flying the RC plane too, but hey, let's keep speculating.

Wonder if the bipe pilot was AMA too.....:)

franklin_m 07-05-2016 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot (Post 12229847)
How do you have a turtle strike? Prop of fan sucking them off the ground? Or is there some strange turtle flying hobby I am not aware of?

When birds perceive approaching aircraft, depending upon the speed, the birds either go high or tuck their wings and drop. I've seen it thousands of times on low levels. In the case of birds carrying prey, they tend to drop it. That's how these otherwise non-flying animals get ingested. I've been sitting at a picnic in southern Virginia and had a fish drop down through the tree near the table...dropped by an Osprey that got spooked by other birds.

franklin_m 07-05-2016 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by porcia83 (Post 12231235)
LoL...of course!

Although not explicitly stated, it could have also been a one handed blind pilot flying the RC plane too, but hey, let's keep speculating.

Wonder if the bipe pilot was AMA too.....:)

"The club president reported that this was not an Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) sanctioned event; however, AMA rules applied." And then there's this statement: "In a follow-up conversation with a representative with the AMA..." Why would AMA comment on actions of non-AMA pilot? Even so, it appears the club president wasn't enforcing AMA rules very rigorously. What's the talking point? Oh yeah, goes something like this: "We don't need government regulation, we regulate ourselves."

porcia83 07-05-2016 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by franklin_m (Post 12231234)
Oh, so even though it was an AMA member flying, and violating AMA code (avoid ALL aircraft), it doesn't count unless it was also an AMA sanctioned event?

So in 3 minutes you went from it might be an AMA pilot, to it was an AMA pilot. Amazing. Since you read the article, you know exactly what it said. Why not be honest about it?

In your dogged quest to try to find yet another negative AMA related item, you also somehow attribute to me something I never said, or even intimated. ie "it doesn't count". Disingenuous....sort of expect a more honest discussion.

porcia83 07-05-2016 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by franklin_m (Post 12231237)
When birds perceive approaching aircraft, depending upon the speed, the birds either go high or tuck their wings and drop. I've seen it thousands of times on low levels. In the case of birds carrying prey, they tend to drop it. That's how these otherwise non-flying animals get ingested. I've been sitting at a picnic in southern Virginia and had a fish drop down through the tree near the table...dropped by an Osprey that got spooked by other birds.

Don't rule out the flying turtles getting spooked and dropping their catch! :rolleyes::p

franklin_m 07-05-2016 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by porcia83 (Post 12231242)
In your dogged quest to try to find yet another negative AMA related item, you also somehow attribute to me something I never said, or even intimated. ie "it doesn't count"

If you weren't trying to intimate that it didn't count, then why make the comment "... and not an AMA sanctioned event either."

To quote a famous SECSTATE, "What difference does it make" that it wasn't an AMA sanctioned event?

porcia83 07-05-2016 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by franklin_m (Post 12231241)
"The club president reported that this was not an Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) sanctioned event; however, AMA rules applied." And then there's this statement: "In a follow-up conversation with a representative with the AMA..." Why would AMA comment on actions of non-AMA pilot? Even so, it appears the club president wasn't enforcing AMA rules very rigorously. What's the talking point? Oh yeah, goes something like this: "We don't need government regulation, we regulate ourselves."

Talking point indeed. The quest to find examples is a loooong and arduous one, but obviously worth it for no other reason than one can say "see, it can really happen". So I think we have a total of two now, over how many years? Against how many events? Against how many flights? I can't use the 0.0 stat here, so I guess I'll modify that to 0.00000000001.

But sure, use an example or two cobbled together over 20 plus years and lets use that as a reason to enact draconian all encompassing rules and regs. Sounds reasonable.

porcia83 07-05-2016 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by franklin_m (Post 12231249)
If you weren't trying to intimate that it didn't count, then why make the comment "... and not an AMA sanctioned event either."

To quote a famous SECSTATE, "What difference does it make" that it wasn't an AMA sanctioned event?

Bob, weave, distract....it's all the same. Have an honest conversation and you don't need to do any of those things.

Chris P. Bacon 07-05-2016 05:55 AM

Relevance?

franklin_m 07-05-2016 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by porcia83 (Post 12231243)
Don't rule out the flying turtles getting spooked and dropping their catch! :rolleyes::p

The topic is drones vs. aircraft.

franklin_m 07-05-2016 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon (Post 12231253)
Relevance?

Part of the AMA's narrative, and I'm paraphrasing, is that we have an "...impeccable safety record...". Now I don't know about you, but I don't consider violation of AMA's see and avoid rule, AMA Club Presidents that can't clearly establish operational rules for events, and the resulting life threatening mid-air with a full scale aircraft to be a shining example of "impeccable" safety performance.

Chris P. Bacon 07-05-2016 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by franklin_m (Post 12231237)

Were you wearing your PPE? If not, will you be wearing a hard hat and safety glasses at future picnics?

Chris P. Bacon 07-05-2016 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by franklin_m (Post 12231255)
Part of the AMA's narrative, and I'm paraphrasing, is that we have an "...impeccable safety record...". Now I don't know about you, but I don't consider violation of AMA's see and avoid rule, AMA Club Presidents that can't clearly establish operational rules for events, and the resulting life threatening mid-air with a full scale aircraft to be a shining example of "impeccable" safety performance.

So why not apply some analytics considering the number of flights vs. number of incidents and see what you come up with?

Where exactly did the AMA say their safety record was impeccable?

Chris P. Bacon 07-05-2016 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by franklin_m (Post 12231254)

Where does the FAA define a drone?

Sport_Pilot 07-05-2016 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by franklin_m (Post 12231190)
So exactly how many sUAS / full scale aircraft strikes are you - TimJ - willing to accept before you deem there to be enough to warrant action? It seems you're willing to tolerate some, so give us a number.

The number would be greater than 0 which is what we have now. Zero injuries and 0 fatalities. Look at the number of fatalities for boat collisions. Or full scale aviation midair's for than matter.

Chris P. Bacon 07-05-2016 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by franklin_m (Post 12231254)

The NTSB does not indicate it was a "drone" anywhere in the NTSB report you referenced.

Sport_Pilot 07-05-2016 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by franklin_m (Post 12231234)

Just so you know the FAA suspended the full scale pilots license. IMO the NTSB got it wrong, but actually hard to say without first hand knowledge.