Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Redwing 50cc Sboch

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Redwing 50cc Sboch

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 11:28 PM
Tseres

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Redwing 50cc Sboch

ORIGINAL: bemeson

Well Guys,
I finally got around to weighing the bird on an accurate scale and it came it at 18.2 pounds. I was lucky enough to fly her this weekend and she flies very nicely. I have to dial her in a bit, but overall I like it. I appreciate all the help from the everyone on this build thread. I ended up using two 2100 life batteries on two switches for the servos and reciever and 1 2000 mah on the ignition.

I had to place the ignition battery on the side of the engine box and the other two life batteries in the engine box right up to the front. It balanced slightly nose heavy at this location, but the plane flew almost neutral. It flies inverted with just the slightest touch of the sticks. I was quite surprised at this.

I think I will add a bit of right thrust to the engine to neutralize a slight left yaw. The plane is trimmed perfectly otherwise. I hope to get it dialed in and possibly fly it next month in an IMAC event. The plane sure likes to float in on landing. Thanks again Tom and TJ I appreciate all your help.

Brian
Congratulations on your maiden. Glad you like it.

I'm starting IMAC this year. Let us know how you do with it.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:25 AM
T3beatz
My Feedback: (4)

Nice Bemeson, that little extra weight up front goes a long way... the Sbach is a tad on the tail side if not.  I tell people if  your gonna add extra weight up front make it extra battery so that its not dead weight.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:01 PM
bemeson

Let me tell you this IMAC thing is far more difficult than I anticipated. Good Luck Tom. I have been practicing routine for months and I still do not have it right. That PAU 100 CC plane you are building will be perfect for IMAC.

Take care
Brian
Old 04-21-2011, 05:50 PM
Tseres

Let me tell you this IMAC thing is far more difficult than I anticipated. Good Luck Tom. I have been practicing routine for months and I still do not have it right. That PAU 100 CC plane you are building will be perfect for IMAC.

Take care
Brian
I know what you are saying about IMAC. I practiced it the second half of the season last year. I still can't fly a straight line. LOL. I'm very happy with my PAU planes. First IMAC is a week from Saturday. I may have to fly in it with my 50cc. The 100 isn't ironed out yet. The weather has held me back.
A friend has a 100cc Sboch with a DA 120. What a monster. They should make that combo illegal.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:31 PM
bemeson

Hey Tom,
Do you recall how much elevator trim you had on your plane. Secondly, did you add any thrust in the motor box. If so how much? What prop did you use. I am currently using a 22X8. I am thinking about running a VESS 23B, but I think I should have purchased a 23A. I think a 23A is similar to a 23X7, but I am not sure. I have never used these props before. I am trying to get this bird ready for IMAC. I think the 22X8 would be good for 3D. Any advice would be great. I know you have a slightly different motor, but I belive overall horsepower must be similar. I live at 6000 feet which would make a diference.

Thanks in advance

Brian
Old 04-26-2011, 04:02 AM
Tseres

Hey Tom,
Do you recall how much elevator trim you had on your plane. Secondly, did you add any thrust in the motor box. If so how much? What prop did you use. I am currently using a 22X8. I am thinking about running a VESS 23B, but I think I should have purchased a 23A. I think a 23A is similar to a 23X7, but I am not sure. I have never used these props before. I am trying to get this bird ready for IMAC. I think the 22X8 would be good for 3D. Any advice would be great. I know you have a slightly different motor, but I belive overall horsepower must be similar. I live at 6000 feet which would make a diference.

Thanks in advance

Brian
The Sboch isn't fine tuned for IMAC and we didn't change the thrust. We live at 830ft ASL. Kind of hard to compare props.

I have a DA-50 in my Extra. I personally like the 22-8 Xoar. Similar performance with Vess 22-A. A friend has a Vess 22-B and has lots of pull out power with it. We both have Pitts mufflers. I tried a 23-8 Mejzlik and got lots of vertical but I didn't like the way my plane flew. This is all personal and things are probably different with your set up.

If it was me I'd try a Vess 22-B first.

By Elevator trim I'm thinking you mean throw. . I have very little elevator for precision Flying. It's Close to 7 to 8 degrease of deflection. I started with 15 Deg. and cut it back till I liked it. Each airframe is different and depends on where your C/G is. That is also personal preference.I like my C/G close to neutral. (Easier for me to do rolls.) You can only get that C/G by flying and adjusting as you go.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:02 PM
bemeson

Old Tom,
Its been awhile and I thought I would post a pic of the SBACH. I have it dialed in and it flies good. I will say it does not fly as well as the Aeroworks Edge, but its different and not everyone has one. When I go to the field it draws a bunch of attention because of the shape and the color. I apprecate all your guys help on this bird.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32158.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	1631053  
Old 07-10-2011, 06:46 PM
Tseres

I'm glad you like it. Just keep tweaking your setup to get it more to your liking. The Edge is a great plane. It has it's own stall characteristics. The Sboch will be different for sure. My favorite plane is my Extra 300Sp. Just to go out and have some fun I usually take the Sboch.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:20 PM
bemeson

Funny thing Tom,
I flew today and had an almost perfect landing...slight inch hop and when I brought it to the pits to check the plane, I noticed the carbon fiber gear was fractured just as it left the fuse at the curve that goes down the leg. Another interesting item, no one seems to carry replacement parts for the plane. I called Graph Tech and they do not have one for this plane, but I guess I will make it work...kinda dissappointed with the support of this plane. I am hoping the gear was flawed from the beginning. I noticed you broke the gear on your 50cc as well. Where did you get the replacement gear.

Thanks
Brian
Old 07-11-2011, 08:50 AM
Tseres

Funny thing Tom,
I flew today and had an almost perfect landing...slight inch hop and when I brought it to the pits to check the plane, I noticed the carbon fiber gear was fractured just as it left the fuse at the curve that goes down the leg. Another interesting item, no one seems to carry replacement parts for the plane. I called Graph Tech and they do not have one for this plane, but I guess I will make it work...kinda dissappointed with the support of this plane. I am hoping the gear was flawed from the beginning. I noticed you broke the gear on your 50cc as well. Where did you get the replacement gear.

Thanks
Brian
I got mine from Tim at Redwing RC in St Louis. He is great to deal with.

I would try and call him. Here is the web site: http://www.redwingrc.com/contact.html