Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Redwing 50cc Sboch

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Redwing 50cc Sboch

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 12:13 PM
Tseres

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redwing 50cc Sboch

Just opened up my new Redwing 50cc Sboch. The packaging was double boxed and came in a single box. The gorilla baggage handlers missed another opportunity to break things. Everything looks like it is in one piece. Closer inspection will take place when I go over the covering.
Here is what the packaging looked like.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72667.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	1521549   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14647.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	1521550  
Old 10-23-2010, 12:19 PM
G.Barber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Redwing 50cc Sboch

She's a big bird, huh? I'll be watching you assembly this one too!
Old 10-23-2010, 12:20 PM
Tseres

ORIGINAL: gabarber

She's a big bird, huh? I'll be watching you assembly this one too!
Boy you are fast. I just posted it. I really enjoy your comments so I hope you will participate in this one also.

I'll put the two fuses together later for comparison.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:24 PM
G.Barber

Absolutely! I really like the Red Wing planes, and Tim Pastor is a stand-up guy. I am still having tons of fun with my MX2, but it is sadly getting close to winter up here in Minnesota. [&o] Time to put up the glow and gas and break out the electrics to play with. It's just too cold in the winter to start the engines...
Old 10-23-2010, 12:37 PM
Tseres

ORIGINAL: gabarber

Absolutely! I really like the Red Wing planes, and Tim Pastor is a stand-up guy. I am still having tons of fun with my MX2, but it is sadly getting close to winter up here in Minnesota. [&o] Time to put up the glow and gas and break out the electrics to play with. It's just too cold in the winter to start the engines...
It don't quite get as cold in Indiana and I was thinking about making some Skis for my planes for the winter. We do get your weather from time to time. Brrrr! We also get some better days more often here. If we can get out maybe twice a month during the winter it may be worth a shot.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:38 PM
apalsson

Subscribed!!

I'm very interested in seeing how you go. With the good experience of the smaller Sbach, this one ought to be excellent!
Old 10-23-2010, 12:38 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

nice looking Sbach i love those lines
Old 10-23-2010, 12:41 PM
AirTech
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: Tseres

Just opened up my new Redwing 50cc Sboch. The packaging was double boxed and came in a single box. The gorilla baggage handlers missed another opportunity to break things. Everything looks like it is in one piece. Closer inspection will take place when I go over the covering.
Here is what the packaging looked like.
Tom, you are not wasting any time, and the big Sbach looks great. I noticed from the box cover whats look like a fine looking Sukhoi Su-26M2 in the Honda scheme. That's what I love to get my hands on. I was once looking at the Honda Sukhoi from WildHare but they are out of production maybe Tim will bring this one to the US soon, I can't wait.

Name:	Wt59045.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	1521560  
Old 10-23-2010, 01:07 PM
Tseres

Well the 30cc is actually my sons now. I thought once they grow up. Well never mind. I liked the little one so much that I wanted a bigger one since I had a YD Aero 56 to put in it. I like the bottom of the wing better on the 50cc. I think it will be easier for old eyes to see the contrast.
The box is very colorful and ketches your eyes right away. You know how I feel about Hondas so that's not exactly my favorite scheme. But I do like red.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:11 PM
Bob Parker

Your new plane sure looks good. Bet it will be just as good as the smaller one. Buy the way your YDA-56 is breaking in just fine my YAK loves it.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:54 PM
Tseres

ORIGINAL: Bob Parker

Your new plane sure looks good. Bet it will be just as good as the smaller one. Buy the way your YDA-56 is breaking in just fine my YAK loves it.
Yeah, it'll be snowing soon and you won't be needing it so enjoy it for now.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:09 PM
Tseres

My wif left me home alone for a while so I decided to mount the landing gear. It is the firs thing I like to do on a build since it keeps the plane from rolling around.

I opened up the landing gear bag and I noticed right away that there were 4 nuts missing to mount the wheel pants with. THere also wasn't any flat washers to put between the gear and the head of the bolt or the nut. They may be in the other bag but I haven't opened it up yet cause I don't want things rolling all over the place. I got some washers that I had and used them. The thing to know about flat washers is that they are not all flat. The ones I have are the ones with a crown on one side.When you are using it on Fiberglass or Carbon Fiber. You need the put the crown up side towards the glass. That way the edge of the washer don't cut into the softer material and work its way through from vibration. That is what I did.
I had some paint inside of the axel hole in the C/F landing gear. Took an 8mm drill bit, cleaned it out and everything fit fine. need a 13mm and a 12mm wrench to tighten the axle. I really like this landing gear so far. It has a real nice shape to it. Looks sturdy and it's light.

Name:	Ec87833.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	1521573   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97381.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	1521574   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37080.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	1521575   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey70542.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	1521576   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qc39184.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	1521577  
Old 10-23-2010, 02:37 PM
T3beatz
My Feedback: (4)

Subscribed! Your gonna love this plane!! The wheel pants shouldn't need nuts they have blind nuts already installed on the inside, are they should.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:41 PM
apalsson

I opened up the landing gear bag and I noticed right away that there were 4 nuts missing to mount the wheel pants with. THere also wasn't any flat washers to put between the gear and the head of the bolt or the nut. They may be in the other bag but I haven't opened it up yet cause I don't want things rolling all over the place.
Tom,

When I assemble ARFs, I normally have one of those $2 plastic boxes with dividers that you can pick up from discount stores and empty ALL the accessories bags into different compartments.
I find this easier and I can also at a glance see which bolts, nuts, washers etc I will use and which I will replace.

Regardless of the quality of included accessories, I have a habit of discarding any bolts and nuts thaqt are for high-stress areas like Landing Gear, Engine Mounts etc and replace with quality high-tensile bolts I source from a local hardware supplier
Old 10-23-2010, 03:01 PM
AirTech

Well the 30cc is actually my sons now. I thought once they grow up. Well never mind. I liked the little one so much that I wanted a bigger one since I had a YD Aero 56 to put in it. I like the bottom of the wing better on the 50cc. I think it will be easier for old eyes to see the contrast.
The box is very colorful and ketches your eyes right away. You know how I feel about Hondas so that's not exactly my favorite scheme. But I do like red.
I know what you mean, but you must agree that red on top and white on the bottom is super contrasty. Maybe we can get some GM decals..............
Old 10-23-2010, 08:31 PM
Tseres

Had some errands to run this afternoon. But managed to do something else. I found these retainer clips for your extensions so I had to check to see how they work. They are easy to clip but are locked in securely. So it gets a thumbs up.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
I found an empty margarin bowl that my wife had hidden from me. But she don't know I took it so its OK.[sm=wink_smile.gif]

Name:	Pn36263.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	1521759   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42347.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	1521760  
Old 10-23-2010, 08:44 PM
Tseres

Now for the thumbs down.[sm=thumbs_down.gif] The fit of the cowl wasn't very good. The two tabs sticking out so you can mount the bottom screws from the out side, was holding the cowl from fitting on properly. Because I don't like to mount cowls from the outside I decided to redesign it. I cut the two tabs off and made two new ones that I added on to the cowl ring with Epoxy. This cowl originally had 6 locations to mount the cowl. I'm not going to use two of them the access hole is through the wing opening and you have to take the wing off in order to get to it. I like my life simpler then that. I'm also going to replace the screws with Socket head screws. They are also easier to work with. So my thumbs Down[sm=thumbs_down.gif]became a thumbs up[sm=thumbs_up.gif]. I'm happy again.[sm=teeth_smile.gif]

The engine compartment is already fuel proofed.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Name:	Bz78007.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	1521764   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok28796.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	1521765   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kq35585.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	1521766   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sl27114.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	1521767   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15847.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	1521768   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49974.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	1521769   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ms42873.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	1521770  
Old 10-23-2010, 08:44 PM
Bob Parker

You might want to watch that word snow. It might be white but it`s a dirty word. Also I noticed that one black wire had a cut in it. Might want to tape it but I know you already saw it.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:49 PM
Tseres

ORIGINAL: Bob Parker

You might want to watch that word snow. It might be white but it`s a dirty word. Also I noticed that one black wire had a cut in it. Might want to tape it but I know you already saw it.
Yes I did see it. Its just an extension form the used pile. I'm not using it in the plane. It was just there to show the connection with the keeper clips.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:58 PM
Johnny_Zero
My Feedback: (44)

Now for the thumbs down.[sm=thumbs_down.gif] The fit of the cowl wasn't very good. The two tabs sticking out so you can mount the bottom screws from the out side, was holding the cowl from fitting on properly. Because I don't like to mount cowls from the outside I decided to redesign it. I cut the two tabs off and made two new ones that I added on to the cowl ring with Epoxy. This cowl originally had 6 locations to mount the cowl. I'm not going to use two of them the access hole is through the wing opening and you have to take the wing off in order to get to it. I like my life simpler then that. I'm also going to replace the screws with Socket head screws. They are also easier to work with. So my thumbs Down[sm=thumbs_down.gif]became a thumbs up[sm=thumbs_up.gif]. I'm happy again.[sm=teeth_smile.gif]

The engine compartment is already fuel proofed.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Nice work.....Just may have to copy your idea on my Goldberg Ultimate. I will have to build a cowl ring though. Might be a fun project.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:13 PM
Tseres

Making a new ring should be easy. You already have the outline when you take the cowl off. Card board templates are easy to make. You only need 4 6-32 screws on a 50cc size plane. 4-40 will work but 6-32 wrenches are longer and easier to use.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:24 PM
plane addicts
My Feedback: (271)

Very nice
Old 10-23-2010, 09:28 PM
Johnny_Zero
My Feedback: (44)

Thanks Old Tom....I think that I will do just that. What is the best way to secure the cowl ring to the cowl. Sorry to sound dumb, but this is something that I have never done. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:40 PM
Tseres

ORIGINAL: Johnny_Zero

Thanks Old Tom....I think that I will do just that. What is the best way to secure the cowl ring to the cowl. Sorry to sound dumb, but this is something that I have never done. Thanks in advance.
The one time that I did that I put wax paper on the plane side. Located the cowl in the right place. Then I used medium CA with accelerator and spot glued it. Hold the ring in place with the mounting screws and the cowl with masking tape. Once the CA is cured take it off and lay a nice bead of epoxy on the front side of the ring. If you wish you can put some F/G cloth in a few spots to give it strength.
There may be different glues that work better, but I don't know about them.
Hope that helps.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:11 PM
fritzdecat

subscribed...

Red wing Rc is a great Company, I hope they live long and prosper

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.