Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

GP Waco?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

GP Waco?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 04:06 AM
Bill Diedrich

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: GP Waco?

Perhaps an ARC would be forthcoming for those that like to
personalize, be nice to have that option, even if it was available
in limited numbers.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:59 PM
kochj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would someone post some detailed pictures of a full scale wacco wings??
Old 01-02-2011, 05:22 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: kochj

Would someone post some detailed pictures of a full scale wacco wings??
Have a look in the Vintage and Antique Forum. The Waco YMF thread has tons of pictures of full scale wings and other parts, some stripped showing the framework. This is a very useful thread, even if it is huge. It's the biggest thread on RCU.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 01-02-2011, 07:10 AM
skillet92

Well I have a dle 30 in the box waiting for a plane! And this Waco is the ticket. Now I just need the manual to see the space for the engine and make sure a pitts will fit. Will start getting servos and switches now so that when she gets here I can put her all together! Any recommendations on servo size?
Old 01-02-2011, 07:23 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: skillet92

Well I have a dle 30 in the box waiting for a plane! And this Waco is the ticket. Now I just need the manual to see the space for the engine and make sure a pitts will fit. Will start getting servos and switches now so that when she gets here I can put her all together! Any recommendations on servo size?
You will probably need to relieve the boot cowl to accept the Pitts muffler. That is standard with most of the fifth scale Waco WMF models. It is a pretty good modification. As to your servo selection, I suppose that the choice would depend on your flying style. From the photo of the model it looks like the ailerons use 4 servos, so I would think that any good standard servo would work well, especially if you plan to fly within the scale envelope.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 01-02-2011, 07:31 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

on the TH site it specs 6 hi-torque and 1 std. (for throttle)

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAAVT&P=ML
Old 01-02-2011, 07:54 AM
SkyPilot101

Any chance of a 1/6 size? The 1/5th is NICE, but a little large for the typical sport flyer.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:28 PM
skillet92

Stickbuilder Yes I went back and looked at the video and see what you mean as far as modifying the cowl area to take a pitts, but it will be worth it instead of having the cowl all cut up! I have to do similar things to my warbirds. And yes I will not be 3Ding this one so standard will work fine! Metal gear standrard.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:08 PM
Thomas B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mirwin

The WACO YMF-3 and YMF-5 is the most beautiful biplane to ever sprout wings!

I bet $10 this is the Cox ARF.

Cox bought Pica, and for awhile sold a 1.20 and a .60 size ARF of the Pica kit. Then Hobbico bought out Cox. I campaigned Hobbico to revive this ARF so you can thank me very much.

On the other hand, after nearly five years of hoping to find one of these beauties, I gave up. I finally located a very old Pica kit of the .60 size, and commissioned Bill Phillips in North Carolina to build the airframe for me. I'm now finishing it out. I can't say I wish I had waited because the model that Bill built for me has some re-engineering in it that will make it superior to any ARF. Even so . . . . .

By the way, there's an ENORMOUS thread on this model and other WACOs:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_40..._1/key_/tm.htm

Mike

Starting to look like GP might have actually turned over a clean sheet to do this now 1/5 scale ARF, when it comes out, according to a poster that works at Great Planes in Champaign..we will have to closely inspect it, compare it to the COX/Pica ARF and the original kit and see how it comes out..

I also campagned with the Cox/Estes folks as they became part of Hobbico to re release this model.....looks like they listened to a number of us!

The GOOD NEWS is that their model avoids numerous sins of the Cox/Pica ARF. The new Great Planes models is better in the following ways, at the very least: Upper wing now has correct flat center section (yay!), the gear and cowl look better, the new yellow and black trim color scheme includes the scale red pinstriping plus there is some evidence that they have added some nice scale details, such as fuel lines on the cabane struts, added the Waco decals that Cox was too cheap to include and they modeled the air balance type of rudder.

All of this can be seen in the video if you look closely. Good news for Waco lovers and with the improvements, it should be well worth the extra hundred bucks over the 2006 Cox/Pica ARF price of $379. I might sell off my Cox/Pica Waco and replace it...
Old 01-03-2011, 10:41 AM
MormonMike
My Feedback: (2)

Jeesh you guys, waiting for this is like having to pass a kidney stone or a dull tooth ache . Never hurts to order a spare cowl/wheel pants too....... just in case. This out of almost a hundred kits and ARF's I've had really is the most exciting. Looking at other web sites with WACO photos, there's just no end to the different color schemes you can do with this ! Mid February...... [sigh] [] MM
Old 01-05-2011, 05:46 PM
skillet92

Hey guys being that I this will be my first Biplane I do have a question. I have a JR 10X with Spectrum module. I saw the video and it looks like it will have a servo for each aileron, rudder, elevator and the throttle! My question is this...How am I suppose to connect the ailerons together. I will have a 7 or 9 channel receiver. Can each go into its own slot or will I have to use y cables or match boxes?? Any help please!
Old 01-05-2011, 05:49 PM
Stickbuilder

If you go to the Waco YMF thread in the Vintage and Antique Forum, you will see how to connect the slave rods. You will need to use your end point adjustments to make your ailerons move exactly as you want them. The video does not show any slave rods, or sway braces for the landing gear either.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 01-05-2011, 06:15 PM
G.Barber
My Feedback: (1)

Also, I would think that if there is a servo for each of the ailerons, it will probably not have the slave rods. Cocobear, can you add any information to this thinking?
Old 01-05-2011, 06:26 PM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Correct. 1 servo per aileron. You can use 3 "Y" cords and plug them all into one channel, or use two Y's and 2 channels, or you can use 4 channels if you have that many to spare
Old 01-05-2011, 06:27 PM
stangevil29
My Feedback: (1)

I was thinking the same about a slave rod between them. I thought the beginning of the video shows a FS Waco with a slave rod. I thought the Super Stearman worked perfectly with the rod. I still have a Kangke Waco sitting in the box or I would already have one of these on order with the rest of you.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:33 PM
AncientCityFlyer

Looks like one servo per aileron (4) + one for elevator & one for rudder, probably pull-pull, 6 total + one std for throttle. I'm concerned about running 4 servo's via "Y" harness's through a single channel for aileron's. Maybe use Ch. 1 for 2 aileron's and mix the other 2. Just a thought. Mike (ACF)
Old 01-05-2011, 06:38 PM
skillet92

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Correct. 1 servo per aileron. You can use 3 ''Y'' cords and plug them all into one channel, or use two Y's and 2 channels, or you can use 4 channels if you have that many to spare
Well I do have that many to spare and that is the way that I will most likely go! My only question is how! On the JR you do mixes and have a master and slave. To put them on 4 separate channels I would have to use 3 separate mixes??? Or it might just be easier to use 2 Y's and have right side on aileron and the left side on what ever channel I slave to aileron??
Old 01-05-2011, 06:39 PM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Or use a JR Matchbox
Old 01-05-2011, 09:25 PM
Stickbuilder

Without the slave rods it looks like something is missing. Same with the missing Stay Braces on the main gear.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 01-06-2011, 12:02 AM
PTS
My Feedback: (153)

I really like HITEC 645MG's. Take a beatin and keep on tickn...
Old 01-06-2011, 01:01 PM
MormonMike
My Feedback: (2)

Ya, but at nearly $40 bucks each servo, Hope you have some spares laying around. That's close to $200 worth of servos. But, the bottom line, nothing cheap is or should go into this plane. Gadfreys, this one is difficult to wait for. MM
Old 01-06-2011, 02:27 PM
skillet92

Well I do believe that Hitec's are the way that I am going to go! 4 625's for the ailerons and 2 625's for the rudder and the elevator. I have a JR 821 for the throttle. The 625's are 96 ozs but I think that should be fine. As for how I am going to hook them up I am still not sure. I want each to have its own channel so that they can be trimmed independently! I just need to see about how to do that!

And MM yes this is one that I have wanted for a long time so the wait is killing me! LOL So much that I have a NIB Stuka that is waiting to get the pieces parts so that I can get all of the things I will need to be ready when this one comes in!! The Stuka can wait a couple of months!!
Old 01-06-2011, 02:37 PM
Stickbuilder

Remember, you will need plenty of differential on the Ailerons. About 50-70%. Not much down is wanted. Too much down will give you adverse yaw. You will want to really depend on your rudder to fly right. Please learn to make the rudder your friend and don't rely on mixing to fly this one.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 01-06-2011, 02:44 PM
skillet92

OK stickbuilder I am confused! Like I said I have never flown a Biplane before so this is going to be a learning experience for me! Are you saying that the direction of travel down does not need to be as much as the travel up! And yes I know about using rudder. My warbirds have made me start learing how to use the surface on the tail! Before warbirds I corrected on approach with ailerons and elevator! Not the proper way but the extras and edges were forgiving. Imagine the surprise the first time I had a corsair on final and did that!!!
Old 01-06-2011, 03:22 PM
Stickbuilder

OK stickbuilder I am confused! Like I said I have never flown a Biplane before so this is going to be a learning experience for me! Are you saying that the direction of travel down does not need to be as much as the travel up! And yes I know about using rudder. My warbirds have made me start learing how to use the surface on the tail! Before warbirds I corrected on approach with ailerons and elevator! Not the proper way but the extras and edges were forgiving. Imagine the surprise the first time I had a corsair on final and did that!!!
Most modern radio systems allow you to install differential by using the programming in the transmitter. On most Biplanes, especially the Waco F series, when you apply left aileron, you want the left aileron to rise. and the right aileron to droop. Differential means that when the left aileron goes up 1 inch, you want the right aileron to droop 1/3 to 1/2 inch. The same applies when you add right aileron. Adverse yaw comes into play when the drag from the down aileron causes the plane to yaw toward the low aileron, even when you are making an opposite turn. Its something that you have to adjust during your check flights. Adjust the amount of differential until you don't notice any adverse yaw.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.