Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Giant Model Products Introduces a 50cc GeeBee R3 ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Giant Model Products Introduces a 50cc GeeBee R3 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 08:54 PM
gjhinshaw
My Feedback: (303)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Giant Model Products Introduces a 50cc GeeBee R3 ARF

Nice video!! We are working on oleo struts for the model. The strut will be in the middle, so there will be support on both sides.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:33 AM
n8622t
My Feedback: (8)

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Hey Brusshorton, nice flight in spite of the windy conditions[:@] Looks like a good performer. Have you had a chance to look at the wing where the gear are attached? Just wondering how it all came out As long as the attachment point wasnt damaged you can still make some changes to the gear. Hope the wire supports will be easy to install. I think we are all going to need them at least from 50cc up. Great job on the flight with a very unique airplane Now lets see some of those KE!!!!! No butter knives please

You went low and made a show Brusshorton!
Jimmy
Old 05-02-2011, 01:14 PM
gjhinshaw

I will post a picture of the oleo strut that will take the place of the wire.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:22 PM
bigphil
My Feedback: (6)

I want to relay my experience dealing with Gerry and Giant Model Products so the modeling community appreciates the type of guy he is.

I got excited about the new Gee Bee R3 at Toledo and ordered one shortly after I arrived home. Without going into a lot of detail there was a bit of a SNAFU with the order and shipping of the kit. Little did I realize that this also coincided with his trip to China. Long story short, upon his return to the states Gerry bent over backwards to assure that I was satisfied with their products and how they do business. I would not hesitate to do business with them again any time. He is a stand up guy who went WAY beyond what I expected. My kit just arrived today so I've got to go drool over it some more.

Thanks again Gerry! You're the MAN!
Old 05-04-2011, 08:05 PM
gjhinshaw

THANKS!!! Here is a drawing of the oleo strut for the GB's. As you can see you will have to drill 4 holes to get these to fit. Any questions? Please ask.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99995.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	1604437  
Old 05-04-2011, 08:21 PM
Airframe Inventer

Will these be charged with oil or gas? Springs?
Old 05-05-2011, 04:47 AM
VIRGINIA MODEL BUILDERS
My Feedback: (159)

Good morning Gerry,
We were about to take delivery on the GEEBEE and held off pending your trip to china.We want to make sure that the GEEBEE s we take delivery on have the new oleo struts and the changes in the wing tubes.If they are not available yet and we take delivery now,how soonwould we receive all the updated parts you have mentioned. In prior posts.
[email protected]
Old 05-07-2011, 05:28 PM
bigphil

Gerry,
Can you please post the CG and recommended control throws for the 30cc Gee Bee too, these are not included in the "instructions".
Old 05-08-2011, 08:10 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi guys my name is Mike or Iron Mike to those who know me.

Anyways the wife just got me a 30cc of this amzing bird. I had to go back to the web site to make sure they did not accedently send me the 50cc modle as this thing is huge, and I can stick my head in the cowl.

As this is the only thread about this bird really, Iwanting to know if it needs weigh towards the front.

The 30cc is supposed to use a 26-30cc gas motor, as we know some of these older 26-30cc gas motors get really heavy. I already have a DLE 30 in my CMP 71in spitifire, and Icant wrap my brain around this little motor going in the huge cowl. I can stick my hole head in side the cowl for pete sakes.

I was thinking since my DLE 30 is actully as heave as my ThunderPower 1.20 2c that I may need to get a bigger gas motor for the nose weight and to push a prop that wont look like a little toy.

SO I was thinking of a DLE 55 wich is only around 300grams heavyer than the DLE 30 and I can swing a nice looking 20X10 or 22X10 prop vs a 18X10 prop of the 30cc

What you guys think?

I over power all my modles, and since this one worrys me as a little harder to fly I was thinking of just useing a Turnigy HP 54CC motor, its a little heavyer than the DLE 55 but If I crash this bird, I will not be as upset about loseing a $165 motor vs $400

Thanks Iron Mike
Old 05-08-2011, 09:51 AM
VIRGINIA MODEL BUILDERS
My Feedback: (159)

I always over power my racing planes. Just make sure the fire wall is properly beefed up.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:54 PM
gjhinshaw

Iron Mike,
YEP, They are BIG!!! Wait tell you see the 150cc!! OH MAN!!! A DLE 30 will be good in it. If you watched the video of the 50cc you can see he had a DA50 in his. A 50cc will be OVER KILL!! Just make sure everything is up front. If you need any help PLEASE call!! 816-528-3467 Or just email me. You are correct, no one has done a 30cc GB build thread yet. But they and the 50cc have been sent to magazines. Here is a pictiure of the CG. Control throws are pretty straight forward, BUT NOT IN THE MANUAL!!! You can set it up on the throws as any other plane EXCEPT you will need 100% rudder!! YOU have to use rudder on this plane! If you don't...... CAN YOU SAY KNIFE EDGE????? Yep!!! Gotta use it. Good Luck and Have FUN!!!

Name:	Ay74014.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	1605883  
Old 05-11-2011, 03:07 PM
n8622t
My Feedback: (8)

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Here is your airplane hauler guys

Jimmy

Name:	Xv64785.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	1607241   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45499.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	1607242   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ci98210.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	1607243  
Old 05-11-2011, 07:58 PM
mikes68charger

Now thats a great ideal! I like the stand

Im sure its not a issue for the 50cc birds, but for the 30cc birds servos in the standard size with big power gets Costly quickly

I was told I should have around 200oz-in on the rudder for the way I plan on flying.

So the only Standard size servo with this kind of power is Hs-7940 at tower hobbies is only $150 for one servo

So Like I have done in my 540T Edge, I like useing 1/4 scale servos for the rudder, I know there bigger, and heavyer, but I like the fact they have bigger gears and motor, and I know there not tweek to get every last oz out of them.

SO for the rudder Im going to use a HS-755mg THere only $40 new and it isonly 19mm longer and 10mm wider than a standard servo, and already comes with a really nice long arm for the pull pull set up.

In the 30CC bird this is very easy to install / just make a new plate out of ply to go over the exsiting servo tray.

Sorry just thinking out loud.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:11 PM
gjhinshaw

Why don't you look at my servos?? They will be all you need!!!!
www.giantmodelproducts.com
Old 05-12-2011, 04:42 AM
bigphil

Gerry,
Do any other "standard" servo arms fit your servos? I've tried Hitec and Futaba which don't seem to fit. Just wondering about other alternatives but would like to know which ones to buy.

Thanks
Old 05-12-2011, 05:36 AM
gjhinshaw

You can get the Aluminum universal arms to fit.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:48 AM
mikes68charger

ORIGINAL: gjhinshaw

Why don't you look at my servos?? They will be all you need!!!!
www.giantmodelproducts.com

And then some, I looked at the in-oz of these, and thought they were for 50cc+++ Modles, I didn't even bother to look at the size.

That is one monster servo, So your saying they don't come with arms? Do you have a link with arms that work? Do you sell them?

Thanks Mike
Old 05-12-2011, 06:06 AM
gjhinshaw

No, they come with very nice arms!! No need to change them out!!
Old 05-12-2011, 06:07 AM
bigphil

Yes, I have some of the servos and the arms are indeed very nice. I was only asking for possible spares.

Thanks
Old 05-12-2011, 06:10 AM
gjhinshaw

Spares I have!!!! On the other hand if you want to buy the Alum. you can get the MPI arms
Old 05-16-2011, 07:03 AM
pacoflyer
My Feedback: (23)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Gentlemen,
Earlier in this thread in a posting I described several issues that I had with one of two of the the 50cc R3s that we had bought from Gerry at GMP. We identified the problems with the plane and sent them off to Gerry. I'm happy to report that in today's mail we received a full refund for the plane and all the shipping costs that we incurred. All to often, only the "bad" is reported about new vendors coming to the RC market, so I thought it only fair to report when one does act responsibly. It would appear that GMP realizes the importance of customer satisfaction in order to grow a new company in this business. When we spoke, Gerry assured us that we would get a full refund and has addressed all of the QC issues we discussed in the first run of the 50cc planes. Thanks very much Gerry and I look forward to doing business with you in the future.

Best regards,
paul
Old 05-18-2011, 07:53 AM
mikes68charger

Paul that is great to hear!!

Hey guys I have been told you are not putting anything infront of the cowl to act as a air dam.

Im a little perplexed as I was always told to have 2-3X the air exsiting as entering. So with this lovely intake, how are you deverting the air? any pics?

Thanks Mike
Old 05-20-2011, 05:53 AM
Dogdewd

Gentlemen,

Like pacoflyer above, I too had a few problems with a Gee Bee R3 that I purchased from Gerry. Gerry worked so hard to make it right that I actually wonder if he's taking customer service too far (is that possible?). Seriously, this is my first dealing with Giant Model Products and when I had a problem, Gerry jumped in immediately and sent me what was needed to correct the problem. Two days later FedEx knocked on my door with a package. He also requested the old item back. Two days later FedEx knocked on my door again. In other words, he paid freight BOTH ways just to get a good idea of what was wrong with the item. No paperwork on my end.....I just stood at the door and signed my name. Gerry also spent a significant amount of time with me on the phone.

A brief note, when I spoke to Gerry he was VERY appreciative of the fact that I'd emailed detailed pictures of the problem. He said that this enables him to go to his quality control people in China immediately via e-mail. The pictures help and break though any language barrier and help make the corrections needed happen very quickly.

In speaking and dealing with Gerry, it's obvious that he's building his company on customer service. I can't say enough good about GMP and Gerry.

Gerry, if you're reading this thanks again!

Fred
Lawrence, KS
Old 05-20-2011, 09:45 AM
pc2209

Gerry, It was nice talking to you the other day on the phone. Little did I realize at the time that it was the same Gerry that worked for TBM. You may remember that you recomended the TBM Stuka back then. Got it, flys good, I love it. In an earlier posting to Iron Mike, you put a drawing for the CG of the 30 cc size BeeGee which seems to agree with what you told me on the phone about it being 62mm from the leading edge. However not only does 62mm look way too far forward when applied to the actual plane it does not agree with the above drawing unless things are way out of scale. In the drawing the back range of the CG is in line the wing tube. But on the actual plane the front of the wing tube is a full 127 mm from the leading edge so the drawing does not come close to matching up with the numbers. Could you please clarify. Thanks Paul C
Old 05-20-2011, 11:09 AM
gjhinshaw

GOOD CALL!!!! Yes, It I from TBM! I want to change the way the RC company's do things!! I am tired of all the high prices and BS!!

OK.. on the CG from leading edge to center of CG is 133mm this can be + or - 6mm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.