Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

World models piper cub 1/6th scale

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

World models piper cub 1/6th scale

Old 02-20-2011, 02:39 PM
sir crashallot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default World models piper cub 1/6th scale

Anyone got one or flown one, any info or pics, just won one of the bay brand new in box.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:25 PM
sir crashallot

Default RE: World models piper cub 1/6th scale

Well i guess not, my advice is stay well clear of it.

It arrived a few dfays after the last post and at first it looked great apart from it being built with minimal wood. started by fiting u/c which went very well no problems. I like the engine mounts provided, they are adjustable width.

Problem No1
everything went sweet until i came to slot the fin and stab into the model. Fin was not vertical and was out by nearly 8mm, tailplane was out by 13mm in the same direction as the fin, allot of messing and cutting and modifying went into action for nearly 2 weeks until i got it square. how that was not checked in the factory i never will know.

Problem No2

Moved onto the wing, wing is joined by 1 aluminium bar with what looks to be balsa inside the tube to make it stronger. sloted wings together to check fit and they pannels didnt match up. nearly 2mm lip on one wing half. so it looks like the ribs have been badly drilled for it to be out. Cannot sort that out without riping the wings to pieces at the root so decided to leave and introduce packing uner one half the wing to get the wing to sit level.

Problem No3

Went to mount wing to try the pre drilled bolt holes. Suprise suprise 1 hole was out by 3mm and the 2nd hole was not visable it was completely out. so had to faf about removing the blind nut filling the hole with some spruce dowling and filling with epoxy, then redrilled hole in correct place and fitted blindnut. Success now 2 bolt holes that line up.

Problem No4

Went to check wing with stab and wing was out. so after measurements took place it seemned wing was not sat level.I realised that and accepted due to the wings lip i would have to introduce 42mm of packing to achieve the levelness but the measurements where showing i need 4-5mm of packing........

Eventualy i got the wing sorted by shaving a slight amount from one half the fus wing seat.

Now it sits level with level wing and stab and perfectly vertical fin. looking something like a cub. what upsets me after 110 GBP you would think you would get a model that is built to a good accuaracy. i accept in mass produced models you have to accept some minor errors, but these to me are beyond a joke.

So i thought il get the lightning stripes put on her to make her look like a cub. first the strips provided where not self adhesive... nothing in instructions about it so thought right time for the iron to come out,Well what can i say the strip stuck perfectly but then it became aparent that the stirkes provided are way too big and fat and make the model ugly rather then resembble the cub. so i thought stuff it and ripped it back off. it was exactly like solarfilm so talk about a cheap fix for the kit. No cub decal what so ever or numbers for wing. supose4d to have had a pilot with the kit, no pilot that i could see unless they expected me to cut the pilot out in the picture of the cub with one in and stick that in my plane.

All in all im still building the damn thing. over 2 weeks for an ARF. all i can say ARF'S are supose to be able to be completed in just a few evenings. but 4 full days and 10 evenings later im still at it........ It really would have been quicker to build one from a bloody kit.

All i can say is if you consider your money as well earned dont buy this Model Because from what i have seen and experianced it isnt good or acceptable. If it wasnt for the fact that i need to have a model up and running for the next week or so i would have thrown it in the bin. But seen as i need it for a spell whilst other models are finished il have to stick with it. I will this winter (if it flys) consider geting it on the work bench and rip it to bits and get rid of the cheap horrid film its covered in and give the whole airframe a good checking and sorting, if i can get it sorted il think about turning it into a decent plane with improvements in strength in certain areas.

Id still love to know if anyone else has had one fo these and what there views are on the model.

will upload pics when i fined the lead for my phone
Old 04-06-2011, 04:47 AM
AA5BY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Sir...

I think I've got one of these but bought it used because it was a good buy with the Saito .90 flat twin. It is a good looking model but does not fly as well as a similar size Goldberg Anniversary Cub but it can be tamed to fly better with some effort. Whereas Goldberg shortened the wing a few inches (still considered full wing), the World Models is a few inches longer and suffers yaw with aileron unless setup with generous aileron differential. I've also some rudder mix on ailerons. Last but important... it is given to tip stall, but that tendency is greatly reduced by mixing some up trim to the ailerons at lower power settings.

Doing these three, turns the plane from a finicky performer to a tolerably good flyer.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:42 PM
Texastbird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like you got ripped off. The World Models Cub they sell around here has decals included in the kit. Also I have never heard of someone having that kind of problems with a genuine World Models ARF. My flying buddy bought a Cub off Ebay and it was every bit as bad as the one you describe, but it was a rip off no name brand. No more Ebay planes for him. Sorry you got a dog.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:43 AM
sir crashallot

Well i finaly flew it......... iv got an os max s 35 in it and to me its just right and flys round at a nice scale speed. it actualy flys very well indeed. the maiden flight went spot on, 2 notches of left airleron and 2 rudder weirdly enough.

Now heres where the fun starts, second flight went ok but after 15 mintes i heard a vibration noise. fetched it in for a nice landing with no bounce and whilst taxing the model to me i noticed the cowl and cannopy had cracks in. cowl is as gopod for the bin, cracks all over and windscreen a nice split from front right spreading to the very center of it. also found out the engine is naffed due to age but sorted that after rebuilding the engine, with a new crank case. So iv emailed world models and im now awaiting for a reply..... also mentioned in the email about missing parts and parts not fiting correctly.