Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 .60 P-51 with DLE20.

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hangar 9 .60 P-51 with DLE20.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 09:29 PM
kiwibob72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Hangar 9 .60 P-51 with DLE20.

ORIGINAL: rcmadnessp51

OK Kiwibob,

I put the finishing touches on her today and ran up the motor, Spinning a 16x8 APC prop.

The C.G. is set at 4.5

The all up wate came in at 10 lb 10 oz

Maiden will be tomorrow

Wish me luck

Wishing you more than luck on the maiden there Rcmadness ..... all the best, and I look forward to your post flight review (and or video - hint hint!)

Mine won't be quite as neat as yours, my cruddy pitts is too fat along the side, and the metals not suitable for a cut and re-weld (anodized), and no-one over here stocks Jtec - so I'll have it sticking through the side of the cowl a little (grrrr) - but it could be worse, I could be still using that stock monster of an exhaust!

Still, I wonder just how much to get an exhaust made up? (using mine as a design basis)
Old 07-06-2012, 04:53 AM
rcmadnessp51
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tailslide'

Thanks for the kind words, But the proof will be in the way she flys.

I have all the throws set by the book the C.G. I moved based on the reviews I have read, 4.5" seems to be the happy spot, we will see??

I am a bit aprehensive with all the negative reviews this model has recieved.

Pretty sure I scrapped the spring insert, and it takes quite a bit of force the first time you plug it in to fully seat it. Do not be afraid to force on it if you haven't already.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:05 AM
rcmadnessp51

Thanks kiwibob, I did have to make one small hole in the top of the cowl (just big enough for a small screw driver)to be able to adjust the needle valve's. Also after my run up I noticed a spot on my cowl??? It turned out that my Pitts muffler is just touching and has already started to work through grrrr.

As far as the maiden, I will have to wate untill late this after noon or tomorrow, As the wife has found something for us to do this morning
ORIGINAL: kiwibob72

OK Kiwibob,

I put the finishing touches on her today and ran up the motor, Spinning a 16x8 APC prop.

The C.G. is set at 4.5

The all up wate came in at 10 lb 10 oz

Maiden will be tomorrow

Wish me luck

Wishing you more than luck on the maiden there Rcmadness ..... all the best, and I look forward to your post flight review (and or video - hint hint!)

Mine won't be quite as neat as yours, my cruddy pitts is too fat along the side, and the metals not suitable for a cut and re-weld (anodized), and no-one over here stocks Jtec - so I'll have it sticking through the side of the cowl a little (grrrr) - but it could be worse, I could be still using that stock monster of an exhaust!

Still, I wonder just how much to get an exhaust made up? (using mine as a design basis)
Old 07-06-2012, 12:51 PM
kiwibob72

Thanks kiwibob, I did have to make one small hole in the top of the cowl (just big enough for a small screw driver) to be able to adjust the needle valve's. Also after my run up I noticed a spot on my cowl??? It turned out that my Pitts muffler is just touching and has already started to work through [img][/img]grrrr.

As far as the maiden, I will have to wate untill late this after noon or tomorrow, As the wife has found something for us to do this morning [img][/img]

I hear you re 'particular' people within ones life finding things for us to do ..... mines GREAT at that!.
kinda thinking it could be a good option to get the bits and have the boys at work make me a muffler, but I have time on my side if I decide to go down that path. Today I might make a start on fuse servos etc, or might just glue in the elevators ...see how time goes after I get done with Saturday chores (and whatever my wife needs doing)
Old 07-06-2012, 11:50 PM
rcmadnessp51

The maiden is complete,

The plane flew like it should, very little trim was needed for level flight two clicks of up was all that was needed.

Flew four ten Minuit flights.

Take off, roll required right rudder to hold her straight, nice flight characteristics, loops and rolls no problem nice Cubans etc.

Landings, Full flaps and on the manes greased in(have to hold fullup to get her to settleback on the tail)three of them no problem, the fourth was a nice one but she nosed over, slow speedno damage.Need to move the CG back a wisker and add just a little more elevator.
The motor was running hot but was rich, ambiant temp was neer 90deg today so I didnt lean it. May need to open up some more cooling vents in the cowl

We shot some vidio but it was not u-tube worthy LOL.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:55 AM
kiwibob72

Fantastic Rcmadness, great to hear it went well for you. If your a little worried re your unworthy video, just add it as a private video that needs the link to be found, as I'm dying to see it.
Was going to go flying myself tomorrow, be we need to go look at a couple of rescued greyhounds we are looking to adopt, so perhaps next weekend! (on the yak)
Old 07-07-2012, 04:05 PM
rcmadnessp51

http://youtu.be/atlY3Lf_9RkTry this link to watch the vids of the maiden, Sorry about the camera work. My camera is not very good and the guy running it is not a pro either, but we try-ed LOL.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:28 PM
kiwibob72

It's listed as private (ie, I can't see it) , there is a setting where all u need is the link i think?
Old 07-07-2012, 05:31 PM
rcmadnessp51

HMMMMM, Let me see what I can do. When I went to it, it shoead the privat screen, but it also had an icon i could click on if i had permision and was able to view it??
Old 07-07-2012, 05:46 PM
rcmadnessp51

I set it as public, Try again, there are two vids, one of take off and one of a not that great but successful landing
Old 07-07-2012, 07:58 PM
kiwibob72

Watched them all, great videos, amazed that with all the neigh sayer's that she didn't implode on landing, stall in flight or any of it. Well done Rcmadness!
Old 07-08-2012, 03:30 AM
rcmadnessp51

Thanks kiwibob.

That was the worst landing of the 4 that I made, after reading the poor reviews I did reinforce the landing gear mounts with fiberglass, I also shimmed the gear, raking itforward.(just added a couple of washers under the back mounting bolts on each side) to prevent nose overs without having to move the C.G. back to much. It is tippyon grass and you must use caution while taxy-ing.

I did open up another cooling vent in the front of the cowl, just below the factory one to allow more air to the head of the motor, it really looks OK and I feel it was needed.

I also switched to the 14x10 wood prop so I am not loading the motor up as much, to help it run cooler.

I will take a pic of it when I get a chance.

In the first pic you can see the red temp sensor on the head it was approaching 300 deg f before I made the changes.

I will let youknow ifthe mods help or hurt us,not sure when I will get the chance to take her outagain.

Oh and I should mention that I had to use my electric starter for the first start of the day, I flipped by hand many times before I gave up. My spinner now has starter marks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13275.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	1779774   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv67014.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	1779775  
Old 07-08-2012, 11:32 AM
kiwibob72

That "Beast" in the background looks really nice RcMadness - the one in my sim (phoenix) is a real handful that's for sure!
Still, dogs sorted, we get them Friday, so now I "should" be able to go flying this Sunday since that and the finishing of the house repair's will see most things out of my hair between now and then!. (WOO-HOO!!!!!!)

Still trying to decide what to do with this exhaust though!?!?! (opening it up to fit the exhaust will help a little re heat loss, but not look as good. This is turning into quite the sticking point)
Old 07-08-2012, 12:19 PM
rcmadnessp51

ORIGINAL: kiwibob72

That "Beast" in the background looks really nice RcMadness - the one in my sim (phoenix) is a real handful that's for sure!
Still, dogs sorted, we get them Friday, so now I "should" be able to go flying this Sunday since that and the finishing of the house repair's will see most things out of my hair between now and then!. (WOO-HOO!!!!!!)

Still trying to decide what to do with this exhaust though!?!?! (opening it up to fit the exhaust will help a little re heat loss, but not look as good. This is turning into quite the sticking point)
Re The Beast, I have maybe 8 or 10 flights on her now and it is truly a joy to fly, so forgiving and easy, landings are almost effortless really. It was a lot of money to purchase and set up but "WOW" it really makes me look good LOL. Still, as nice as it is, the set up time at the field is not conducive to those last minute lets go to the field for a quicky LOL. I have to make the day of it when I take it out. The blue nose fits in my truck with the wing on, that makes it nice.

I have another interesting story to tell you about The Beast that you will enjoy. Will have to be later as I am out of time now......(remember to ask me about it so I dont forget)

Re the exhaust, Not sure how you could get around cutting, If you do justbe as neet as you can it will be fine (not the end of the world LOL). Even mine didnt fit perfect and I ended up with a hole lol.

Good luck with everything.Enjoy your new family members. (The dogs)
Old 07-08-2012, 05:00 PM
rcmadnessp51

kiwibob,

Luck was on my side and I was able to get to the field this evening, The mods proved to be aperfect fix, The motor ran perfect at factory needlesettings (maybe a bit rich on the low needle) and I think this motor is a winner. Great combonation.

The 14x10 prop allowed the motor to turn up nicely, and I must say that it can fly " fast" if you want it to and it can fly at a crawl with full flaps,(I had it down to a fast walking speed on my last landing and it settled on the mane gear like butter)with a little power i found no bad tip stall HMMMM, I wonder when it will creep up and get me. No sign of a nasty stall as of yet. Stall tests up high(WITHOUT FLAPS) it drops the left wing every time but you have to get pretty slow.( I kept the elevator throws as per the book.)

It will "SNAP" in a steep slow turn with full elevator, I try ed this up high just to see so keep the speed up in the turns and keep you elevator at recommended throws high rate I believe they call for 5/8".

In summery I think as long as you keep your speed up and "do not" set your elevator rate to high you will have great success. Remember to get all the ground speed you can before pulling off and climb outshallow to your first turn.I had a ball fyiing her tonight and look forward to the next outing. It is a nice flying model I have no complaints.

4.5 inches or the recommended 4 and 5/8 is OK for the C.G, I highly recomend shimming the gear forward to get rid of the nose over, 3 small washers on each and the thing is perfect, nice ground handling as long as you take your time.

Also I think I said it needs left rudder to keep it straight on take off......drrrrrrrrr its right rudder.

Catch you later

Best regards

Old 07-09-2012, 02:41 AM
kiwibob72

I have another interesting story to tell you about The Beast that you will enjoy. Will have to be later as I am out of time now......(remember to ask me about it so I dont forget)

Re the exhaust, Not sure how you could get around cutting, If you do just be as neet as you can it will be fine (not the end of the world LOL). Even mine didnt fit perfect and I ended up with a hole lol.

Good luck with every thing. Enjoy your new family members. (The dogs)

Does this count as a reminder re that Beast story?

As for the exhaust, It's looking like I'll have to cut it, even if it DOES ruin the lines a bit, it will help with future cooling. Perhaps this weekend - IF I can find my specific tools in amongst all the boxes still to be sorted through. (i HATE moving! - even when it's moving back into my house post e/quake repairs)
Looking to collect a wooden 16*8 prop when out of town later this week to at least allow me to spool the motor up on a test bed as I'm keen to hear her fire.

With the servo to motor link, did you run a longer arm on the carb/throttle or anything to get around the tank being in the way? (still to get the manual and re-read it in fairness re servo connection)

As for the dogs, Mason and Star will be collected from their respective foster homes this Friday to allow us to be there over the first weekend they are here, and together for that matter. All pretty keen since we got the last two hounds off the local Greyhounds As Pets 'office' since they are wrapping up the kennels in this part of the country (or 'world' as far as you go).
Old 07-09-2012, 06:21 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DONT CUT THE COWL!!!

Just my opinion of course. You've waited this long already. Spend the money and get the muffler that fits. I uset the narrow JTEC then I shimmed between the cowl and the fuse (where the screws mount the cowlt to the fuse) with about 3-4mm peices of light ply to get some more airflow out of the cowl. Yo do not even notice it. Of coursemine is the Sig P-51b but it is basically the same.

Name:	He97184.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	1780134   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69054.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	1780135   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13884.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	1780136   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rk23856.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	1780137  
Old 07-09-2012, 06:19 PM
rcmadnessp51

Re the throttle linkage, As I recall when i slid the tank back it allowed me to keep the throttle servo in the stock location and off set the rod in front of the tank (one of the two reasons I slid the tank back)

Re the beast story, We are having a Jet rally here in Sanford Maine in Sept, The rally is going to be more than just a jet show, They are calling it a rc extravaganza sponsored by Horizon Hobby and a local hobby shop here in Scarborough Maine, there will be jets boats and rc cars and buggies. Any now getting to the beast, They had a world champion coming up to Maine from Horizon (Also the creator and designer of The Beast)to shoot a commercial for the show, for advertisement, k k Semonzinee (I have no idea how to spell his name) But I think you must no who I am talking about. Just so happens I have the only Beast in the area so the owner of Ray and Robbins hobby shop called me and asked if they could use my plane to shoot the commercial for the show. Of course the answer was yes as long as I could have his autograph, to make a long story longer ... he flew the hell out of my Beast for the shooting(two Fridays ago)and then with a huge black sharpy I had him sign the top right wing pannel "WOW" what a treat to see him fly Torque rolls inches off the runway, It was amazing to saythe least.He had to use his own radio, Dx 8 as he flys mode one and we or I fly mode two I also use a Dx 8 and he let me copy his set up to my SD card, another "Wow"

And of course I didn't have a camera with me or I would have pictures of him signing The Beast to help you believe this crazy story.

So they started airing the commercial this week and my Beast is a movie star LOL..

Name:	Mk27466.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	1780268   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51864.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	1780269   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66322.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	1780270   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87567.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	1780271  
Old 07-09-2012, 07:03 PM
rcmadnessp51

Mr67stang,

I like your sig it came out nice, How douse she fly?? I have seen these fly before and they look like they fly nice.

Any how happy flying
Old 07-09-2012, 07:22 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mr67stang,

I like your sig it came out nice, How douse she fly?? I have seen these fly before and they look like they fly nice.

Any how happy flying
It likes looks better the faster you fly. I was going for speed with this plane so I glassed the wing center section since I have folded a wing once before on another speed project. All in all, it has no bad tendencies at all.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaZuuaetpAU]Maiden flight video[/link]
Old 07-09-2012, 07:33 PM
rcmadnessp51

Wow she is fast.

Nice Job
Old 07-10-2012, 12:18 AM
kiwibob72

..... So they started airing the commercial this week and my Beast is a movie star LOL..

That was a cool story, and I really like the carbon prop and spinner ..... "purrrrdy"
Old 07-12-2012, 12:04 PM
kiwibob72

I was out of town for a couple of days and managed to get myself a nice wooden silver painted wooden prop for the P51, dam that thing is big compared to the on on my .61 glow powered yak (not quite you beasts prop there RCMADNESS) - though I feel it'll look slightly inadequate when I get around to getting the nito heli out with it's 600mm/23" long main blades on each side.
That said, at under NZ$24 for the 16*8, I do like the 'cheapness' of the prop when comparing to the cost of heli blades, of which I spend more than that on just the tail blades, and up to $160-180 on the main blades.
Shame the rest of the plane didn't come in like that!

Will look to get a motor stand built at work next week so I can FINALLY test bed the DLE20!
Old 07-31-2012, 05:43 PM
chaos2984

rcmadness  do you like how it flies with the 14x10 on there.  I flew mine with a 16x8 and it flew good until it crashed.  But I'm rebuilding the wings.  i had the club pro madden  it and it flew great with a 16x8 on it. (no cowl at the time)  It flew good but as he was landing the engine cut out for some reason and he tried to save it as best he could and it came down hard on the main gear and pushed them threw the wings.  and the engine pulled the firewall off the plane.  But the main fuse and tail is completely intact.  I put the engine on a friends sig and flying it on there to make sure the engine is ok before i put it back on the p-51.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:08 AM
rcmadnessp51

Chaos2984,

Yes it flew fine with the 14x10, I had a16x8 on it for the maiden and it ran very hot and my motor didnt turn up very well, with the 14x10 the motor seems to run cooler and it turns up nicely, I also added another opening for cooling (see picture back in this thread) I may get back to the 16x8 after this motor is well broken in.

The plane is a solid flyer.

I have lost my blue nose to a bad battery pack on the rx, total loss, (motor looks to be ok)I am pretty depressed about it and have ordered a replacement

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.