Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

SEAGULL T-6A Texan ???

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

SEAGULL T-6A Texan ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 06:01 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SEAGULL T-6A Texan ???

I am looking for your comments on this ARF. T-6A TEXAN II

Is it a good flyer ?

What engine did you install? ( I have Jett 90L, OS 90FX Saitio 100)

How is the build Quality ??

thanks, RAE
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85401.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	1700092  
Old 12-14-2011, 08:46 PM
greyfoxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SEAGULL T-6A Texan ???

Hey Crazy4flight;

I just purchased the Seagull 120 size AT-6 (Christmas Gift to myself. My wife would be proud as they have them on sale at a bargin right now for $275.00 @ Horizon. She loves sales, and will buy something on sale even if it's not needed, a female thing, so I though what the heclk, if it works for her, it will surely work for me, right????).

I have not started on it yet, but have had it out drooling all over it. It looks well built. I'm going to use a Turnigy 26cc gas engine in mine. It will require a little reworking forward of the firewall as they built the mounts for the elevator servos and the rudder servo forward of the firewall to compensate for it being a little tail-heavy with a glow engine, but put the throttle servo behind the firewall. It comes with the motor mount for glow engines or small gas engines pre-installed. I plan on mounting my engine with stand-offs and putting those servos behind the firewall and moving the ignition battery & throttle servo forward of the firewall. I intend to install electric (e-flite) retracts in mine as well.

There is a build thread showing a rear-carburatered gas engine installation that leaves the elevator servos forward of the fire wall, but has the ignition battery and all other servos behind the firewall. I thought I had it saved, but have not been able to find it.

From what I've read, & from the videos I've seen on youtube, it is a nice flying model, but have not personally experienced flying it yet. The owner of the local HS has the Top Flite 60 size and says it is a great flyer.

It will probably be sometime after the Christmas Decorations get put away before I can get started on this thing as there are Christmas Decoration Storage Boxes stacked everywhere in my shop!!!! Bah Humbug!! LOL!

Keep in touch, and I'll keep in touch as I go along. I'm just a little slow when it comes to putting my models together, and you may get yours and maiden it before I do!

Just remember; "Experience is a hard teacher. She always gives the test first, and the lesson sometime later!
pr
Old 12-15-2011, 04:53 AM
miklos
My Feedback: (38)

Hate to put a damper on your xmas shopping, but you can get the 120 size for $249 with free shipping from www.wholesaleplanes.com
Thinking about geting one myself and putting a Saito 180 in it. Can't beat if for the price and looks. Anyone know what retracts will fit in this bird?
Also, Model Airplane News has a review of the 120 size by Rich Uravitch in its December 2010 magazine.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:10 AM
AA5BY

There is a current thread for the Seagull AT-6 that might be informative.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9669263/tm.htm

It is a very good flier. I'd rate the flight to be docile while a little more demanding on landing, because it is a war bird and must land reasonably fast especially having no flaps, it then becomes a matter of managing it to avoid nosing over. For that reason, I opted not to go with the retracts and I'd suggest not using them on other than a hard surface runway.

The issue is simple. The stock struts and mounts are designed for a good bit of forward rake of the main gear. The retract wheel wells are however positioned for no forward rake of retracts. If one compared the Seagull to the CMP version, the CMP version locates the wheel wells fully forward so that the strut can have a bend in it to provide forward positioning of the wheels. On the Seagull version, retracts on a grass field in my opinion would be too tipsy.

Edit note: Pardon my ignorance, I didn't know there was a T-6A Texan and thought you were referring to the AT-6. I see it listed by Horizon. It is 75-90 size tricycle gear plane.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:46 AM
greyfoxx

I was aware of the price from wholesale planes, but for the difference, I'll do business with my local HS. Same thing with Wal-Mart; sometimes you cannot avoid going there, but will do business with the local members of our community as often as I can. As for retracts, Robart Air Retracts will work, and with some modification, e-flite electric retracts will work. I'm going to use the e-flite electric myself. I do wish they would have mounted the LG a little forward to guard against the nose-over prevelant in many of the war-birds. And yes, I fly off of grass, mowed very close once or twice a week and rolled twice a year, but can still be a problem if your not on your toes! That's why I am such a believer in; "Experience is a hard teacher. She always gives the test first and the lesson some time later!"
pr
Old 12-15-2011, 02:02 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

T6-A Texan II (turboprop)

not the AT-6 (WW-II)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77233.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	1700414  
Old 12-15-2011, 05:57 PM
greyfoxx

Opps! My bad, I though you were talking about the WWII Model.

Like I said, "Experience is a hard teacher. She always gives the test first and the lesson some time later!"
pr
Old 01-01-2012, 09:16 PM
geeter
My Feedback: (110)

the new texan beechcraft is a good plane. seagull done their homework on this one. my flying buddy just built one. flew it this week. os,.95 4 stroke for power. nice scale looks and retracts that work great. these are 3/16 struts on the retracts. they are strong. the engine is mounted inverted. what a nice flyer and you couldn't want more scale looks than this has. i was so impressed i bought one from horizon hobby. not 229.00 either. 174.95 free shipping......but 13.50 oversize. 188.00 total. i have a saito 100 4 stroke going in it. this is the max. it requires 7 servos with the retracts. just standdard ones like futaba 3004. have it this week so i'll let you know how i like it..............RON