Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Thunder Tiger Cenna 177 and Float set

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Thunder Tiger Cenna 177 and Float set

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 01:28 PM
Basil Yousif
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thunder Tiger Cenna 177 and Float set

I just purchased this ARF Plane /Float comboi from Tower - Thunder Tiger Cessna 177 #4595 and Float set 3025/3. The site sais the 3025/3 Float set is compatable but it looks like the 3025/1 is the right float set. The mounting hardware looks different and the decal is red not blue. Will this float set work with the Cessna 177 or do I have to return it for an exchange for the 3025/1 Floats. The site sais these Float sets 3025/1 and 3025/3 are the same. Also I have only one Float mounting Bracket - shouldn't it have two one for the front and one for the back. Also the decal set is red and the cessna is blue.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:00 PM
tande
My Feedback: (48)

Default RE: Thunder Tiger Cenna 177 and Float set

I have this airframe with the floats.....I would say you need the #3025/1 float kit.....bought mine before "Tower" started carrying them....
Old 02-12-2012, 05:13 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I may be able to answer at least part of your problem. I've owned 2 of the Cessna's and still have a couple other (ARC) plastic planes.

1. The floats are the same for all the (ARC) ThunderTiger plastic planes. They just use different mounts.
2. You will have to call Tower to confirm but I'd guess that the 3025/3 or 3025/1 would be the color of the float trim. It's just trim, do your own thing .
3. Now we get fussy ~~ on the Cessna, you use your normal rear landing gear mount to mount to the rear of the float. You should have gotten an extra mount that looks like the rear gear mount except that it has an odd shaped flat piece on the top that will mount in place of your normal nose mount. You have to remove your nose mount .
Also you should have a set of instructions that explain what I just wrote, if not call Tower and give them a hard time.

By the way, you have one of the best float planes out there. I wish I still had mine. Take your time setting it up and if you haven't flown RC planes DON'T try this plane without experienced help, it would be a shame to wipe it out on the first TRY. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 02-12-2012, 10:07 PM
Basil Yousif

I fly Warbirds and 3D Gassers and Heli's so this should be easy. The only thing is I haven't flown a Float plane yet. I figure it's a extra activity to do when going camping on the lake.
The Float set I got has a curved Front landing gear Bracket included but the cessna rear landing gear are straight. Also I don't think the Front Mount on this Float bracket screws on to the motor mount. It has a square mount with four holes to mount it on the firewall where the front strut (for the regular nose wheel) woud go. The cessna has a triangular front nosewheel mount there different.
Is epoxy the best glue say for the motor mount or is there a better glue for ABC plastic
Old 02-13-2012, 01:25 PM
red head

I'm sorry but I don't follow your description of your landing gear, it doesn't sound right to me.
Go to the tower / thunder tiger web site and look at the picture of the cessna on floats. Notice that the landing gear ( float mounts ) are both the same and mount on the float the same. There is a difference in the front set when it mounts to the firewall mount, it only has 1 bolt hole in each side where the main gear has 2 bolt holes in each section of the gear mount.
On the firewall mount (for the floats ) the square flat piece you refered to that has 4 holes in it, does it have 4 or 5 holes ? Mine has 5 holes, 2 at the top & 2 at the bottom then 1 in between the 4. The landing gear ( float mounts ) bolt to the bottom 2. Then the top and center 1 line up on the firewall where your original nose gear mounted and will be bolted in at that point.
I hope this helps, I'm not big on the computer so I can't send you any pictures but if we go back and forth enough we might figure out your set up.
AS far as the glue goes there is a special glue for ABS but I'm not sure of the name, it's put out by "BFS". I used epoxy and ca on all mine and it worked fine.
You ask about using Epoxy on the motor mount, did you mean the fire wall , if so yes it will be fine just be sure and score any places you are glueing. Now if that wasn't what you ment I'm not sure where you are using the glue on the motor mount because it ( the motor mount ) bolts to the firewall.
If you are just starting to assemble this plane BE SURE and score any and all places you are glueing, I just use a hobby knife and score cross hatches in all the glue areas.
Now that I have totally confused you I hope you can figure it all out. I check back here every couple days and I'll be looking to see how you make out. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 02-13-2012, 11:33 PM
Basil Yousif

Here's a picture of the Front float Bracket that comes with this Float set and look at the front bracket in the picture on the box. There different because this bracket goes to another plane. Check it out
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87736.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	421.3 KB
ID:	1726793   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57759.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	382.1 KB
ID:	1726794   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78437.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	406.2 KB
ID:	1726795  
Old 02-13-2012, 11:36 PM
Basil Yousif

Here's the Front Bracket that comes with this float set see how it's curved unlike the cessna landing gear which is straight. I think this is for another plane and not the cessna. It's hard to get a hold of Thunder Tiger service through Hobbico they don't return E-mails

Name:	Lj22814.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	421.3 KB
ID:	1726796   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64695.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	382.1 KB
ID:	1726797   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31959.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	406.2 KB
ID:	1726798  
Old 02-14-2012, 11:07 AM
red head

That mount is the one used on the "Thunder Tiger Ready ". You need to "CALL " tower and get the right one for the Cessna. E mail is fine for some things but people are better .

I 'm going to defend Tower a bit here but it's still their fault if you got the Cessna from them. Tower has only been handling these planes a short while and probably haven't run into this yet as they haven't had the floats on a regular basis as far as I know. ( out of stock )

As said the Cessna takes a special front mount and it just takes the place of your nose mount , it's real easy to take off and on if you have the right one. BE SURE you get the carbon cross braces that go with the set. You can see them in your 3rd picture.

While we are on this subject: when you put the mounts ( mount adapters ) on the floats I have a couple suggestions. The adapters have some small plastic plugs that are glued into the float then the adapters are screwed into the plugs, here is the problem ( don't ask how I know ). Those plugs can PULL OUT if not anchored real good. I suggest that you make a little extra room inside the float and fill it with epoxy then put the plug in. Don't enlarge the out side just the inside of the float so that the glue forms a larger area under the skin of the float so the plug can't pull out.

Again as I said before : SCORE any and all areas to be glued . You never said what size engine you are going to use ????? You should really ENJOY the Cessna either on or off the floats. Just remember to set your CG about 1/4 " behind the normal CG but put the weight on the float so you don't have to change it when taking the floats off. As far as flying goes NO big deal just fly it like it was a tail dragger and all will be fine. A good example of a clean take off would be a CUB . Start down the runway ( water ) holding full up and slowly raise the tail as you get speed till it's level then give it just a click or 2 of up when you are up to speed ( on the step ) . ENJOY !!! RED
Old 02-14-2012, 11:52 AM
Basil Yousif

I called the Customer Service and there sending me out the correct bracket for the Cessna 177 and a Decal Set Yipeeee!!
I'll make sure to mount the floats correctly like your saying. Alot of manufacturers have therse weak points in ther products like Nitro Planes. You just have to modify around them and replace alot of the rickety cheap hardware they give you. Like CA hinges for a 1.20 size plane.

I don't think there are any plugs for mounting screw in the floats, all I see is two sets of pilot holes in the top of the Float. Wow I hope the floats are the same as in the 3025/1 set. That would be bunk to have the wrong floats.

I have three engines I can put in this plane, A Thunder Tiger .91 Four stroke engine, a KnB Twist .61 Gold head engine and a OS max .71 Four stroke engine.
I'm probably going with the KnB , it's light has alot of power and made of good metal so it can take a little water splash.

This looks like a good plane for flying of water- it's all plastic and can't be damaged by water splashing on it. I have a big sea plane event comming up in May should be able to get this thing going for that.

I have Three Hitec HS325HB servos and Two Futaba 3004 Servos to use are these good enough torqu for this plane. If so would you put the Futaba 3004's on the Ailerons.

Name:	Tr51864.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	403.0 KB
ID:	1727020   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23024.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	397.6 KB
ID:	1727021  
Old 02-14-2012, 12:28 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Make sure you check the placement of these. I've seen a few that wouldn't rotate off of the water without a bunch of power and yanking it off the water, because the instructions had the placement of the floats in the wrong place.

That was a 2 or 3 years ago hopefully they corrected it.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:21 PM
Basil Yousif

I think the placment of the floats is pretty much set. I think they more than likely fixed the problem. If not is there any way to figure out where the floats should be if they are not in the right spot with the stock installation.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:12 PM
red head

The floats ARE in the right place, you just might have to adjust the CG a bit. I never had to on mine but did a little for a friend . Ratation shouldn't be a problem, most of the time I've seen a problem it was because the3y didn't get up to lift off speed and tried to rotate to soon. It just takes practice.

One thing to watch for is prop clearance between the floats , I had OS 91's in mine and ended up going to a 13 " 3 blade prop . I loved that prop on that engine as it also worked as a brake when landing if you pulled back on the power a bit. SWEET.

You have the right floats and in the kit there should be 8 plastic post about 1 " long that will go in those dimples on the float once you drill them out, keep the fit tight. If you don't have the plugs you can always use dowel but you would need to do a bit of water proofing so they wouldn't swell. You could also use the plastic plugs that come with the screw sets that you put in wall board to hang pictures etc., you can get those at Home Depot, just watch the size.

The 3004 servos should do a good job for the ailerons, I'd use them, for what that's worth. By the way you only need the one water rudder that they supply. Some folks will try to convince you that you need 2, but if you use a little throttle control 1 works great.

Now you have me wishing I still had mine and could go float flying, it's really a blast and the landings with this plane are more fun then you should be able to have. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 02-20-2012, 08:58 AM
Basil Yousif

Did you use a OS .91 Four stroke engine with the plane. I have a Thunder Tiger .91 Four stroke engine I can use but it's heavy the KnB .61 is alot lighter.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:19 AM
red head

I used an OS 91 in mine and it is a shoe in fit but once in it's great. I liked the 91 because I could use a 3 bladed prop efficiently, I don't like them on 2 strokes but then I haven't really tried hard. A friend had a 60 2 stroke in his and it was fine I just liked the way mine could drop in when I pulled back on the power. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 02-21-2012, 10:38 AM
Basil Yousif

The Thunder Tiger .91 Four stroke I have is almost identical to the OS .91 I think it's a copy of the engine. I might just throw that in instead of the KnB .61 I'll keep that engine for a P51 as it has a Pitts muffler and I don't think the Cessna 177 can take a Pitts muffler. I'll try the 13" x 3 blade prop I have one of those also. The sound of the Four Stroke engine is nicer it sounds like a real airplane motor.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:09 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

If the floats aren't within 1/4 inch of the CG they are in the wrong place.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:49 PM
red head

If he has the ARC / Cremona floats that Thunder Tiger sells for the Cessna and he uses the mounts as they are on the floats there won't be any problem. They were designed to be togeather and they work fine that way. I agree that the CG should be verified that it is real close to the plane CG . All the ARC floats that I have used on the ARC / Thunder Tiger planes work fine, in fact I have floated all the ARC planes that use floats. Ready, Beaver and Cessna sometimes more then once. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 02-23-2012, 04:52 PM
red head

Before I forget it: I need to remind you that the 91 4 Stroke is a close fit and takes a little fiddeling to get it in but it's worth it. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 02-26-2012, 02:33 PM
Basil Yousif

I'll check if my TT .91 fits, just got the parts to make the float set work for the Cessna. They threw in averything else in just so nothing can go wrong - Great Service!!