Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hanger 9 Pulse XT 60 Receiver Mounting

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hanger 9 Pulse XT 60 Receiver Mounting

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 11:13 AM
STOKEY
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hanger 9 Pulse XT 60 Receiver Mounting

Hello Everyone
I am trying to finish up getting my new Hanger 9 Pulse XT 60 ready to fly. Its going to replace my Stinger I destroyed last summer. It is going well, however I do have a concern or questions about where to mount the receiver. I am installing a Futaba R617FS 7ch 2.4 . In trying to stay with the suggested 90 degree seperation for the antennae there are not many choices in this plane for mounting. I have selected an area that would put it just above the wing and the antennae would be very slightly behind the metal pipe wing joiner. I am fearful this could be an issue. Any thoughts on this. Wondering if mounting in a place to get the antennae below the wing would work better, as it would be more visible when airborne. Mayb I'm just making a large issue out of a small one???? in the past I've only use 72 mg radios and know nothing about the new 2.4 band. Does anyone have any pictures of their install, or suggestions or advice for a place to mount and run the antennae??? Any help would surely be appreciated.

Regards
Stokey
Old 03-08-2012, 11:19 AM
dignlivn

Default RE: Hanger 9 Pulse XT 60 Receiver Mounting

Can you mount it on the side of the fuse ? using velcro.

Bob
Old 03-08-2012, 01:15 PM
MercerAUST

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is mounted on the side fuselage using double sided tape.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:55 PM
STOKEY

Thanks for the reply guys. My concerns are not so much with the actual mounting of the receiver case, but rather the routing of the two short antennae.

Bill
Old 03-09-2012, 01:49 PM
Mustang Fever
My Feedback: (2)

Bill: the pix show how I did it. Futaba allows gentle curving of the insulated part of the anntenae, so I stick 'em in old pieces of small pushrod tubing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23294.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	1736818   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37658.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	1736819  
Old 03-09-2012, 06:41 PM
STOKEY

Bob
Thanks much. I really appreciate the photos. Do you or have you ever had any issues with reception when range testing with antennas hidden deep in the fuselage of the plane like this?? I probably worry too much as I am used to have the long antenna outside the plane with the "old school" type receivers. Again, thanks for going to the trouble of taking pics and posting them for me. Really made me feel better. Have a good weekend.

Bill
Old 03-09-2012, 08:41 PM
Mustang Fever

Bill:

I have 12 fixed wing aircraft and one big electric heli. All use the Futaba 6EX system with antennae mounted much as you see in the photos. They are all inside the airplanes and I've never had any problems after using Futaba 6EX for about seven years.

However, I will pass along my meager knowledge of microwave propagation and reception:

1. Metal reflects microwaves. This is why it's really not a good idea to fly indoors with 2.4 systems. Any metal in the building can result in the same signal arriving at the receiver at different times, with possible loss of control being the result.

2. Carbon fiber absorbs microwaves. This is why various stealth aircraft use various forms of carbon coating or sheathing to help them have a smaller radar signature.

Because of these two factors, Futaba recommends that the metal ends of the antennae not be located closer than 1/2" from either metallic or carbon parts of the aircraft.

I go a little further, due to all the "unexplained" loss of control crashes by jet aircraft at Joe Nall last year: get the Rx and its antennae as far away as possible from metal objects of significant size and mass, and never put the antennae inside a carbon fiber frame or box. (My heli is the only A/C I have where I've mounted the receiver outside on one of the CF frames, and run the antennae forward and down away from the CF frame) If I had a turbine jet, my Rx would be in the vertical fin, with one antenna pointed directly at the engine so that reflections from there would not affect it, and the other at 90 degrees to it, pointed up and away from the fuse.

Don't forget to angle the transmitter antenna up and centered before you fly. (Never straight out away from the unit.) There is a cone of silence at the the tip of all tx antennae, and if you make it possible to point your antenna directly at the aircraft, someday you will, and you might lose control.

Having said all that, don't get scared away from 2.4 by all this. Some fellows in the U.K. ran all kinds of tests with Futaba receivers inside metal cans inside jet aircraft, and had no problems. People do all kinds of stupid things with the antennae and get away with it. I prefer to give the system every chance to work correctly.

Name:	Ay75879.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	1736936   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14591.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	1736937   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53681.jpg
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	1736938  
Old 03-10-2012, 08:27 PM
STOKEY

Bob
Thanks very much for your pictures and information. I feel much better now. Almost have everything ready to go with the Pulse XT60. Couple more days of mounting the receiver and giving the plane a final "once over". Looks like another week of good weather here in Wyoming, and will be warm enough to fly. Whoopeeeee!!! summer is finally here. Thanks again for your help

Bill

my other hobby is: [link]http://www.basinweather.com[/link]
Old 03-10-2012, 08:34 PM
Mustang Fever

Glad to, man.

You'll love the Pulse. I think it's the most well behaved 60 size bird around.

I powered mine with an OS 75AX, turning a 15x5 wood prop. Gobs of thrust and about 45mph maxed out. The Pulse does not like to go fast- lots of reports in the forums of them coming apart if you try, so beware. Go up in diameter and down in pitch.

I also have the 25e Pulse. The pics show what I do most of the time with the pair.

Name:	Rp42490.jpg
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	1737312   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76089.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	336.2 KB
ID:	1737313