Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

CMP Kits – Problems and Solutions

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

CMP Kits – Problems and Solutions

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 01:57 PM
AK Models

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CMP Kits – Problems and Solutions

First let me tell all of you why I decided to start this thread.
I am a new distributor of CMP kits (AK-Models.com), although I been selling some other ARF kits, CMP is a new line for me. I decided to go with CMP because of their outstanding line of ARK kits from Scale Warbirds to 3D Aerobatics models and pattern ships.
Quality of CMP kits in my opinion is very high compare to many other manufacturers and I believe CMP has great potential, BUT some of the kits do have PROBLEMS; varying from so-so quality of hardware to wing failures. Being new with this line of kits I find necessary to be well informed of problems YOU guys having with these kits. My goal is to work with YOU actual flyers to pin point problems, identify solutions to fix them and pass them on to YOU flyers and future customers AND manufacturer (CMP) so they can in turn address problems and make their kits of even higher quality.
I know there are few people that have personal problems with GSP and CMP, I would like to ask you not to go in to that again (there are many threads covering that). I ask you please be specific in your replies: tell us what model you are talking about, size, engine used, problems uncovered and ways to fix it. This is it. Please, Please, Please no bashing.... Problems and solutions ONLY. Also let’s concentrate on problems in last few years ranges as I am sure all previous once were already addressed. For once let’s make this thread helpful and useful for the best of our hobby.

If you prefer not to make your statements public please e-mail me direct at: [email protected]

Thank you.

Alex @ AKM.

Old 11-15-2005, 09:07 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: CMP Kits – Problems and Solutions

Model: CMP F6F Hellcat
Engine used: Saito 150
Problem: entire rear stab flutters at high speed
Solution: reinforce the interior of the fuselage at the rear stab area with wood, glass cloth, and epoxy
Old 11-15-2005, 10:25 AM
AK Models

This is what we need! Thank you.
Keep it coming guys...
Old 12-09-2005, 12:19 PM
zxj14

This is wonderful as AKM stated all kits have some faults and pluses. Let's come together and add to the solution of the defects. And as we learn from one another, we can then have confidence that we can build on what was already designed. Things like, what are the weak points on the FW190, - this is my next project. I would like to know what the faults are with this plane. Has anyone flown it? What flight characteristics does it have in the air? I was going to use a Thundertiger 3000? Is this too much power?I'm desperetly trying to find a scale looking nose for it! Any Ideas would be very helpful. We at www.Glowrc.com are still offering 20% off all models until the end of this year as a good gesture to the RC community. We are in So. Cal. so before ordering please consider shipping.

Thanks
Joe Webster
www.GlowRC.com
Old 12-09-2005, 03:44 PM
sbaugz
My Feedback: (37)

Plane: GSP hellcat
problem: the grey paint on the wing and misc parts practically falls off when you look at it, let alone touch it.
solution: better adhering paint or maybe go to no paint at all and flat colored covering.

Plane: C160 transall
very good quality with no problems to date and I have owned two of them

Old 12-09-2005, 06:06 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Alex, my hats off to you. You are one brave man taking on the legacy left by GSP!

I have long maintained that the principal problem with CMP airplanes in the US lies with the distribitor - GSP. They have done so much to malign the brand image of these airplanes that it will be a monumental task to win back the overwhelmingly negative popular opinion. I have had many of the airplanes GSP distributes (not all of them were produced by CMP) and have sold them to friends as well. I have experience first hand just how ingrained the sour attitude people have towards anything associated with GSP.

CMP ARFs are mostly excellent products. Now there are minor annoynces from kit to kit that could be easily fixed. A good distributor would have:

1. Discovered them when testing samples and prototypes, then instruct the factory to correct them before initial shipment, or...
2. Responded quickly to customer feedback/complaint, then instruct the factory to correct them on next batch.

A good example is the canopy mounting method of the 72" Extra. It really needs to be redesigned so that the plastic canopy gets attached to a detachable canopy frame.

Another good example is the 72" Yak. Great flying machine and exquisite worksmanship. The landing gear & spats, however, is too scale and not at all rugged enough, espeically flying off grass. Changing to a conventional aluminum bracket (maybe angle forward to maintain the scale appearance) would be a much better compromize. The canopy hatch design is better than the 72" Extra, but it too can be improved by redesigning the mounting method. Maybe some preshaped woodblock that fit into the fiberglass rim would make it easier to sink mounting screws into. The canopy mounting base is unecessarily complex, which makes it heavy. Simplify/lighten it will shave quite a few Oz. of the plane with very little impact on scale realism.

Either 72" ARF should ditch the rubberband between eyehook method of securing the wing panels. Go with thumbscrews or flanged capscrews instead.

I am very glad to see you actively seeking feedback. It will be a uphill battle and at time frustrating, but if you persist, you will eventually prevail. Good luck.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:44 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm on my 3rd one of these.

Plane: CMP 3D Giles 40 size
Engine: Tower .75 (I know, but it hovers at 1/2 throttle and pulls out like you shot it from a cannon)
Problems:
Firewall is weak. It's just 2 pieces of lite ply and it's very weak. I cut it out with a hobby knife--takes about 2 minutes. I replace it with 1/4" hard ply.

It needs a tailwheel. The wire skid that comes in the kit is useless. You can't control the plane on the ground unless your constantly blipping the throttle to get the rudder to work--then you end up taxiing around at unsafe speeds.

The Stock wire gear is weak. I replace it with aluminum gear. Specifically, I buy the gear from the Great Planes 25% Giles ARF. Cut about 1" off each side (2-piece gear) and then install a hardwood plate in the fuse to bolt it up.

The pushrods could be upgraded to a heavier size. I find them to be kind of undersized for this plane. It's similar to 2-56 size and it needs to be closer to 4-40 size.

This is a longshot:
I'd like to see the fuse design changed. It's VERY weak under the wing saddle. This is because the whole top of the fuse is the plastic canopy.

Change the design so that the wing attaches from the bottom and has a belly pan on it. Build up the top of the fuse like most other planes and get a standard size canopy instead of the huge plastic piece that the plane has now.

This would add a tremendous amount of strength. The plane isn't really all that light to begin with--so changing the fuse desin won't kill it.

I know that this would involve a complete redesign of the aircraft, and also a re-tool at the factory. It probably won't happen, but it would make the plane a lot nicer. Just wishing out loud more than anything.

If you could get the LG, firewall, and hardware beefed up--I'd be tickled.

Thanks for listening. I hope this was constructive.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:21 PM
KBAirplanes

Cmp P-40: DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE!!!

I just flew this aircraft for the first time yesterday and it crashed the first flight. The plane went into a violent spin the first flight and it was a complete loss. The plane was flying full power in a slight turn and it went into an uncontrollable spin. Keep in mind that I was flying about as fast as I could with the .46 I had in it. This is not my first warbird and know that there is something really wrong with this design. I think the suggested C.G. is way off. I would be extremelly wary of anyone buying one of these.

Cmp Katana 50 Problems:

1.) The system that the plane uses to hold the plug-in wings together is awkward at best. It uses a spring in the front to hold the wings together, but the spring is so far forward in the cramped nose that you really need a special tool in order to put the wings on. This would be an especially difficult task to do if you were at the field and really wastes a lot of time. This problem definitely needs to be solved.

2.) The cut-outs for the horizontal stab. are cut wrong, so the horizontal stab. sits at a fairly severe angle (I did my best to try to fix this problem, but it is close to impossible to get it 100% straight.)

3.) The pre-drilled holes for the landing gear were drilled at the wrong places so the holes have to be re-drilled and new blind nuts installed.

4.) The included axles for the landing gears will not work (the shoulder of the axle is too long).

5.) Mounting the engine mount to the fire wall is extremelly difficult because of the extremelly tight nose spaces and could be made easier.

Note: other than these problems, the plane is constructed well and is of high-quality.

Cmp C-160

This aircraft is extremelly well-built, is a great flyer, and looks really nice. I am really impressed with this plane and it flies great. In fact, I have had 2 engine out emergencies with this plane and both times I was able to complete a complete circuit and easily return home for a perfect 3-point landing.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:18 PM
zxj14

Dear Friends

I hope this information helps in regards to C/G I've spoken to a Flight Engineer regarding this problem and was told that 25% from the leading edge is a good point to start with. With that being said, I'm sure that I just opened a can of worms. Not all planes are created equally so this, I hope, will caues others to help find some of the answers to this problem. Regarding bad engineering issues, some of the problems seem to be easely fixed and can give you something to do on rainy days. ARF have some good points. For example, most of us have little time to build and have less time to repair. So before you take it up, take time and check it over.

CMP, in my opinion, puts out a good product for the price. Forums like this are extremely helpful in finding answers to these problems. Keep the good comments coming. I appreciate them. I'm working on my CMP FW190. I don't want to crash it! If anybody has any suggestions regarding this airplane, I would appreciate it.

Joe Webster
www.glowrc.com
Old 12-12-2005, 10:42 AM
Rv man

They were supposed to come out with a 100'' Corsair, That looked pretty good, Does any one know what happen to it.

Rich
Old 12-12-2005, 12:22 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Model: 120 Spitfire
-Reinforced the retract mounts. Lightening holes should not be cut into the ribs the retract rails are attached to.
-Threw away all metal hardware and used my own. The first screw head twisted off.
-Paint chips off if you sneeze on it or look at it.
-Instructions practically useless. Big problem is drilling wing mounting holes. Should move them inward another 10 to 15 mm. You drill thru the fuse wing fairing if you follow the instructions. Too easy to go too deep. Only usefull data was CG. If you look closely at the GSP web site at the sample Spitfire you'll see a patch where the builder did the same thing.
-Didnt use supplied pushrods. I used 4-40 rod in tube.
-Could not align engine crankshaft based on instructions. Figured it out myself (no big deal).
-Spare parts available?
-Flys great love it.

Model: 120 Zero
-Threw away all metal hardware again.
-Paint chips so bad I repainted it.
-Instructions still poor. Only usefull data is CG.
-Eyeballed engine alignment to get it right. (Still no big deal)
Still working on it, not finished yet.

For the money they provide a good BASE to start with. I build anyway and this just shortens the time a bit. But that paint is horrendous. I cant imagine anybody building one stock and it lasting very long. But then again, if they were a quality product, the price would be higher. I'm content with having a solid base product and providing my own hardware. I'm pretty picky about that.

Edwin

Old 12-12-2005, 05:28 PM
zxj14

Hi Rich;

I haven't heard of it yet, if you find out let me know I just sold one or the 120 size F4U. Checked it out before shipping it and it looks very nice.

Joe

www.glowrc.com we're still offering 20% off all aircraft till end of the year!
Old 12-12-2005, 11:37 PM
AK Models

Hi Joe,
This thread was intended for problems and solutions only. In all 3 posts you have made here all 3 were of advertising nature and did not offer any help or reported a problem.
If you need to get advertising please start your own thread elsewhere or reserve space in modelers magazines. Thank you.

All other folks, Thank you for coming forward with your comments and recommendations. Keep them coming. Thank you.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:48 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never purchased one of the CMP models myself. However one of the reasons, is the report that all the markings on the one model I had an interest in were part of the covering. That being the larger P-40, which in the pics, on the sites shows grossly incorrect markings. If this not the case, then disregard this post, and I will revisit the notion of this plane.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:59 PM
zxj14

Hi ak thank you for being the monitor of rcunivers I'm sure that they realy need your help. But to ansewer you quition if you look real carefull you'll see that I've been asking for assistance with my fw-190 and offerd a sorce for a gentilmans inquery on a c-130 and everyone can see that! Not only did you not reply to him but told him to see your website. Thank you AK for beeing a good watch dog.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:34 PM
zxj14

Hello to everyone again:

I try not to stoop to others I believe that everyone should be able to express him/here veiwpoints on matters so with that being said again if any one has any helpful advice on CMP's FW-190 I'm going to use a supertiger 3000 is this a bit much for this plane?does this plane have any funny traits to it. and just so that everyone knows that I'm going to offer to pay all shipping fee's on any KMP product and we'er still offering 20% off all CMP products! stock is running down fast so just to let you know we still have some planes left. Akmodels you should offer a good jesture as well.And thank you so much for all of you imput like offering solutions to some of the problems that cmp has like C/G and all.

Joe
www.glowrc.com for 20 % off all CMP planes!
Old 12-13-2005, 07:00 PM
Rcpilot

Joe:
ALEX started this thread because he is a distributor and he wanted feedback from customers so that he could work with the factory to fix design issues.

YOU came on here and started advertising. If YOU were ever interested in recieving customer feedback on the planes--why didn't YOU start a thread months ago or years ago?

I think that you are using this thread to advertise--and your undercutting Alex' attempts to get customer feedback.

That just goes to show the lack of personal character you really have and what kind of businessman you really are.

If you want to advertise--I'm sure RCU will be glad to sign you up.

Otherwise--take it somewhere else.

You got balls coming on here and hijacking the guys thread to do your advertising. And then you have the audacity to tell the guy that he should be offering discounts too. Are you running his business or is he? You worry about your own business and let Joe worry about his.

I'll be buying from AK--even if he doesn't offer a 20% discount. Character is worth something--of which you seem to be lacking.

I just call 'em like I see 'em dude.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:23 PM
zxj14

Hello RC Pilot-
I'm so sorry that we offended you. I did offer a suggestion of where the gentlement could purchase a C130 through www. grandwingservo.com. I did offer a suggestion on how to locate the cg on any wing. I have been asking for any comments on CMP FW190. I'm a radio control enthusiast interested in a good conversation with other radio controlled enthusiast. I'm sorry you felt the need to call me up and swear at me on my phone because I offer 20% discounts. I believe that people are free to shop wherever they like. Good luck to you!

Joe Webster
Glowrc.com
Old 12-13-2005, 07:32 PM
Rcpilot

Yeah, well, I though it needed to be said.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:36 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok folks.

I've let this go long enough and now it's time to step in

Members may reply to these threads and vendors may follow up with answers, support or additional information.

No "sale" ads or graphical ads allowed. This is for dissemination of product announcement, market research or pertinent news strictly.
By the RCU rules if a manufacturer starts a thread regarding information on a product, they are allowed to ask for input and other information pertinent to that product

The rules do not allow another company to come into the thread and post links to products they sell.

So based on this rule I will be removing the threads in question and any reference to them.

Please keep this thread on track for the intended purpose.

thanks
Old 12-13-2005, 11:07 PM
Rcpilot

Thank you.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:34 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Thank you, II
Old 12-14-2005, 10:11 PM
AK Models

Read bottom e-mail first...
They are willing to work with us, lets collect some data...

Dear Alex,

We are aware of the problems with GSP in the US. This is why we cancel the sole agency with GSP.

I've been to RCUniverse and the people there underatand that CMP and GSP are two different companies and have different policy.
I am happy that you will collect information from the customers and send to us. We are willing to support if there are genuine problems with the kits.

Best regards,
Jacqueline

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 10:29 PM
To: Jacqueline Shum
Subject: (瑞星提示-*郵件可能是垃圾郵件)Re: CMPro

Hi Jacqueline,
I want to be one of your best representative for your products in USA. I
want your products to be the best there is in ARF world.
As you know there were allots of problems between GiantScalePlanes and their
customers. GSP is not very helpful to customers if they have problems.
Some of the problems are small and some are bigger. Customers in USA are
very demanding and it is best if they get what they expect in terms of
quality and service otherwise they will not stop writing BAD comments about
any products. GSP has very BAD reputation and they are associated with YOUR
products very much, so negative feedback on GSP is direct negative feedback
to your products.
I want to help YOU rebuild reputation of your products and CMP in general.
Here is what it will take:
1. I started a system where people can inform me of problems with CMP kits.
They will identify problems with particular kit they have.
I will collect information and forward it to you so design guys and
manufacturers can make improvements.
2. I will need your replies (or people that directly involved in
improvements of the kits) to major problems so I can tell customers what has
been done and what will be done so they can tell other customers that CMP in
fact is trying to be the best ARF company in the world. You see
I truly believe you have huge potential with your products, but will need to
work close with customers and me as your link to them.

I hope that we can have good business relationship for many years. I will
promote your products as well as I can and hop you will be working with me
to help you make your products better.

If you think it would be better for me to write to somebody else please let
know their e-mail, I will write directly to them.
I am awaiting your reply.
Thank you.

Your products sell well! I am very excited. I only hope we can get it even
bigger and better!

Alex @ AKM
Old 12-15-2005, 12:46 AM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Alex, that's the way to do business!

Now, can you work with CMP to come up with some larger (78" wing span and greater) designs? They are missing out on the fast growing gasser ARF market. They seem to do composite well. Some composite 50-60cc class ship to start and test the waters. Later, 75-80cc and 100cc classes can be introduced.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:23 PM
Broken

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alex- I have several of these aircraft:
1.20 Size Sukhoi
1.20 Size Mustang
.40 Size Cessna

All have been good planes and have pics of all three in my gallery. I had some trouble with the mustang (shipping damage) I purchased the plane from raidentech and when I called them for help I got laughed at- (seriously) I contacted Jacklyn in HK and she got everything straitened out for me. She is really good to work with IMHO.

As far quality goes I have had only a few issues with CMP.

1. Instruction Manuals need to be re-written. More details would be nice.
2. Hardware is Junk- I don't use it - It has caused crashes that have been posted here in RCU.
3. Decal Sheets are cheesy (small issue) Thick plastic stickers are poor for that scale look.

That being said I really like the planes and will continue to buy them.. Next up (FW-190)

BTW I have one of ((your)) models. That kind of quality would be to much to ask for from CMP..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.