Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

ARF Glue question

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

ARF Glue question

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 10:00 AM
vidasj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARF Glue question

I've built 7-8 ARF's so far, always using 30min epoxy to glue the horiz/vert stabs in place. Anyone see an issue using a wood glue instead? It seems to me that cleaning off the excess glue would be easier, as its water based, and at least with pine or hardwoods, the glue joint is at leastt as strong as the wood itself. Not sure with balsa and lite ply, but would carpenter's wood glue work just as well?
Old 05-04-2012, 11:04 AM
opjose

Default RE: ARF Glue question

I don't see a problem using it for many areas... however the delay in waiting for things to fully dry makes it prohibitive for me.

I can't imagine laying a couple of parts up and having to wait at least a day...

30 minute epoxy lets me work on one area, put it aside to dry while working on another.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:10 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: opjose

I don't see a problem using it for many areas... however the delay in waiting for things to fully dry makes it prohibitive for me.

I can't imagine laying a couple of parts up and having to wait at least a day...

30 minute epoxy lets me work on one area, put it aside to dry while working on another.

When you are working with epoxy for builds, do you thin it to make it more workable?
Old 05-04-2012, 11:26 AM
opjose

It depends.

I'll thin it for fuel proofing, glassing, and on areas where I want to achieve better penetration into cracks...

When I'm joining most parts subjected to higher loads ( e.g. wing halves together, tails, etc. ) I stick with undiluted epoxy.

The same applies to microballoons... fewer balloons for more strength.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:32 AM
vidasj

I don't thin it except when I use epoxy for fuelproofing- gluing parts together, no.  I'm not in a hurry with the next one- I'm considering replacing the CA hinges with pin hinges, probably gonna use wood glue or gorilla glue for those, as well as the horiz/vert stabs. 

No matter how careful I try to be, I always get epoxy fingerprints or residue somewhere on the plane when I use it- even when I wipe up with alcohol.  I'm gonna try a waterproof carpenter's wood glue, and clean up with water.  The cured glue residue should easily peel off of the covering, since the covering is so slick.  no need to mask off overflow areas with tape either- just a moist rag should do the trick.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:38 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

It actually penetrates the wood and swells things up a bit making a very strong joint.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:14 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

When working with hardwoods carpenter's glue penetrates quite well, especially with an applied clamping force and produces a very high strength bond.

Karol
Old 05-04-2012, 12:59 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: vidasj

No matter how careful I try to be, I always get epoxy fingerprints or residue somewhere on the plane when I use it- even when I wipe up with alcohol.
I've never had ANY problems wiping up non-dry epoxy from planes with alcohol.

No fingerprints, residue, etc...

I just use a paper towel soaked with alcohol and the wet epoxy comes right up.... of course once it dries or starts hardening things are very different.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:21 AM
tevans55

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: vidasj

I'm considering replacing the CA hinges with pin hinges, probably gonna use wood glue or gorilla glue for those
I would not suggest wood glue for plastic/nylon hinges. I typically use Pacer 560 canopy glue.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:04 PM
vidasj

I did a test of gluing a Robart pin hinge into a scrap piece of balsa with a premium carpenter's wood glue.  24hrs later, I can't pull it out for the life of me.  I'll bet if I grab it with pliers and pull on it, some balsa is going to come out as well.

I read in another string some guys were using gorilla glue for pin hinges without issue.  Seems plenty strong.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:57 PM
tevans55

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You may find that the pliers pull test is not the appropriate test. Vibration will most likely be the appropriate test over time.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:49 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Gorilla glue works quite well, you just have to use the appropriate amount because it expands and if you're not careful you will have a big blob work its way out.