Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Bolting two wing halves together for Hangar 9 150 size P51D ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Bolting two wing halves together for Hangar 9 150 size P51D ARF

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 08:39 AM
Model Sounds Inc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bolting two wing halves together for Hangar 9 150 size P51D ARF

Hi all. I want to build Hangar 9's 150 size P51D Mustang ARF kit. It has an 80inch wingspan. The manual says to epoxy the two wing halves together. I would like to modiy the wing halves so that they can be transported easily in two pieces and easily bolted together at the flying field, then disassembled again.

Has anyone done this, or something similar, on a similar sized plane?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:42 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Bolting two wing halves together for Hangar 9 150 size P51D ARF

"ARF kit"?

The normal solution would be to use wing tubes or aluminum spar "sisters" to reinforce the central panels when making them seperatable halves. This will require uncovering at least two panels out to either side of the seam and reinforcing the area and fitting a tube sleeve on each halfto accomidate the tube(s)

Easiest way is to stack the inner ribs and use a piece of the tube you will be forming the sleeve from and sharpen the INSIDEof the tube with a chainsaw file or Dremel stone. Then put the ribs on a soft wood block and press the tube down to make a tight fitting hole. If it is an ARFthen, if you're careful, you can use the tube as a drill to go into the wing panel. The latter needs you to be MUCHmore careful in keeping the angle square and when applying force and also that you file teeth into the cutting rim of the tube.

Plug the end of the outer wing tube (keep one of the balsa "cookies" formed above and epoxy it over the end) and slather it with epoxy and slide it into place flush to the center-seam. Better to pull the underside covering and add webs between the ribs to either side of the tube for strength, or add filler blocks to thesheeting, or both. You're adding weight but it's at the COG.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:56 AM
Model Sounds Inc

Yes, this is an ARF kit, but I'd have plenty of time to do this -I'm in no hurry and can take my time. I was somewhat dubious about buying the kit but I'm feeling more confident now - I might just go ahead and buy it! I also have some friends in my model boat club who are master craftsmen who could probably help me. I belong to a model airplaneclub anda model boat club and I'm also president of the Ottawa Electronics Club.

Thanks for your help - it's much appreciated.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:13 PM
Merlin Man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

I would ask your question on the Warbirds forum as well as here .

M.M.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:48 PM
Model Sounds Inc

Thanks for the suggestion. I've just done that.