Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Decisions..... Input please

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Decisions..... Input please

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 08:27 AM
gagallagher04401
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decisions..... Input please

Hey everyone..

Well I have a question.

I fly gasoline, ex.(40cc giant big stik) and electric planes ex.(Taylor craft 480) I said I would never go back to nitro, but I am thinking about a smaller nitro to toss around. I have a Dx7 radio.

I would need everything, starter, ignitor, etc... I have a 300.00 max budget limit Looking for fun, strong, and reliable. I am thinking a war type plane, due to the fact I have had alot of planes and the only war type one was a Parkzone T-28 Trojan. I would like the plane to be ARF.

I am looking at the Great Planes Escapade also

So being out of the nitro scene what would be a smart, popular choice? (I know, their will be many)

Thanks
George
Old 07-31-2012, 10:53 AM
dignlivn

Default RE: Decisions..... Input please

The small Revolver is a lot of fun.

Bob
Old 07-31-2012, 12:10 PM
gagallagher04401

Thought about that plane also.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:26 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How about a $160GP.40 size Big Stik? Or the $120 (on sale) Tower Razor 3D?

But the trouble is no matter how Iadd up ARF, engine, prop(s), four or five servos, two servo extensions, fuelpump,(and even assume hand start with chicken-stick) Ihit$300 prettyquickly. Hopefully you already have a receiver to use or you won't make it. The Super Tigre GS-45 and O.S. .46LA enginesare $85 to $90.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:02 PM
gagallagher04401

GALLAGHER! LOL Cool pic.

I have a GP giant BIG stik with a 40cc on it. which I love, and I thouhgt about the little brother, but thinking I should have something different.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:06 PM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, it is an "ex-warplane" but for only $110 you get a 40 size P-51 Strega: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGGM2&P=7
It is good quality and builds fast (except for the fairings which take some care) and can be flown with a .46, .90 or 1.10 racing classes. Do a RCU search on the plane or RC Groups search for more info and some pictures, etc.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:06 PM
Charlie P.

ORIGINAL: gagallagher04401

GALLAGHER! LOL Cool pic.
Iactually got to meet him and he is the best. He pulled up in a mini-van to go watermelon (and other produce and such) shoping at a local grocey store before a performance. One of those double-take things. Nah . . . is it? Without his bowler or driving capyou'd hardly look twice. (He's kindasmall as well).Prior to the performance he came out and talked to the audience (that's where he posed and signed autographs). He worked darned hard at making sure everyone had a good time - did all the stage set-up and everything but the lights and sound himself. Truly impressive. There were a couple obnoxious hecklers (plastered) and the first few times he ad-libbed great put downs. Third time he stopped the show and had security remove them. "Folks paid good money to be entertained by me, and you're not going to ruin it for them." or something along those lines.

The man's brilliant and has two acts: the Sledge-a-matic at the end, but before that he puts on a great show of all new (to me) things with a lot of audience participation. If you get a chance he's worth seeing.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:17 PM
gagallagher04401

Very very cool!
Old 07-31-2012, 07:08 PM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

At your price point, it's pretty tough to get everything you need since you are starting at just about ground zero if you need the basic flight box equipment too. I suggest finding used stuff from someone in your club, or maybe craigslist. There is almost always a guy in a club that turns over his stuff regularly, buying new and used, trading, etc. I think you can make your budget with a little bit of luck and patience. Good luck and have fun.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:37 PM
Charlie P.

That's a great suggestion. Locally guys are going electric and glow models not easily converted are cheap or free. I've had two freebies from guys who were transitioning away from glow.

I just joined another club with a smaller field and between that and float flying I figure there will always be .40 to .50 size glow planes in my hanger along with the gas models I fly at my "primary" large scale club. Electric just holds little attraction to me. I like the cantankerous, noisy stink pot engines!

Old 08-01-2012, 02:52 AM
gagallagher04401

Well first off no clubs around. I live in north easter Maine. No deer or moose fly RC LOL just me, my dad, couple other guys, defintly not a club, no picking and choosing around here. As far as the field box stuff I would try to go used.

I use a Dx7, and I have a spare Rx waiting to go in what ever plane I choose.

Thanks everyone.