Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

50CC REVOLVER!!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

50CC REVOLVER!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 09:31 PM
Dieselman1220
My Feedback: (25)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 50CC REVOLVER!!

On my wish list as of now.....cant find much info yet anyone know any specs?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LNCLCJ&P=G
Old 09-18-2012, 03:29 AM
G.Barber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 50CC REVOLVER!!

It's a really cool plane! I saw one at Watts over Owatonna this summer. It was powered by the Rimfire 50cc outrunner and running on a 10 cell LiPo battery. Very nice airplane!
Old 09-18-2012, 05:10 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Specs taken from the new Tower Catalog that arrived yesterday.

Wingspan: 90"
Length: 82.5"
Wing Area: 1303"
Weight: 19.5-20.5lbs.
Wing Loading: 34-36 oz/ft

They also mention that the cowl is set up with a cowl ring - nice!
Old 09-18-2012, 08:04 AM
gade600sdi

Looks kind of boring, typical great planes/hobbico stuff lots white Monokote. I think the Reactor 50cc they already have is much nicer and better performer, this one is a yawner to me. They should use Ultracoate like everyone else and get some better colors on the planes, take a look at Hangar 9 planes for example, or 3D hobby shop planes.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:51 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: gade600sdi

Looks kind of boring, typical great planes/hobbico stuff lots white Monokote. I think the Reactor 50cc they already have is much nicer and better performer, this one is a yawner to me. They should use Ultracoate like everyone else and get some better colors on the planes, take a look at Hangar 9 planes for example, or 3D hobby shop planes.
This is why I hate posting on RCU, always someone ready to rain on your Parade, the Thread Author wasn't looking for opinions or criticism, just looking for more information on a plane that he is interested in getting, what you may find boring he finds interesting or great...I know, freedom or speach..yada yada...you are entitled to your opinion and so am I.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:21 AM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Plus 1 for dasintex.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:01 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This with a DLE 60cc twin would be a great flying plane. i would have to go with a DLE 111 twin though to fit my flying style.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:45 PM
JeffinTD

+1 on that. I have a Reactor, which is a great flying plane, and I'm guessing this one could be, too.

If someone gets one, please post a flight report.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:39 AM
Mr67Stang

Guess I wont bother replacing that Revolver 70 I dorked in.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:59 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: G.Barber

It's a really cool plane! I saw one at Watts over Owatonna this summer. It was powered by the Rimfire 50cc outrunner and running on a 10 cell LiPo battery. Very nice airplane!
Did you get to see it fly? If so, what did you think?
Old 09-19-2012, 03:50 AM
G.Barber

I saw it fly several times over the weekend - flew very nice! Plenty of control throw to perform aerobatics! General flight characteristics are great as well - it flew like a giant sport plane. It was not bothered by a 10-15 mph wind, the 50cc Rimfire motor had plenty of authority on take off, and she landed very easily.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:53 AM
gade600sdi

ORIGINAL: dasintex

This is why I hate posting on RCU, always someone ready to rain on your Parade, the Thread Author wasn't looking for opinions or criticism, just looking for more information on a plane that he is interested in getting, what you may find boring he finds interesting or great...I know, freedom or speach..yada yada...you are entitled to your opinion and so am I.
Hey dasintex, so let me get this right, you an others can post thier opinion on a plane if you like it, but if I don't care for it I am raining on your parade and should not post here? Not looking for opinions, wake up dude, this whole formum is about opinions. In my opinion this is a medium quality, medium performance sport model that looks plain and ugly like most Hobbico stuff. There I said it so I will go away now. Sorry if you dont like my opinion and if you like it, great I dont hold that against you.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:37 AM
ahicks

Not advocating for negative posts, but I for one, enjoy differing opinions as long as they're tastefully done? Pretty boring reading if nobody ever disagreed...
Old 09-19-2012, 02:43 PM
Luchnia

ORIGINAL: ahicks

Not advocating for negative posts, but I for one, enjoy differing opinions as long as they're tastefully done? Pretty boring reading if nobody ever disagreed...
I agree ahicks. We NEED different viewpoints as long as they are tactful and sensible and bring something to the table. Sometimes though reading some post that are so sour it sort of just ho-hum let me get to the next post.

There is one main point about the new Rev that is not setting well with me. I don't necessarily like the new 50cc Rev colors at all and I am surprised GP made it look so much like the small Rev. That was my biggest shocker about the picture, however sometimes these color schemes are misleading online.

You would think that since the small one was red and the big one blue they would choose something that stood out more - something with flash. My current 30cc and 50cc planes are much more flashy than the picture of the 50cc Rev and the color scheme is a slight detractor for me. I may still pick one up though, but probably will have to see one up close first.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:11 PM
G.Barber

It is ok for all of us to have different opinions, but let's keep the arguing out of the forum... Especially arguing about who's opinion of a plane/color scheme/covering brand is right!

I would like to keep this thread open, and the only way that is going to happen is if we can all talk about the airplane and not argue!

Now, Back to the new 50cc Revolver...
Old 09-19-2012, 07:27 PM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: Luchnia
There is one main point about the new Rev that is not setting well with me. I don't necessarily like the new 50cc Rev colors at all and I am surprised GP made it look so much like the small Rev. That was my biggest shocker about the picture, however sometimes these color schemes are misleading online.

You would think that since the small one was red and the big one blue they would choose something that stood out more - something with flash. My current 30cc and 50cc planes are much more flashy than the picture of the 50cc Rev and the color scheme is a slight detractor for me. I may still pick one up though, but probably will have to see one up close first.
+1 The covering would have to come off. I like the colors of the Rev 70 much more.

I've flown the Rev 70 and it was great! A hard landing ripped the gear out and the wheel pants punctured the wings. I have no doubt that this plane will be a superb flyer. Probably a great canadate for a 60cc and a speed prop
Old 09-19-2012, 08:02 PM
nitro wing

does ultracote really have that many more color choices? havent looked in quite some time.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:01 AM
Luchnia

ORIGINAL: nitro wing
does ultracote really have that many more color choices? havent looked in quite some time.
I thought MK had more color choices than UC. The last covering I bought UC was just better because of problems with recent purchases of MK. Of of our builders in our club that has built for close to 30 years now, got so fed up with MK, he tossed it all and vowed never to buy another roll! I was amazed as this man uses a serious amount of covering.

The thing is some have had fantastic success with it though. As far as the 50cc Rev, I for one would change the color scheme. This would be easy to do by adding some nice wide color bands in the right location. It just looks too much like the smaller Revolver.

This could have been a flashy plane and following the success of the Rev 70 that would fall right in line. I think I set my expectations a tad high I am curious as to how this will play out and if I am the only one that is thinking this way Ok, I know, I am an oddball of sorts.

I still want to see one, yet it would have to possess the Rev 70 "feel" in the air and due to the color scheme might not make my buy list.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:02 PM
JeffinTD

I kind of like the color scheme, personally, but I have a preference for more basic designs.

A person could add another band of red mid-wing, and another stripe lower on the fuse, though.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:03 PM
wyo69cowboy

I agree it could use a little more "flash"; IMO the 70 by far has the best scheme of the three...

It would be fairly easy though to cover up some of that white monokote with some better graphics. Are these planes pretty "draggy" for speed? I know I've seen videos of 160mph little Revolvers on 12S electric; never heard much about speed in the 70 size. The 50cc size could be interesting with a piped 50-60cc motor[8D]
Old 09-20-2012, 03:11 PM
Luchnia

microdon, you bought one yet?
Old 09-24-2012, 10:44 AM
gade600sdi

I wasnt referring to the amount of choices, the quality of the covering material is what I was saying. And also, I think Hobbico must have bought ten containers of white monokote because that is the only color they ever use on most all planes.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:14 PM
wjcalhoun

I am thinking the ZDZ90 might be about right for this plane- would come in at about 22#
Too bad the mintor 75 twin is not in stock right now.

For me a plane at 'book' 20.5# is a bit heavy for a 55cc; the DLE60 twin is nice, but has the performance of a 55RA. I think the R90 will need a bit more displacement than 55cc.

Agreed that the color is not as striking as the R70, but the white space leaves room for some custom vinyl to dress it up.

I would like to know more about the airfoil - semisymmetrical, or fully symmetrical. Would be nice to have the build manual on line for servo placement (pull pull vs aft mount rudder, etc).

Old 09-25-2012, 03:16 AM
Luchnia

ORIGINAL: wjcalhoun

I am thinking the ZDZ90 might be about right for this plane- would come in at about 22#

For me a plane at 'book' 20.5# is a bit heavy for a 55cc; the DLE60 twin is nice, but has the performance of a 55RA. I think the R90 will need a bit more displacement than 55cc.

Agreed that the color is not as striking as the R70, but the white space leaves room for some custom vinyl to dress it up.

I would like to know more about the airfoil - semisymmetrical, or fully symmetrical. Would be nice to have the build manual on line for servo placement (pull pull vs aft mount rudder, etc).

All good info and hopefully we will have some answers soon? Most of us seem to agree on the main points. Engine size, covering, wing design, etc.

If the plane weighs in on the heavy side it would not be as fun a flyer with a 55cc at least the way I like to power my planes. I don't go way overboard but I do go somewhat overboard. I like to keep a decent amount of reserve power.

For instance, for a 46 size I run a 55AX. Simply perfect flyers in my book! And both of my 30cc planes are on the light side and I have plenty of juice for those with the DLE 30cc engines. I had a 40cc on a SIG 300XS Extra and honestly I would have not been afraid at all to go to a DLE 55cc on that plane as it was built heavy and would have been a perfect combo. If the engine weight is not that much more the extra power availability is an advantage.

Microdon, pulled that switch on the R90 yet? I know that would round out your Rev fleet
Old 09-25-2012, 04:48 AM
ahicks

ORIGINAL: wjcalhoun

Regarding rudder servo placement, pull-pull vs. rear mount, that's purely a matter of what it's going to take to help balance the plane with your engine choice, no? Put it where you need it to minimize the need for any ballast? Agree the manual might be nice for other detail though. Given the budget, agree something in a twin that's a step up from the DLE would be nice as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.