Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

GP Christen Eagle II

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

GP Christen Eagle II

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 06:40 PM
rfw1953
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GP Christen Eagle II

I honestly have to say that I like the covering on the Pitts much better. Of course all I can see are the pictures. One thing I didn't like reading about was that the fuse is shorter than the Pitts. I found that my Pitts was a bit squirrely on take off until I got the perfect touch with the rudder. Probably just me, but have to wonder if this will be even more pronounced with the shorter fuse??

As for assembly time, gee, I found it took much longer than 10 minutes to set my pitts up at the field. I didn't like this so I broke down and bought a trailer.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm35037.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	63081  
Old 09-22-2003, 06:58 PM
runover1
My Feedback: (10)

The one thing that scares me is the tail wheel linkage directly connected to the servo arm. Won't this introduce a lot of unwanted shock to the servo?
Old 09-23-2003, 06:23 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the fuselage length difference, there is none to speak of. The Pitts fuselage actually measures 62.5" long, not the 70" advertised in their web site. The Eagle is listed at 62.5". There may be a small difference, but it shouldn't be much.
Old 09-23-2003, 08:03 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To RFW and Runover:

I've been using this type of tailwheel linkage set up for years, without the fuel line shock absorber. It works great! Very positive groung handeling and I have yet to note any servo problems used on the rudder/tail wheel set up.

To counteract the "squirrel" tendencies of the Pitts, try holding full up elevator as you advance the throttle. Use the rudder with the tailwheel oround for steering. As the plane comes up to speed, let off the elevator to allow the tail to rise. The rudder isn't effective until a relatively fast ground run has been acheived. It can still be a handful, especially on landing or crosswind. You really have to stay ahead of a full scale Pitts. This model isn't any different. That's why I suggested to one post about waiting awhile before getting into one of these.

Sure is fun to fly, though.

Silversurfer
Old 09-25-2003, 01:57 AM
elderair
My Feedback: (29)

I had my Pilot 1/3.5 scale Pitts side by side with the GP Pitts and inside and out it IS the same plane with a few changes for the better! The Eagle will be the same as the Pilot Eagle. What a way to revive an old favorite. The Pilot flies great so I know the GP will also. My Pilot Pitts has had a Saito 270 and a G-62 for power and it handles the G-62 fine and balances without problem.
Old 09-25-2003, 06:02 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: 14th_Reaper

Wouldn't it be amazing though, if when they released this project, everything was perfect? Everything was exactly where it was supposed to be? No shipping damage? No recalls, no mismatched paint on the cowl and wheelpants? All hardware was perfect, no need to run to the hobby shop for missing parts or replacements for cheaply made junk?

I know what you mean by the second run Silver. But, just for once, wouldn't it be nice if they didn't release what amounts to a beta test release but a truly ready to perform masterpiece? I don't mean to pick on GP because almost all companies in all endeavors release items that shouldn't be yet.
The AA meeting is down the hall, first left, third door on your left.
Old 09-25-2003, 11:23 AM
deputydog

Tail wheel direct linkage to the rudder servo is my preferred method also. Much more positive control on steering just make sure you use lots of expo to soften it. At the low speeds you use the tail wheel, the rudder is ineffective and has no force on it and vice versa.
Old 09-25-2003, 01:50 PM
RickVB
My Feedback: (24)

One showed up at my LHS this week, so they're out there... no, I didn't buy it, so I can't report any details.
Old 09-26-2003, 07:23 AM
Chads
My Feedback: (13)

My LHS has one too. It had a sold sticker on it but I got a chance to check it out. Same great quality as the pitts. I'm probably getting a little picky but they did'nt continue the blue in the feather pattern on the horizontal stab. My LHS said Great Planes will not ship any more to them until December...

Chads
Old 09-28-2003, 10:13 PM
WorldModelNut

Went down to LHS and saw the Eagle II. I have always wanted one and did not even know they were coming out. Very cool. I bought it on the spot. LHS price was $379.00. Quality and build looks very good. I am planning to put my 2.2 Webra Bully glow or maybe my OPS 60cc glow twin, have not decided yet. I have a local guy here who has the Pitts with a 3W-75. A little over kill but that's what everyone is doing. I fly here with Mike McMurtry who owns LHS and his son is Sean (World Team). So TOC stuff is big here and having big power is the norm. I'm sure the Bully would haul the crap out of it.

Comments?

Don
Old 09-28-2003, 11:03 PM
h82crash

Will it 3D?
Old 09-29-2003, 08:12 AM
LuvBipes
My Feedback: (4)

I also picked one up last weekend. Quality looks real good and the covering job is excellent. No, I don't think this bird will 3D because the control surfaces are too small, but so what? I'm sure it will still put on a hell of a show in the right hands.
Old 12-31-2003, 03:34 PM
sstegh

I have a left over First Place 2.4 engine I was thinking about putting in the Eagle... For those of you that already have one, is there any room in the fuse for a smoke tank?
Old 01-13-2004, 07:44 AM
NITRO_VEEDRIVER
My Feedback: (4)

I have recently purchased a christen eagle 2. built of course... built 2 other planes tho...no where near the size of this.... 1/3 scale ... anyways. i need an actual plan of this model.... anyone have this? i hope so. doin some repairs due to a crash it took.... minor but necessary. also i am looking to purchase a used engine to fit this thing....looks like she had a 91 cc in it, but not sure. the cylinders both came out from the cowl maybe an 1/2 inch.... bolt pattern is weird. if anyone can help me with this please message me or email me for a pic of it...
thank you
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39245.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	90139   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up49138.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	90140   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp32893.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	90141   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq43393.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	90142  
Old 01-13-2004, 09:43 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

From the shape of the Cabanes, this isn't the Great Planes Christen Eagle. Maybe a Pilot kit?

In any event, Great Planes or any other ARF maker doesn't have plans available for any of their models.

91 cc engine? Never heard of that either.

Exactly how big is your plane? Wingspan? Length? They may give us something to go on.
Old 01-13-2004, 01:37 PM
RCJones

Looks to me like you have the old EZ Kit. I have one here that I am taking the motor out of to put in the GP ARF.

The EZ Kit was an arf with no plans. Mine has a Saito 270. Its also difficult to repair this kind of foam covering. Good luck with the repairs

Its a heavy plane that needs to be flown all the time and can take a big motor
Old 01-13-2004, 01:46 PM
Chads
My Feedback: (13)

If it has a wingspan of approx. 84" it is probably the kit previously sold by Eagle Aviation and now by Rick Boyer in PA. The kit that Rick Boyer sells is essentually a copy of the Pilot models version but only larger...

Chads