Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

**Seagull Nemesis** The need for speed build thread!!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

**Seagull Nemesis** The need for speed build thread!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 05:21 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: **Seagull Nemesis** The need for speed build thread!!

Canopy and hatch
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...-180-SEA602508

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...-180-SEA602507
Old 07-01-2013, 05:49 AM
hrrcflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Jimbo,

Congratulations on your maiden flight. IT'S ABOUT TIME ! ! ! ! !............................LOL I'm glad you like the way it turned out. Sounds like you have a winner for sure. Can't wait to see the video, but I think it should wait until after you put the racing prop on it. Do you have any friends who are police officers or anybody else that may have a radar gun. I'd love to see what speeds you'll be getting with your racing setup.

Take care,
David
Old 07-02-2013, 07:25 AM
Mustangman40
My Feedback: (1)

burny,
way to go on the maiden, glad you like the plane as much as me.. Get the new parts and she will be good as new....

I'm just finishing up the baffles to help keep the air going over the fins, that with the higher octane will cool her down... The 22x12 I am spinning is on the low side of what DLE wants you to run on the motor, onceshe has sucked2gl I will do the same as you and prop down with a high pitch and change to Redline oil at 50.1... I also plan on putting her on a little diet when I set it up for speed.. CF wing tube and landing gear and smaller light wheels.. The wheels I am running right now are heavy, I should shave 8oz alone on the wheels, but right now I need the prop clearance and that's the only 4.5" ones I had... Mine didn't need much trim eitheron the maiden, one click of right ail. and she was hands off....

Old 07-02-2013, 07:31 AM
Mustangman40

ORIGINAL: hrrcflyer

Hey Jimbo,

Congratulations on your maiden flight. IT'S ABOUT TIME ! ! ! ! !............................LOL I'm glad you like the way it turned out. Sounds like you have a winner for sure. Can't wait to see the video, but I think it should wait until after you put the racing prop on it. Do you have any friends who are police officers or anybody else that may have a radar gun. I'd love to see what speeds you'll be getting with your racing setup.

Take care,
David

Hey buddy,
thanks a bunch and your right, it was about time.. Work and the weather just wouldn't line up, but that's changed....

Remember I had talked about doing some painting on mine, well that will be happening today...
I put the baffles in the cowl and need to paint them, so why not give her a real racing look.. I will post some pics in a bit, but I am thinking the cheeks need some checkers....Gonna play with some tape and see what I come up with, feel free on giving me input on what you think...
Old 07-02-2013, 01:14 PM
Mustangman40

Well I got the baffles done and the white is down for the checkerboard, planning on doing a wave type pattern with bigger checks up front and tapering down to the back... The baffles should do a good job on helping to keep her cool, the air will be going right across the fins now... I will post the finished pic when it is finished, hope the paint is hard enough to do them tomorrow....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67024.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	1897079   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24512.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	1897080   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48653.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	1897081   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga76588.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	1897082  
Old 07-02-2013, 03:31 PM
hrrcflyer

Hey Jimbo,

I like the white cheek cowls. Makes the plane look like an old time racer, but if you're dead set on doing a checkerboard, I have a WILD idea for you. Why don't you paint the squares the same dark red/pink as the fuselage? BTW, you can paint the wheel pants the same way................[X(]...

Take care Buddy,
David
Old 07-03-2013, 05:21 AM
Mustangman40

Hey Jimbo,

I like the white cheek cowls. Makes the plane look like an old time racer, but if you're dead set on doing a checkerboard, I have a WILD idea for you. Why don't you paint the squares the same dark red/pink as the fuselage? BTW, you can paint the wheel pants the same way................[X(]...

Take care Buddy,
David
David,
I had thought about that and was just going to put white checkers down and leave the red, but didn't see a good way to seperate the red/pink where that was staying on the top and bottom.. I am going to play with some tape today and see what I can come up with, if nothing else, I like them a lot just the way they are in white.. It sure would be a good spot for decals as well..

Here are a few pics of our fly-in a couple weeks back.. The big 260 is a 60% 18'ws monster and does Al sure know how to fly it and the sound from the 342cc up front was awesome!!

Name:	Jh17088.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	1897225   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt60016.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	1897226   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62382.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	1897227   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81242.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	1897228   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88458.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	1897229   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48602.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	1897230   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36078.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	1897231   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95323.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	1897232  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32305.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	1897233  
Old 07-03-2013, 10:43 AM
hrrcflyer

HOLY COW, 60%.................[X(] I bet that big 3W did sound incredible. I wonder what size prop Al was swinging on that monster.................

Take care,
David
Old 07-03-2013, 11:38 AM
Mustangman40

HOLY COW, 60%.................[X(] I bet that big 3W did sound incredible. I wonder what size prop Al was swinging on that monster.................

Take care,
David
38x?? Biggggg The spinner hit you in the belly button and I'm 6' 1".......... He flies that sucker like it owes him money, which I'm sure it does...lol There was a couple times I thought he was eating it, made me squat down like a girl thinking itwas it!!awesome pilotandawesome plane forsure!
Old 07-03-2013, 03:22 PM
hrrcflyer

ORIGINAL: Mustangman40

Take care,
David
.......................He flies that sucker like it owes him money, which I'm sure it does...lol
Hey Jimbo,

I just had to clean the Pepsi off my keyboard with that comment.......................LMAO ! ! ! ! !

Just to give you an idea, That big 3W would cost you or me +/- $4,500.00.[X(] Besides, I could only imagine that the quantity of high torque digital servo's is somewhere around 16. Unless he used some of those big Seiko servo's on the rudder. You know something though, as nice as that big Extra 260 is, I'd prefer to fly that big Carden Extra. To me, it's hard to beat the clean lines of a Carden and they are one of the best big Extra's out there. My best friend and flying Buddy built a 35% Carden Extra 330 about seven years ago and it is the truest (if that's a word?) flying airplane I've ever seen.

Looking forward to your next Nemesis painting update.

Take care Buddy,
David
Old 07-03-2013, 04:35 PM
Mustangman40

ORIGINAL: Mustangman40

Take care,
David
.......................He flies that sucker like it owes him money, which I'm sure it does...lol
Hey Jimbo,

I just had to clean the Pepsi off my keyboard with that comment.......................LMAO ! ! ! ! !

Just to give you an idea, That big 3W would cost you or me +/- $4,500.00.[X(] Besides, I could only imagine that the quantity of high torque digital servo's is somewhere around 16. Unless he used some of those big Seiko servo's on the rudder. You know something though, as nice as that big Extra 260 is, I'd prefer to fly that big Carden Extra. To me, it's hard to beat the clean lines of a Carden and they are one of the best big Extra's out there. My best friend and flying Buddy built a 35% Carden Extra 330 about seven years ago and it is the truest (if that's a word?) flying airplane I've ever seen.

Looking forward to your next Nemesis painting update.

Take care Buddy,
David
Yeah I here ya on the Carden, building one this fall for a guy.. Looking forward to it, he knows what he wants and none of it is garbage, all top shelf goodies...

You right about the servos, it has 17 total!!!!!!

The Nemesis is going flying in the morning the way the cowl is, going to make sure that I got the baffles right before checkering and the paint ain't hard enough yet...

Have a great 4th Buddy...........

Jimbo
Old 07-03-2013, 10:29 PM
hrrcflyer

Yeah,

A Carden Extra has been, and will always be a dream plane for me and it appears that the dream will never come true. Especially since the last time I was on the Carden website, the smallest Extra kit I saw was at least a 35% if not 40%. I added a picture of my Buddy and his Carden for some building inspiration............

I hope you enjoy your day tomorrow flying your Nemesis. The club I fly with is having a picnic at the flying field tomorrow, but I'm not sure I'm going to go.

Happy 4th to you and yours, my friend
David

Name:	Hf98935.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	254.7 KB
ID:	1897438  
Old 07-05-2013, 05:22 AM
Mustangman40

Good news, bad news...........

Tested the changes yesterday on the Nemesis and did she fly like a dream.. The motor ran much cooler with the baffles..

We had a good crowd of pilots at the field with the holiday and awesome weather, with both our East West and North South sun shades full of people..
Takeoff was the same as the others, nice and scale with a little right rudder to keep her tracking.. This was the first flight since I overheated, so I was just taking it easy the first few passes.. The sound of this motor with just the two 3" headers is just awesome.. Time to see if the motor is happy with the better cooling.My spotters gave me the green light that the field was clear to make some runs.. I opened her up to full throttle and WOW, she came to life and was honking.. I ripped past the North South sunshades at about 8' off the deck and this made the natives a little restless, she was really honking like I just put a bigger motor in.... Time to wake up the crew on the East West, Came ripping by the same for them and I guess it was really loud under the sun shades, my spotter starts laughing cuzz it got them all up out of their chairs and on their feet to watch... Just had a ball, the plane tracks so well that it's like you been flying this plane for years. The faster it goes the better she flies, it handles the speed like a race plane should. My Motor guy was on the line with me and we both agreed that the cooling issue was a non issue now! I was having so much fun with this plane that before I knew it it was time to land, so I slowly came off power and just flew around a bitdoing rolls and what not... I set up for a landing and went through my steps, the one thing that has me worried is the wind, it's at zero.. Here are some pics, the bad news will be up in a bit.. Sorry to keep you hanging like that, but I have to take care of a few things.... Some pics of Al ripping his 43% yak, sucker sounds great and really makes the power with the big ZDZ up front.. Had to show Jerry's big cub he built, this plane looks awesome on the ground and in the air..

Jimbo

Name:	Mk26500.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	1897690   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31871.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	1897691   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34106.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	1897692   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30269.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	1897693   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99928.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	1897694   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34314.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	1897695   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26801.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	1897696   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49749.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	1897697  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65959.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	1897698   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34501.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	1897699   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89395.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	1897700  
Old 07-05-2013, 03:32 PM
hrrcflyer

Wait, don't tell us. Your yellow and black Bulldog lost it's bite....................................LOL

Take care,
David
Old 07-12-2013, 06:37 PM
hrrcflyer

Hey Jimbo,

What happened to ya? Your work hasn't been eating into your fun time again has it?............

Take care,
David
Old 07-25-2013, 04:37 PM
hrrcflyer

BUMP

Hey Jimbo,

Is everything OK on your end? I know the weather has turned nice, but some of us are suffering through Nemesis withdrawals..................................LOL

Take care Buddy,
David
Old 07-26-2013, 06:55 AM
Mustangman40

Hey Jimbo,

What happened to ya? Your work hasn't been eating into your fun time again has it?............

Take care,
David
No no no....... Got lots of updates! The bad news long story short. I busted one side of the landing gear trying to do something stupid to keep prop clearance on a landing.. She is fixed, better than new and flying great....

I took her with to IA for a weekend flyin and had a scare that still has me scratching my head.. Was ripping her real good on saturday eve with several flights that day, it was kind of a tight field but doable.. Over the runway a couple feet off the ground I was justready to startmy flare and she just smacked down hard.. Not sure why, it didn't stall as speed was still pretty hot.. She hit the matt hard and bounced 6 feet back up and was now ready to stall but ws still running.. I fed in some power and went back around doing a slow fly by over my head to check on the gear, all was good and I went back around and brought her in.. When I shut it down I was in shock. My 22x12 was now a 20x12!!!!!!!!! The staples on the seam of the matt took an inch off both sides of the prop, unreal!!!!!!!

Fast forward:
the motor is broken in and it was time to ditch the big props, good thing as I broke two of them! lol

I put on the APC T-6 racing prop, it works out to a 20x15 and is wicked looking.. I checked the CG again and she was nose heavy, thus the problems on landing, moved my batts around and got that taken care of.. The first flight with the speed prop was awesome, with 93 octane and a 50-1 with Redline oil I jumped from 6400 to 7600 on the ground and she is spooling up in the air just awesome... Temps were in the 170's and landings now are a piece of cake...
Now for a hot mix!!!lol My buddy has a mix he uses in his 60% Extra 260 on his 3W 342cc, 110 octane at 50-1, it runs him 42 degrees cooler than the 93 and more power...
Well let me tell ya what, we put a tank in and my numbers jumped to just under 8K! Flying was OMG, just a blast! Ripping across the field we were getting a echo off the trees that scared the crap out of me the first time i heard it, this thing is really coming to life and is FAST!! It goes where you point it, tracks like a dream and is just a joy to fly.. I did some pylon laps using thefield as my poles, NO rudder needed on turns to hold altitude, I mean none... Checked the temps and they were in the 150's, 20 degrees cooler on the 110.........
So I still have another 1000/1500R's waiting when my Menz props get here and I will shed at least a pound with the CF gear, wheels and wing tube before she is all done.. Shut the front door!

I'm really happy that I didn't set this plane up for Max speed right out of the gate, building up to it is the way to go.. It gives you a chance to get all the bugs out and time to get use to the plane.. The motor is running like a champ and the sound is just amazing on just headers, a real head turner... I'm taking her with to a Huck fest in Rolla MO in Sep., working with a couple buddies who will be hovering a pair of 40%er's while I rip across in between them doing 150mph Knife edge...... lol I know, vid is needed! Speaking of, my buddy got some yesterday with his phone and is sending them to me, i will post them up when I get them....

Jimbo
Old 01-06-2021, 12:41 AM
Tom ling

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi guys, thought I’d restart this thread. I’m thinking of buying the Nemesis, pros are top hatch for easy access, seems well built and a large cowl for a nice size engine.

How did your models take the test of time? Any issues you’ve found. I would maybe fit a GP76 twin (same size as the DLE60) or maybe a saito fg61ts.

kind regards Tom.

Last edited by Tom ling; 01-06-2021 at 12:43 AM.
Old 03-14-2021, 05:27 AM
Tom ling

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ended up getting the Saito 61ts it should turn a 22x10 at 6200-300 so it will have a nice turn of speed and will sounds lovely. Looking forward
to a maiden flight once our lockdown has finished.
The following users liked this post:
capt1597 (03-14-2021)
Old 10-05-2022, 02:18 PM
Didier

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Hi guys,

I am planning to assemble the new Nemesis with a Kingtech K30TP (turboprop).
I have read somewhere that the CG is more aft then the 135mm what is mentioned in the manual.
Can somebody confirm this?
Thanks!