Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

GP Big Stick 60

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

GP Big Stick 60

Old 07-06-2013, 01:43 AM
hrrcflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Big Stick 60

Hello Guys,

I'm getting ready to get a second hand Big Stick 60 and I'm beginning to start thinking about my power options. The only two choices I have is between my YS-91 4 stroke and my Rimfire 80 running on a 5S 5000mAh pack. The reason that these are the only options is that I already have them. Obviously either choice is more than capable of flying the plane but I'd like to hear from you guys on what you think. I'd prefer it if this thread didn't turn into the usual electric vs glow battle. I am already very familiar with the advantages and disadvantages of either option. The only thing that has me starting to lean more towards the YS is the fact that the plane is already set up for the glow motor. Even so, the necessary modifications to convert the plane to electric are very easy and wouldn't take long to make.

So, what do you think fellas?.....................

Take care,
David
Old 07-06-2013, 04:08 AM
dignlivn

Default RE: GP Big Stick 60

IMO

Go with the 4 stroke, you wont regret it.

Bob
Old 07-06-2013, 04:26 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You know glow, and you know elec. Time to learn about gas! DLE 20.....

If that's of no interest, I'd go elec. Interest in glow gone a long time ago.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:10 PM
carrellh

My plane came out nose heavy with OS 91FS, and tail dragger conversion. I'd go with the power system that balances best.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:18 AM
hrrcflyer

Ahicks,
I know gas too and a DLE is not, and never will be an option to me. If I had funds available, I'd like to try the new Evolution 15 gas on it.

Carrelh,
Do you by chance have any pictures of your tail dragger conversion? I would greatly appreciate it if you could post them....... When my friend and previous owner set up the plane, he set it up to run a heavy 4 stroke because he was mostly going to use the plane to break in different motors and he moved the rudder servo to the tail.

Take care,
David
Old 07-07-2013, 07:26 AM
countilaw

I would go with the     YS,      that's just my opinion.       It sure would sound good in the air.   

Frank
Old 07-07-2013, 01:22 PM
hrrcflyer

Yeah Frank,

That's what I think I'm going to do. A fellow club member has the same plane with a Saito 100 on it , but the lack of ground clearance with the trike gear setup has me more than a little concerned. With the stock setup, the longest prop my friend can use is a 13" which is short for the Saito, not to mention my YS. I do want to convert mine to a tail dragger and I'll have to find a little larger set of tires for the main gear.

Edit: I talked to my friend with the airplane and he told me that the plane was already set up as a tail dragger and the rudder & elevator servos are already in the tail. So all of my work is already done...................YIPPEEEE ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Take care,
David
Old 10-09-2013, 10:55 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Guys,
I built and flew the Big Stick .60~.90 ARF and powered mine with a RCG 20cc gas engine. It came in at just a tad over 9# and it was a pure blast to fly. It has a glide that is so predictable its amazing and a vertical that never quits. I made a few mods to mine, and used the landing gear to the largest Big Stick ARF ($15.00 at tower) for prop clearance. Mine was a tail dragger too and fun model to fly.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui