Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

RC Guys 33% Pitts S1 ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

RC Guys 33% Pitts S1 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 05:09 AM
apipertoo
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Capt, I bought mine from Dan at last year's Toledo Show. I am also using a DLE-55RA..

I used the stock standoffs that came with the motor and added about 3/16 of Plywood at the firewall.

Make sure that you double the original firewall by adding a doubler on the inside.

I split my elevator using two servos mounter at the rear. My Rudder is a pull - pull system with the servo mounted a normal.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:10 PM
CaptRKO
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=apipertoo;12313756]Hey Capt, I bought mine from Dan at last year's Toledo Show. I am also using a DLE-55RA..

I used the stock standoffs that came with the motor and added about 3/16 of Plywood at the firewall.

Make sure that you double the original firewall by adding a doubler on the inside.

Many thanks Piper!

Thanks for the heads up! I am planning the same as far as elevator servos in the rear and the rudder pull/pull in the normal spot. Did you add the 3/16 ply behind the firewall? The Stock standoffs look like the will work. Planning on adding triangle stock and some more plywood on the Firewall. How did you plane fly with the DLE-55RA?
Old 03-09-2017, 08:41 AM
CaptRKO

Just started on the build....

I have 3 bags marked "Wing Struts" and they are all different lengths! The Cabane struts are a real pain in the ***** to install......the lock washers in the plywood formers are junk, several just fell out and are all cross threaded! Gotta love cheap quality ARF"s!

My canopy has a weird cloudy filmy on the "tint"......not really impressed and I am a "Pitts guy". I will have to substitute a lot of my own hardware which is not a problem but don't advertise the kit as "high quality" when it is not. Not sure it is worth the $540 I paid (minus shipping which was another $60)

Also the "ChinaKote" film was reported to be of higher quality now.....well it still has the white backing and I can see white in several seems! I can fix this. I guess I am spoiled by Hangar 9, PILOT, and Aeroworks.....while far from perfect at least there is some quality control and any lack of that customer service is on it ASAP!

No manual included (not a biggie) but if it is online how about an UPDATE? The manual online was made circa 2007-2008? Vague and a lot of info left out.

The real reviews on this kit are not good. I will give RC Guys a chance to make it "right" and will report back!
Old 03-09-2017, 07:33 PM
RonMcCormick
My Feedback: (4)

Funny
Old 03-09-2017, 09:32 PM
or170b

I guess quality is in the eye of the beholder. To me the quality is good. granted you have to do a lot of work to build a nice plane with this arf but where are you going to get a large scale pitts anywhere? No one makes them. If you were to have this built by Hanger 9 the price would be double what this kit costs. this is a great flying aircraft that I have many flights on.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:36 AM
CaptRKO

Originally Posted by or170b
I guess quality is in the eye of the beholder. To me the quality is good. granted you have to do a lot of work to build a nice plane with this arf but where are you going to get a large scale pitts anywhere? No one makes them. If you were to have this built by Hanger 9 the price would be double what this kit costs. this is a great flying aircraft that I have many flights on.

H9 provides some high quality stuff on especially the hardware. They sell the P-3 Biplane for $600ish so your point on costing "double" is not correct.

This model is about $350-$400 worth not what they are asking. I only pass this along to others who may be interested. The kit takes a lot of modification and replacement of hardware. Ive been in this hobby 30+ years, competed at TOPGUN (placed well) so I am not a newbie just spouting off! A search will show you I am not the only one! Many bad reviews.

I will modify and complete the airplane, it will look great and I can set it up to fly well. The "average" modeler will have some issues, and my point is the company could update the kit and instructions not just keep filling orders and taking the money.

Its an OLD arf so maybe in 2002 it was a "great arf" but not in 2017. Also I have yet to hear back from RC Guys! At least with Horizon/Hangar 9 my issues will be taken care of ASAP.

LOVE THE CHINAKOTE COVERING! ..........NOT!!!!!!
Old 04-10-2017, 08:58 AM
apipertoo

Hi Guys, I talked with Dan at the Toledo Show this past Saturday... He said that you do NOT need to put Flying wires on the tail section... all that really would be doing is adding the opportunity for additional Vibrations and or flutter
Old 04-10-2017, 06:53 PM
CaptRKO

Flown mine about 25 flights so far with no tail wires and no problems. The kit could have better hardware and maybe "updated" a bit but it is a nice Pitts kit so if you are on the fence "go for it"

Dan did send me some covering and was helpful in a few areas of concern. So I give them a passing grade.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:58 AM
apipertoo

Hi Capt, Thanks for the reply... I bought one last year at the Toledo Show... just finishing it up for this season... I put an electric start on it and I am putting a smoke system in, so I am at the poing of where and how to moung the batteries, smoke pump and the controller for the starter so the balane is correct... I kind of have been draging my feet ...

Thanks again !
Old 04-18-2017, 07:31 PM
CaptRKO

Some more recent thoughts about this airplane....

I really like the fact I can carry it in my truck assembled. After about 30-35 flights on her now I have her dialed in more or less....she is not very stable like a 35%-40% IMAC bird and has a lot of pitch coupling but once you learn how to fly this Pitts I find it is a great exercise and workout for when I go fly my IMAC bird.

Had a chance to fly with a Byron Pitts yesterday and they are very close in size.....the RC GUYS Pitts flies better then the Byron and is much faster (I am flying mine with a DLE-55RA) so if you like Pitts Specials and can work around the ARF kit shortcomings I say GO FOR IT!
Old 07-22-2017, 07:42 PM
Moneypitts

Anyone have pictures of how they mounted the servos in the rear of the plane under the elevators. I am going to start on mine in the next month or so (I have a Waco to repair I wrecked last week) and then I will start on this. I am on the fence with engines. I am looking at the Valach 60cc single or the Saito FG 61TS (twin), both heavy engines, but I am rather stuck on 4 Stroke Power. I will build in a smoke system and will use two batteries for the electronics, so I have plenty of weight to put aft. Just hoping this thread is not totally dead as this is only my second airplane I have built from an ARF. Thanks....
Old 07-25-2017, 07:05 AM
apipertoo

Money Pitts.... you really shouldn't need pictures ?? IF you put a bright Flashlight in the fuse down near the tail section, you can see cut-outs in the framework showing where to mount the servos....
Old 07-25-2017, 03:57 PM
Moneypitts

OK...Thanks. I am not home now, But when I initially looked at the fuse, it appeared there would need to be some kind of reinforcement built to make that area strong enough for the servos. The directions call for it to be mounted in the tray. Darn, just looked again at the manual and it actually does state if going with larger than a 35cc to mount the servos in the rear of the fuse, make the cutouts for the pushrod exits large enough to mount the servo. It also states to glue a piece of 1/8 inch plywood behind this area for reinforcement. I missed that paragraph the first time reading through. I think I can handle that. This is only my second ARF. The GP Waco really went together with virtually 0 problems and as per the manual. There is quite a bit of build info on this Pitts out there, and it seems there are some issues, but everyone said they would definitely build it again. I had to do some research regarding wing incidence, how to measure and so forth. My Waco flies great, in my opinion, but I have no experience with gas planes. Certainly is a lot to learn! I am going to definitely check the wing incidences on the Waco when I get home. I know how I can adjust them if needed.

Thanks,
Keith
Old 01-05-2018, 08:55 PM
CaptRKO

I will say to BEEF up the center section wing spar! Mine exploded in flight......I thought maybe somebody shot me ....the airframe EXPLODED in the top wing area causing the left TOP wing to separate and take the lower right wing with it! I fly IMAC style aerobatics, lots of snaps etc....no 3D flying with a DLE-55 RA. I was thinking about ordering another one....if I did I would probably just put a DLE-35 in it and fly it like a Sunday School teacher as it is not build very strong. :{

Once I could see inside the wings you can see the light and cheap balsa was used.....real bummer!

I had a lot of fun with my little red S-1S Biplane, reminded me on the old Byron 1.3 scale .....I wish RC Guys would upgrade the kit and bring it to the modern ARF standard like Hangar 9.

Sigh....
Old 01-06-2018, 06:17 AM
Moneypitts

Default Pitts

Well...that blows. I have totalled my Waco and am putting the pitts on the back burner till I learn to fly gas better. I am going to do that with the hangar 9 ultra stick. I am going to remember this thread. That is really something. From all the research I did on this plane I thought I had all its shortcomings and build issues. Thus one seems more serious. I would think any pitts wpuld be built to handle aggressive flying.....thanks for the info.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:39 AM
Jim Branaum

Originally Posted by CaptRKO
I will say to BEEF up the center section wing spar! Mine exploded in flight......I thought maybe somebody shot me ....the airframe EXPLODED in the top wing area causing the left TOP wing to separate and take the lower right wing with it! I fly IMAC style aerobatics, lots of snaps etc....no 3D flying with a DLE-55 RA. I was thinking about ordering another one....if I did I would probably just put a DLE-35 in it and fly it like a Sunday School teacher as it is not build very strong. :{

Once I could see inside the wings you can see the light and cheap balsa was used.....real bummer!

I had a lot of fun with my little red S-1S Biplane, reminded me on the old Byron 1.3 scale .....I wish RC Guys would upgrade the kit and bring it to the modern ARF standard like Hangar 9.

Sigh....
Want a barely started Byron Pitts? The fuse is primed and the engine mount is on the nose. Everything else is still boxed or bagged.

It may not be as fast, but my other one is over 15 years old and except for the Econocote peeling due to UV damage and a bit of melt from a gas leak, it is just fine.

Last edited by Jim Branaum; 01-06-2018 at 06:41 AM.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:52 PM
CaptRKO

Originally Posted by Jim Branaum
Want a barely started Byron Pitts? The fuse is primed and the engine mount is on the nose. Everything else is still boxed or bagged.

It may not be as fast, but my other one is over 15 years old and except for the Econocote peeling due to UV damage and a bit of melt from a gas leak, it is just fine.

Darn....good timing sir!

Sent you a PM.....like to see some pics!
Old 04-01-2019, 07:48 AM
CaptRKO

Anyone have a bottom wing (yellow and black) or just a damaged bottom wing repairable? I have my eye on a Kit missing the bottom wing....
Old 05-30-2019, 06:18 PM
CaptRKO

I found a NIB Yellow/Black Pitts today on another website.....its on its way! Probably go with the DLE-55RA again....thinking about adding the Byron Canopy to make it scale/sliding... I have a Byron Kit as well but its on the back burner for now. I have a New Fuse, Tail Feathers, Cowl, Spare Canopy (basically an entire second kit sans the wings--so if anyone has a spare set of wings I am interested in buying a set.

Sadly these are discontinued! I like the scale lines and the fact it can stay assembled to and from the flying field....and....who doesn't love a Pitts?
Old 07-06-2019, 12:40 PM
CaptRKO

Funny enough....the Yellow and Black version of this kit is much higher quality than the RED/WHITE one I had. The covering is perfect and the color is really eye "popping"
Have not settled on an engine yet....might try a Valley View 40cc twin to DLE twin or maybe a RGCF twin. Had a DLE-55RA in the last one....was over powered fo' sure!
Old 03-31-2020, 01:15 PM
CaptRKO

Default Last one from the factory

Here is the last RC Guys Pitts sold.....just finished it while COVID19 has us all under house arrest....

DLE-55RA.....flies great no ballast needed for cg....I have a Byron Pitts NIB I need to start on now....

Old 04-10-2020, 09:45 AM
northwest

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad I stumbled upon this thread, happy to see that in recent times someone is flying the RC guys Pitts . The Pitts S-1 is my favorite airplane. I have the red one in the box over two years and just getting started. My big thing with scale models is that it has to have a scale size prop! The engine would have to be oversized to swing the appropriate propeller. My Pitts will have a large 3 blade prop and shiny aluminum spinner to give me the look I love. Also I don't do single cylinder engines anymore, I need more access to the carb without removing the whole engine.
Here in Jamaica we are also under lockdown due to Covid, so great time to get started.
I understand fully that this Pitts kit was originally designed for glow power, and not been updated for gas. 35-40cc is simply not enough power to make this plane really fun, and the prop will look "small"!! It isn't safe to fly this plane as is with a much larger engine unless certain reinforcements are made.
So I have stripped the covering to re cover in monokote same scheme. There are many weaknesses in the airframe to be addressed. The first thing I actually did even before seeing this thread was to replace the upper wing joiner with a solid hardwood joiner. The firewall will be doubled and faced inside and out with carbon cloth, tri stock around engine box, 1/32 ply doubling inside the fuselage, mounting plate for fuel tank on cg etc. Servo donuts already made for rear elevator dual servos. Will be changing all hinges to robarts, and aileron servos in the top wing, no slave struts. Tail brace wires are a must! A built up balsa stab isn't going to hold up to my abuse. I am an IMAC pilot and I will be flying the Pitts very hard.
In Germany the Toni Clark 1/3 scale Pitts generally flies with a G62. I've even seen the Valach 85 twin. These are HEAVY engines but the 1/3 scale performs excellent with these options. This means that I can power up until I match the weight of a G62. My choice for now is the EME 70 twin. Fits easily in the cowl and allows me to run a mejlick 22x10 three blade prop painted red/white. This presents more scale in size.
The RC guys Pitts is basically a 50cc size airframe, so with the necessary strengthening it should work nicely with the 70cc without any issues and provide the looks and performance that I want.
I can only hope that my Pitts can be completed this year, work has stopped for now so I can't spend the money.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:52 AM
northwest

CaptRKO your yellow Pitts looks really good. See how the two blade prop for the 55 gives that realistic look! And the white blade adds the finishing touch. Really nice.
Old 04-28-2020, 04:01 PM
northwest

Took out the stripped fuselage to take a closer look and write a list of work to be done. There is much more work than I anticipated. Many times we see a fuselage shear off completely aft of the pilot bulkhead, well this Pitts has no hard wood at all in mid fuselage and belly section. Normally an aerobatic plane this size has spruce stringers, but only balsa stringers hold this frame together. Not only might it break midway from say a landing mishap, but I'm not feeling confident to throw hard multiple snaps (which is standard ops for a Pitts) without twisting off the tail completely. Apart from the usual strengthening of the engine box/firewall area etc, I am seriously looking at removing the stringers and replacing everything from turtledeck downward with spruce stringers. If the glue will unseat with a heat gun it shouldn't be too hard. Ofcourse this is like rebuilding the fuselage, but I don't feel happy that this plane is not up to the usual IMAC type airplane standard.
Also, 1/4" dowels holding the lower wing? Really??? May just use for alignment but bolts and hold down blocks is a must at this size.
​​​​Will be a bit heavier than the rest when done, I will accept up to 17lb.
What I got here is the classic Pitts S-1 shape. Surely I can make it into what I want, but for the amount of re work to be done I can definitely sayI would not buy another one of this kit.
Old 12-16-2020, 06:31 PM
John Franklin

Default Dle 65 Engine

Hello guys, I just purchased the 33% pitts challenger bulldog from Chief Aircraft. I live in New Mexico elevation 5000 ft above sea level. I want to put a dle 65 in mine. What do you guys think? Thanks