Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Gaint Stick

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes Gaint Stick

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 05:06 AM
michael wood
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Gaint Stick

This is the second one I've built and was wondering what everyone used for a control rod for the rudder. I want to move the servo in the servo tray in the fuselage. There is A control rod tube all ready installed there. I am trying to keep the weight down and I know from my last one 4-40 rods vibrates real bad. I will be using A MT35 gas engine. And if I remember right I had to add about 1 1/2 lbs of weight to the nose to balance it. I thought about A pull pull set up. I've read all the post I could find and did not see anything on A pull pull set up
Old 03-08-2014, 04:07 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by michael wood
This is the second one I've built and was wondering what everyone used for a control rod for the rudder. I want to move the servo in the servo tray in the fuselage. There is A control rod tube all ready installed there. I am trying to keep the weight down and I know from my last one 4-40 rods vibrates real bad. I will be using A MT35 gas engine. And if I remember right I had to add about 1 1/2 lbs of weight to the nose to balance it. I thought about A pull pull set up. I've read all the post I could find and did not see anything on A pull pull set up
Instead of going thru the trouble of installing a pull/pull system. I would think about just bracing the control rod tube, to keep it from vibrating. Just my personal thought and opinion.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:12 PM
flyinwalenda

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make a carbon fiber push rod. Super strong and no vibration. Get a CF tube the size to fit inside the casing and epoxy a piece of threaded rod in each end of the CF tube.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:40 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another option would be steel wire inside a nylon tube. Secure the tube well and keep the run as straight as possible. Very low friction that way and positive control. I know what you mean about vibrating push rods as I am having that problem with my J-3 Cub at the moment. Having that mass supported by the wire links is just asking for problems.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:42 PM
michael wood
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

carbon fiber rod sounds good to me. The tube is supported in certain places along the fuselage don't know how much 4-40 rod I will have sticking out the end. Well scratch that idea. The tube goes straight back and does not come out the fuselage if it does I cant see or feel it. I used a nyrod in the tube to see how long it is. Guess I will put the servo where it is suppose to go. I will use carbon fiber tubes for the push rods Thanks Michael
Old 03-09-2014, 03:59 AM
flyinwalenda

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure to clean/rough-up the inside of the CF tube with a round file so the glue will hold.