Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Phoenix Models Giles 202 and Sukhoi ON SALE!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Phoenix Models Giles 202 and Sukhoi ON SALE!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 07:50 PM
fpdesignco
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Phoenix Models Giles 202 and Sukhoi ON SALE!!!!

I was wondering i want to put a tower .75 in it beacuse I want it to be a 3d Plane. What kind of fuel tank is in it. Also if it is a small tank is the room for another and how do the lines go through.
Old 10-03-2003, 08:13 PM
coomarlin
My Feedback: (1)

Although I haven't got my Suk yet, I don't think this plane can be a 3D plane. The control surfaces don't appear to be exceptionally large like most 3D planes. Although maybe I should wait and see it in person before I cast judgement. I'm sure it will be a nice sport plane, but 3D? Who knows. I'm sure there is someone out there that has bought one and can tell us the real deal.

ORIGINAL: fpdesignco

I was wondering i want to put a tower .75 in it beacuse I want it to be a 3d Plane. What kind of fuel tank is in it. Also if it is a small tank is the room for another and how do the lines go through.
Old 10-03-2003, 09:14 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

ORIGINAL: fpdesignco

I haven't received my Giles and Sukhoi yet, but I do have a Tower .75. Judging from the specs listed, though, the .75 would be wayyy too big for these airframe. I have no doubt it will fly with the .75 - assuming you can balance it by possibly moving servos to the back - but I doubt you'll have any fun with it except when going straight up.

Magnum .52 and Irvine .53 2 stroke, or OS/Saito .70 4stroke will be ideal for these .40size aerobats.

If I don't end up spending all my disposable income tomorrow at the SWAC Arlington Show, I might put in another order for the Sukhoi again for jollies.
Old 10-03-2003, 09:21 PM
JakeCarter

a .75 won't fit on the Giles, not sure on the Sukhoi. I have the Giles (still on the work bench, waiting for an engine), I tried a .76 I have to see if it would come close, not only would it be way overweight it wouldn't fit in the cowl. The fuel tank is a square one, 8 oz I believe, the fuel lines go thru the firewall directly behind the engine.
Old 10-03-2003, 10:50 PM
FATBOY
My Feedback: (5)

My flying buddy reneged on making the trip to the SWAC Arlington Show, I don't fell like going by myself.

I think any engine weighing more than 17-18 ozs would be over-kill for such a lite air- frame. I just hope my Saito 72 (16.6 ozs) is a fit in the cowl w/o chopping it up.

Is anyone out there using the Saito 72? Need the feed back.

Huey
Old 10-04-2003, 03:03 AM
jcflysrc
My Feedback: (50)

I have both the Giles and the Sukhoi. I think my OS 70 will just fit under the cowl of the Sukhoi and at most I will have the valve cover sticking out. I still think this might be too much weight though. The Mag 52 or Irvine 53 as stated would be a GOOD match. I may try and balance the plane with the 70 first and see how that goes. I really want to put a 4 strk in this one. Thats what I have, so if it works cool, if not I'll put the Mag 52 on. Will try and do tommorrow evening and post pics of the results.
Old 10-05-2003, 12:21 AM
FlyerBry
My Feedback: (8)

Is the Sukhoi that much harder to fly than the Giles? I noticed the Giles is now on back order at Tower and would like to get the Giles since it is supposedly a little more forgiving.

I am currenlty getting annoyed with my trainer (first plane) that I have converted to a tail dragger. I have been doing loops and rolls pretty much at will. I have also been flying on some pretty windy days recently which makes it a real handful.

So what is the general concensus, would I be in over my head beyond hope or should I be able to grow into this plane - maybe with some help from an instructor?

Thanks!

FlyerBry
Old 10-05-2003, 11:11 PM
Iddons

Flyerbry,
I have used the Tiger 2 with OS46FX as my second.
the Su31 will be my third in a few months.
Big step from a trainer to the Su31 I think.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:20 AM
coomarlin

ORIGINAL: FlyerBry

Is the Sukhoi that much harder to fly than the Giles? I noticed the Giles is now on back order at Tower and would like to get the Giles since it is supposedly a little more forgiving.
Keep in mind I have never flown either a Giles or a Sukhoi, but I can tell you what I've heard. Both planes are in the same category as far as flight tendencies. They both have tendencies to stall quite easily (which they are supposed to do) and they are both advanced airplanes. If you fly these planes slow like a fun fly they will stall. That's good if you are wanting to stall the plane for certain types of aerobatics, but bad if your making your final turn for landing They need more speed to keep above stall speed. These planes have high wing loading around 25 oz/ft rather than low wing loading on a fun fly (typically 12-18 oz/ft). That means these planes won't float.

As far as the Suk and the giles versus other aerobats, from what I hear their flight characteristics would probably be closest to the cap 232 than they would an Extra or an Edge. I think they Extra is normally considered the best all around aerobat while the Edge is normally considered the most capable aerobat. The Suk, Giles, and the Cap are somewhere in between.

I ordered the Sukhoi because I've always wanted one and love the imposing appearance of the round cowling. I should get mine in this week some time.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:08 AM
coomarlin

Looks like both deals are now officially dead. Both planes are out of stock until late december and they are back up to $129.99. We all lucked out on this deal. Now if they would only put the great Planes Wagstaff Extra on sale for $149 we could all through more money down.
Old 10-06-2003, 07:52 AM
P-51B

Well, my 2 Giles 202 arrived Saturday, and boy do they look good! I do see where the excess weight comes from, but they don't seem much heavier than other similiar aircraft. I probably won't get to start putting either together for about a month, but I am glad I got them...WHAT A DEAL!
Old 10-06-2003, 01:52 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw one for the first time at our club, looks rather small for a .46. More like the old .40 size. A .40 sized plane should weigh 4 1/2 to 5 lbs, not six. The planes flew well though, landed fast, but that could just be how the owner lands his plane. Is the Hanger Nine Cap still on sale? That looks like a better bargain to me. Looks perfect for my old K&B .60.
Old 10-06-2003, 02:12 PM
Volfy

The H9 CAP is still on sale at Chief for $90 (80 +10 shipping). It is a slightly larger aircraft.

I wasn't aware there is a difference between .40 and .46 model airplanes. Virtually all .46s are bored out .40s and weigh pretty much identical to their smaller cousins. Power-wise, not enough difference to write home about. I've always considered planes like these to be ".40 size". A lot of RCers just choose to up the power a bit with a .46.

It's kinda the same thing with .60 size planes and .75 engines. I don't thing I've ever seen a 4*75 or an UltraSport 75. Most manufacturers just label them as either 40, 60, or 1.20 and let us put whatever engine we want on them.

Anyway, I put in another order for 2 Sukhois before they were all gone. No idea why da heck I need 3 little Sukhois...
Old 10-06-2003, 02:28 PM
P-51B

ORIGINAL: Volfy-RCU

Anyway, I put in another order for 2 Sukhois before they were all gone. No idea why da heck I need 3 little Sukhois...
That's easy...because they cost so little you couldn't afford NOT to get them!
Old 10-06-2003, 02:43 PM
Sport_Pilot

Back in the 70's and 80's .40 sized engines were common and .46 engines were not. Now it is the other way. Back then 40 sized aerobatic planes were 50 to 54" wing span and wighed about 4 1/2 to just over 5 lbs. Now they are matched to a .46 engine (but they are still called 40 sized) and range from 55 to 58" wingspan and weigh 5 to 5 3/4 lbs. So that one seems like a heavy 40 sized plane and the Hanger 9 seems like a .52 sized plane. I plan to use an older .60 which has about the same power and weight as a modern .50 but torqier.
Old 10-06-2003, 03:01 PM
Volfy

I believe the reason why .40 used to be a popular size in the US, but has lately fallen out of favor to the .46 has to do with where the engines were designed and manufactured.

In the old days, the dominant model engine manufacturers were here in the US and English units rule supreme, thus the popular .40 and .60 displacement sizes. Later, when overseas engine begin to replace their American counterparts, they brought metric displacement classes to the frey.

.40 ci = 6.67 cc
.46 ci = 7.5 cc
.60 ci = 10 cc
.90 ci = 15 cc
1.20 ci = 20 cc

Most of the overseas manufacturers still keep .40 in their lineup, even though it's an unusual metric displacement, because it's still ingrained in the American RC mindset. Plus it doesn't cost much to modify the tooling slightly from the 7.5cc size.

This is purely speculation on my part. I'm sure some of the older RCers could shed more light on the history of RC engine development.
Old 10-06-2003, 03:37 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

The H9 CAP is still on sale at Chief for $90 (80 +10 shipping). It is a slightly larger aircraft.

It is on sale for $79 plus $10 shipping, I have had 3 in the past [sm=stupid.gif] (dont ask)

Its the "sport" model and flies well, it is not suited for a 46, it is grossly underpower for that motor. It has a 60" wingspan. It is more suited for a larger 2 stroke or a Saito 91 or a 100. It is about 6lbs as well. It needs the bigger motor to torque through any intermediate slow speed moves. A guy at our field has one with a 46fx and he just sport flies with it speeding around, hardly what a CAP is capable of but to each hs own. if I do one again it will def be with my Saito 91 with a 14x6 on it.

Hope we dont get too off topic

matt
Old 10-06-2003, 05:09 PM
Hopsterguy

Yes... and I ordered one of these, too! Came the other day... gorgeous model. Quality seems very good... listed as their "ULTRA" line.. which it should be given the original price. Some places are still trying to get $200 for them and the replacement wing costs more than this kit at Horizon... crazy. Surprised there isn't much written about them. Maybe the price kept people away in the past. I did find a few threads that said they were good flyers... who knows.

-Steve

ORIGINAL: Volfy-RCU

Old 10-07-2003, 02:29 AM
Tailwheel Pilot
My Feedback: (2)

I guess I missed the sale.The phoenix sukhoi-31 is now 129.99.Is this the plane your all talking about?Thanks--Mike
Old 10-07-2003, 02:45 AM
jcflysrc

That's the one...sorry.
Old 10-07-2003, 05:25 PM
coomarlin

I just got my Sukhoi today and like everyone else it's really well done. The covering is excellent and the preinstalled pinned hinges are a definate plus. After examining everything in the kit I think a lot of the weight seems to come from the cowl and the wheel pants. The cowl is 4.5 ounces and the pants are 2.5! Those 2 things together are nearly 1/2 pound. The plane itself feels really light though and I'm sure it should be a good flyer. The control throws won't hit 45 degrees so I guess a lot of 3D is out of the question, however the surfaces are bigger than they look and I assume the plane should knife edge well and should be able to slin like hell. I probably won't have mine done anythime soon, but I'll probably see one fly wednesday night and maybe next week. I'll see how the plane flys with the TT 46 and decide weather I want a bit more engine like the Mag 52.
Old 10-07-2003, 08:21 PM
Iddons

Can anyone recommend a smoke system for the Su31 or G202 ??
Old 10-07-2003, 10:48 PM
glowplug

coomarlin, the Suk will knife edge very nicely......my rudder throw isn't much more than what's recommended in the manual, and mine will climb in a knife edge.....also does great 4 point turns....

Iddons.....there is one that connects to a Macs muffler.....not sure what it's called....very small, lightweight, inexpensive, and it works well.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:57 AM
jcflysrc

[link=http://www.macspro.com/smokesys.asp]Here it is![/link]
Old 10-08-2003, 08:50 AM
Iddons

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.