Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
 Phoenix Sukhoi Engine Mount Problem >

Phoenix Sukhoi Engine Mount Problem

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Phoenix Sukhoi Engine Mount Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 06:39 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phoenix Sukhoi Engine Mount Problem

I am trying the engine in the Phoenix Sukhoi and am having a bit of a probelm. The hole in the firewall is not centered, so when I try and lineup the engine mount it is off center to the plane. I did go and buy a Great Planes adjustable mount since the mount that comes with the ARF is junk. Can anyone help me in center the engine mount?? Any little secrets? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:03 PM
My Feedback: (14)

Default RE: Phoenix Sukhoi Engine Mount Problem

Line up the face of the mount where the lugs sit with the line scribed on the firewall @ 45 degrees.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:07 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Chris,
I did try that, but even the scribed lines look like they are off center to the firewall. Maybe it is just me, I just wanted to check with people that have done the assembly so I don't foul up this awesome little plane.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:34 PM

They will appear off center since there is built in right thrust. So the lines are off center to the model's left, just like the hole is off center to the left.

-Steve
Old 10-10-2003, 08:12 PM

Yeah, I know what you mean snyperx,

I had the same problem with my suk. In the end I gave up and used the mount from an old VMAR arrow (the same as the pic below).

If you have owned a VMAR, there is a better than average chance that it broke up during a landing and that you'll have some remains

There is no doubt that the mount supplied with the sukhoi is better, however if you reinforce the firewall with ca glue and epoxy, all should be fine.
Attached Images  
Old 10-10-2003, 11:08 PM
My Feedback: (14)

Chris,
I did try that, but even the scribed lines look like they are off center to the firewall.
I had the cowl off mine tonight redoing the fuel lines. My mounts are centered either side of the hole with the motor pads lined up with the scribe line as I described and the spinner is centered. Maybe it is off a fraction and I corrected it when I mounted the cowl but I don't think so...

What's wrong with the stock mount? Mount one side to the motor, mount the mount to the firewall then slip the other side in place and drill the motor holes etc. It's not crap, just a bit different.
Old 10-11-2003, 12:42 AM
My Feedback: (23)

The stock mounts look fine to me. The only thing I don't like is that they are not width adjustable, but you should have no problem if you stay close to their recommended engine range. I normally don't care for this clamp-down kind of motor mount, but for a little .46, it should do just fine. If not, you can always drill and tap new holes to bolt the engine down instead.

Yes, they mounting holes are offset on the firewall to compensate for the built-in right thrust. Check to make sure the engine prop hub is centered along the thrustline after you've mounted the engine
Old 10-11-2003, 10:20 AM
My Feedback: (36)

My motor mount is the glass filled nylon type. Its 2-piece and one piece has oblong mounting holes to give a little adjustment when mounting.
Old 10-12-2003, 10:21 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Chris True & Volfy are correct, the reason for the hole offset is due to the thrust angle. The prop & shaft of engine will line up w/ planes center axis at the cowls end once mounted. The Manufacture, like other MF's take this in consideration on planes w/ large cowl/firewall planes. This is why the hole is & must be offset. Oh yea, the mounts are not crap, but to each his own.