Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

horizon hobby

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

horizon hobby

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 05:16 PM
taildragger21
My Feedback: (197)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default horizon hobby

I have had the h9 at-6 for a while now. I was ready to maiden this pretty bird when the left gear collapsed!!!!!! It did not even have a set screw. I know you guys all modify there horrible toy retracts, but being that 254.99 is alot of money to me i dont want to spend more on retracts. well looks like I have too. Contacted Horizon twice over a three week period!!and they said They could do nothing. I know thats the way the gear is made.......but geeze it should have a darn set screw, and at least fly the plane for the first time!!! They should at least fix this problem.........How do they keep customers. Oh well..........thats part of it I Guess. Never again will I buy another product from horizon!!!!!!! In my opinion there are better companies out there with good service, and better prices. Please dont flame me for this........just my opinion.......an experience like this tells you what all horizon is all about............................oh well [:'(]
Old 12-12-2003, 05:27 PM
Dazzler
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: horizon hobby

I understand that is your opinion, however I have had the best service from Horizon hobby one could ever expect. I would venture to say your problem they felt was not a fault of theirs or by all means they would certainly have replaced the item for you. I would by no means give up with Horizon they are a top notch sales/service company.

Daz...
Old 12-12-2003, 05:35 PM
taildragger21

It kinda is there fault when you take the plane out of the box and the gear leg falls out...................bad product
Old 12-12-2003, 06:05 PM
FormerCA.
My Feedback: (8)

I have had really good service from them too-give them a chance, I feel like they will do you right.
Old 12-12-2003, 06:10 PM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Taildragger,this is Dennis. I'm just down the road from you in Bowling Green,if you had called me I would have had it fixed. I'm a Hanger Nine dealer.
Old 12-12-2003, 06:19 PM
lxcoupe
My Feedback: (34)

Taildragger,
I had the exact results you had with my h9 p-51. The gear sux. It collapsed just siting on the ground idling. Same line from horizon. Nothing we can do. So I said fine. I have bought 3 funtanas. I will never buy another plane from them if it has retracts. The P-51 as well as the AT-6 are very good looking and flying airplanes. You just have to either modify or buy new retracts end of story.
Al Renkel
Old 12-12-2003, 06:33 PM
Hellcat716
My Feedback: (2)

I can't believe that you would even try to fly the plane without taking time to make sure to use thread lock on all of the set screws on the plane. If you would have done that you would have noticed a missing set screw. They have two holes on there gear, but only use one screw. I took the time to file a flat spot on the gear and installed another set screw in the empty hole and have not had one single problem with my gear. I have dealt with Horizon many times and they have been super. I feel it is your responsibility to make sure the plane is safe to fly. You are the pilot in command and the responsibility is in your hands.
Old 12-12-2003, 06:45 PM
John_RedSox
My Feedback: (75)

I must say all hangar 9 retracts are as bad as they come. I've replaced the 60, 120 size P51 with Robarts which set me back hundreds of dollars.. Horizon will not take any reponsibility for these aweful retracts and hopefully they will realize if they give the option for another type of retract, people will resond favorably. I know it's so frustrating but I have learned to expect it from Horizon. My guess is that you will too after your encounter. It's too bad they will not do anything for you and I'm surprosed by that. Please keep us posted on any new developements.

John
Old 12-12-2003, 09:50 PM
JAkridge

I have to agree with Hellcat716. Any ARF needs special work done before flying. And for sure H-9 retracts. I know I have 3 H-9 products. All have special work done and "OR" after market parts.

Still after all this if the gear really failed Horizon should of did something for you. I have had good luck with them so far.
Old 12-13-2003, 01:59 AM
Hellcat716
My Feedback: (2)

I agree the retracts in most ARF's are of poor quality. They make them well enough for you to get a couple of flights in before you have to make some adjustments for them to work correctly. I don't know how many people out there would continue to purchase ARF's if they increased the value of the plane $200.00 for a set of good retracts. I believe most of us know going in that we will be having trouble with the stock retracts in a short period of time. If you are not happy with the quality of these planes, I suggest you build from a kit then all of the responsibility will be in your hands. I don't think you can build a plane from a kit for the price that you can buy and ARF for.
Old 12-13-2003, 08:06 AM
Jemo
My Feedback: (5)

I don't know diddley about the retracts, but I can say Horizon has a great reputation for customer service. This doesn't mean everyone will be happy, but they doo a good job.
Old 12-13-2003, 09:38 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, this thread helps me make a decision. I have been waffling over the H9 T-34, but hesitate because that plane without retracts would be ludicrous, IMO, and the H9 retracts I've seen at our field have been less than impressive. Plus, how good can they (a set of retracts) BE for only $29.95???

I recently re-learned THAT lesson (if a product sells for cheap, it is, in all probability, made cheap) with a certain helicopter. Since it was going to be a trainer for my grandson, I went against my better judgement and bought cheap. It is now disassembled after less than ten flights, and AFTER I spent $45 in better bearings for a couple of critical areas where the supplied el cheapo bearings failed. Fixed that, but other stuff kept going wrong. All "fixable", but enough is enough. I have no intention of wondering, every time we take it out to fly, what is going to fail next.

So, the $200 I saved by buying the cheap one has turned into a $200 loss; PLUS the $400 I now must spend to get what I should have gotten in the first place. Those numbers sort of remind me of "beer math"...

And I think I'll stay with fixed gear models, until I'm ready to cough up the bucks for a well-made set of retracts.

Old 12-13-2003, 11:37 AM
avngr1

One of the fellas from our field was doing a review of the H-9 mustang and the retracts collapsed on the first landing. You are not alone.
Old 12-13-2003, 09:27 PM
tailskid

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Concerning the T-34 Steve, it doesn't come with 'em! Retracts that is....so YOU can buy your brand (Dave Brown, B&D, etc) and install those.

My T-6 right strut would fold (not the retract mechanism) during taxiing - so some Robart Struts replaced the kit's choice.

I'll repeat, when you get the T-34 it comes with fixed gear and YOU have to supply the retract unit.

Jerry
Old 12-14-2003, 08:49 AM
LSP972

I know, Jerry.

But it was my impression that nothing but the offered-as-an-option retracts from Horizon would fit.

Do you have this model and and some other brand of retracts? If so, how are they (the retracts) holding up? And I have some other questions I'll hold to see if you have one.

I'm just real gun-shy regarding retracts, period. The one time I tried them was less than satisfying, and there are a bunch of scale guys at my field who are always messing with their retract installations; some of which are VERY high-dollar. Granted, a lot of their problems stem from marginal landings, but we all have those.

Still, I'm looking for something a bit different. The T-34 fills the bill; IF I can get a reliable set of retracts.

Old 12-14-2003, 10:45 AM
Yak18
My Feedback: (11)

These product developers need to wake up and actually test the product in the field before they release it to the public. Why release a product for sale that has known poor quality?...it's a recipe for a bad reputation...which you don't want in the age of the internet forum! I have no complaints with the sales and delivery departments of Horizon they are top notch, but not much good if nobody buys the JUNK they are selling. It's simple; fix the product or lose business to your competitor.

Yak
Old 12-14-2003, 02:06 PM
taildragger21

You hit the nail on the head................so many people are blinded. Do you think horizon gives a crap about there horrible products??? apparently not. Horizon fix your junk, because you lost me and others fed up with your junk to your competitor's.[:-]
Old 12-14-2003, 02:22 PM
tailskid

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Steve, I'm looking into some retracts too....my hobby shop is on the other end of town, so I don't get over there too frequently. I'm waiting on an engine right now - other than that, the plane has been an easy one.

Currently the plane has fixed gear mounted and (if and) when I get some mechanical retracts I'll let you know. One minor problem with the retract situation is that you need TWO servos - one for the main gear, one for the nose gear.

Jerry
Old 12-14-2003, 07:27 PM
LSP972

Yeah, I need to bone up on what is available. Guess I'll make a new thread asking who has tried what non-Horizon retracts on this model.

I looked at the kit; nice, typical high-end ARF.

Old 12-15-2003, 10:19 AM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

Thanks for all of the posts on this guys. I do want to say that in fact we do care a great deal about the quality of the products that we sell. And, also that we do indeed test them to great lengths before we bring them to market. In this particular case, it is a tough issue. Mechanical retracts in general take quite a bit of tinkering to set-up and maintain. (learned that from many years of pattern flying before fixed gear models came into vogue).
Pneumatic retracts are certainly easier to set-up (though they have their own headaches), but cost quite a bit more. How much more would you be willing to pay for an RF warbird to get pneumatic gear with it? Twice?

The philosophy were following right now is to keep the sticker price down, and include mechanical retracts. If your willing to stay on top of them, they will continue to work. That being said, we are also working on improved gear quality. The new Corsair is a good example. The gear are metal, have adjustment screws to remove play.

Would you prefer to but the ARF w/o any retracts, like the approach we took with our T-34 .40?

Input is invited.

Thanks Guys!

Mike McConville
Old 12-15-2003, 10:50 AM
s3nfo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike,

Great having a manufacturer that's responsive.
I've built a number of H9 planes (the 80' CAP 232, the smaller sharkmouth CAP and just recently the 1.50 Mustang) and have to say I think your quality is superb, except the retracts in the Mustang that is. The retracts were way too loose and the plane wobbled way too much even before the retracts had any wear on them. On the first landing, which was smooth with no side load, the downlock tangs broke off the trunion block and the gear folded scuffing my pretty new airplane. I'd personally prefer to pay $20 less for the airplane and use my own retracts. I'm probably in the minority on this though as I've been flying for 30+ years and have 10 or 15 sets of retracts in the shop that I've used before and are of good quality that I can quickly subsitute. On the other side, I'd gladly pay $40 more for the Mustang if the supplied retracts were of good enough quality to support the airplane (no slop, smooth movement and parts strong enough for the intended use). The 1.50 Mustang retracts look like they were designed for at most a .60 size airplane up to about 8 Lbs and are no way good enough for a 14 Lb airplane.

Thanks for listening,
Old 12-15-2003, 12:36 PM
LSP972

Okay, I'll bite: please define "stay on top of them."

I have no worries about the quality of the model itself; my concern is that I do NOT want to have to be constantly messing with the retracts to keep them functioning.

I have no problem with a requirement to take time and care setting them up; hey, I fly helicopters too, and care and patience in set-up is the name of that game.

But if these mechanicals are like the other set of inexpensive mechanical retracts I had, and need to be tweaked, adjusted, straightened, etc., after every flight or two, then that is what I'm trying to avoid.

Old 12-15-2003, 02:02 PM
Capt G
My Feedback: (8)

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I've got to agree with s3nfo about the process. I too would be willing to buy a warbird without retarcts and for $20-30 price decrease - or - spend a few bucks more and get real, solid and reliable gear. I've had to replace the gear in my 1.50 H-9 P-51. All that said - the H-9 ARFs are without a doubt among the best out there.
Old 12-17-2003, 12:09 PM
Yak18
My Feedback: (11)

MMcConville, thanks for the reply to these posts. I cannot imagine a scenario where you and other expert modelers in the development process could have looked at one of these airplanes wobbling around on the ground and said " yep she's ready for sale" but that's what apparently is happening. Why can't you have the same factory who built the superb airframe, design and manufacture some decent retracts comparable to Robart's offerings. I guarantee if you sent them some Robarts they could duplicate them for a 10th of the cost! Landing gear systems are not so high-tech as to be beyond the capabilities of you and the Chinese. Steel tubing, springs, a little welding (very little), grey paint, that's about it. Also why mechanicals? Nothing but trouble...you should know that.

You asked if we were willing to pay more, perhaps twice, and I think most of us will pay whatever we have to to get a product that works without having to be modified! BTW, I love Corsairs and the Hanger 9 is pretty..and just what I've always wanted but if those gear don't work, I will not waste my time and money on it.

Yak
Old 12-17-2003, 05:19 PM
taildragger21

RE: horizon hobby (in reply to Steve Campbell) Report This Post | (Post No. 20)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for all of the posts on this guys. I do want to say that in fact we do care a great deal about the quality of the products that we sell. And, also that we do indeed test them to great lengths before we bring them to market. In this particular case, it is a tough issue. Mechanical retracts in general take quite a bit of tinkering to set-up and maintain. (learned that from many years of pattern flying before fixed gear models came into vogue).
Pneumatic retracts are certainly easier to set-up (though they have their own headaches), but cost quite a bit more. How much more would you be willing to pay for an RF warbird to get pneumatic gear with it? Twice?

The philosophy were following right now is to keep the sticker price down, and include mechanical retracts. If your willing to stay on top of them, they will continue to work. That being said, we are also working on improved gear quality. The new Corsair is a good example. The gear are metal, have adjustment screws to remove play.

Would you prefer to but the ARF w/o any retracts, like the approach we took with our T-34 .40?

Input is invited.

Keep the sticker price down????? What after some poor kid in a sweat shop makes the airplane you have what like........30.00 dollars in the airplane, and I pay 254.99 ?? I really dont think putting a little more effort in the quality of the landing gear will break your company. Improved gear quality.....huh!!! Your corisair gear Are horrid as well!!! Put aside all the bull......................In my opinion eather drop the prices and let us supply our own or fix the friggin" gear. THis is why I have been turned off from your company. Give me non workable landing gear, and you will not even help me or back it up..............[:@]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.