Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

What do I do now?????

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

What do I do now?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2003, 05:56 PM
beto9
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do I do now?????

I bought a Goldberg Tiger 2 ARF. I like the "tigers" and wanted to have a smaller plane than the Tiger 60 to bring to the field.
The ARF is very complete... even the fuel tank comes assembled for a two line setup.
No real problems assembling it...
All finished, now, lets balance it...
D I S A S T E R ! ! ! ! ! !
The plane is soooo tail heavy that it makes you cry!
No error in construction, remember, is an ARF!
I was fitting it for an OS .50 FX. The instructions say to have the propeller backplate 4 1/8" from the firewall. This way it clears the sidewalls by about 1/4".
Well, I tried setting the engine farther and farther ahead until I run out of mounting bar.
Then I thought that maybe I could fit an OS .72 FS (4 cycle). Being heavier, it would work... Again, I run out of mounting stock.
So, now I have decided to go back to the .50 FX, mount it as far ahead as I can, add a ply backplate behind the mounts and still have to add weight, a lot, in the nose PLUS putting a heavy spinner (bronze) on the engine.
Yes, I tried everything, placing the receiver battery underneath the fuel tank.... nothing balances this beast.
When I built the Tiger 60 from a kit I noticed that it needed weights and a heavy spinner up front... but nothing compares to this plane.
I wonder... did Goldberg, back from the dumps, ever tested the construction of this ARF, which is new in their stable of models?
Albert
Old 02-22-2003, 08:25 PM
Bill L

Look at the Product Guide, Kit reviews for the Tiger 2.
Alain Berger Posted two building suggestions. One was to add nose weight in the ARF model.
Can you put the battery up in the nose somewhere?
I looked only at the photo of the plane, but there are a lot of reviews on the plane, and it has high ratings.
It looks like it has a short nose (in front of the balance point) and a long fuselage (weight) behind the Balance Point. It looks good, so GOOD LUCK in getting it to fly good for you![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-22-2003, 10:36 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Mine balanced with no lead.I use an Enya .50cx way out on the mounts with the battery behind the fuel tank.
I built mine as a trike and not a tail dragger. What did you do on yours? What kind of balance stand are you using? When the tank is empty on mine the tail does fall to the ground but the CG is at the back of the range.
later daveo
Old 02-25-2003, 10:50 PM
3dd
My Feedback: (6)

sounds like you might be just not putting the cg were it belongs ,check to manuel and find out if it is right or not.put it 27 % of the wing root cord and it will be right then rebalance it good luck
Old 03-06-2003, 05:00 PM
Bill L

beto 9; DID YOU GET IT TO FLY YET? Did you get it balanced? How are you doing? Spring is on its way[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-06-2003, 06:23 PM
beto9
My Feedback: (1)

Some time later and a lot of trials and errors...
Thanks for your interest guys...
Two fundamental things: the plane IS tail heavy and the plane drops the tail, even when balanced, while standing in the mains in a trycicle configuration.
So... after a lot of trying I figured the following configuration:
Engine is planced 7/8" ahead of the recommended configuration. Also, a 2 1/2 ounces brass spinner is used.
That balances the plane to the point that is indiferent to drop the nose or the tail.... The balance point is as the manual recomends, 3 7/8 " from the leading edge.
The plane still drops the tail in the ground. Took out the main (wing mounted) wheels and bent them back a little (perhaps 1/4") and now the plane stays on the 3 wheels... but not too much... if it hits a bump will drop the tail. I assume that when the 12 oz. fuel tank is full it will help when taxing and taking off.... and... when landing, then it will have a "natural" flare...
I have built the Tiger 60 from a kit (this one was an ARF) and had the same characteristics...
Still, you can't beat the way they fly...
Now, about flying it... hey, I live in Montreal... we still have about 15" of snow in the ground and not telling you the wind-chill factor... Will wait till May!
Albert
Old 03-06-2003, 06:32 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Albert, mine drops the tail to. When the tank is full OR the engine is running the tail will stay up.
I guess there is enough prop wash at idle to keep it up. Neet thing on this when you get to fly.
I like to do touch and goes without touching the nose wheel. Also , preinstalled in the tail are
blind nuts for a cleet tail wheel. Thread a nylon bolt into the rear one to save the Ultracoat
on the tail. Finally be carefull not to overtighten the wing bolts. The bocks can be easly split.
later daveo
Old 03-09-2003, 04:35 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

After having to retire my original Sky Tiger from 21 yrs of service, I replaced it with the Tiger 2 ARF. Not only could I get it to balance without putting 4 oz. of lead in the front, plus my battery, tank, and an OS 46 SF, I also had problems with incedence and warpage on the wings. No matter what I did, this Tiger flew like a drunken segall and finally was retired for the dubro hardware it came with to be used on another plane. (We used the shell as a glider at a skeet shoot) Just built a Eagle from a new kit, and after building many of the old Goldberg kits, found that this one, like the Tiger ARF, was nothing like the originals. I bought Goldberg for the name I guess cause I am tired of all the cheap quality stuff comming out of China, but I guess Golderberg is just a name manufactured by the same guys who make all the rest of the "poor quality" products that are flooding our market. As for the ARF, no I do not think they test these designs after mass producing them. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-24-2003, 06:06 AM
Goliath

It was not long after Carl Goldberg died that the company went to **** .
Old 04-25-2003, 02:50 AM
georgehere

Albert, you may have solved your problem by now...I just found your post while looking for stuff on the H9 Easy2 trainer VRTF. My best flying plane at present is my CG Tiger 2. Mine was from a kit, and I just looked at the plans and the CG is 3 5/8 to 3 3/4" from the leading edge on the kit plane. I have not seen the ARF. My plans call for the battery to be installed on a tray that fits under the fuel tank and this apparently helps a lot. My first engine on the Tiger2 was a Saito 56, and I still needed 4 oz of lead in the nose. and I hated to carry the weight, but it flew great. I have since bought a Saito 72 and need no lead on the plane. It balances slightly nose down and now has the power to do good verticals. It won't do a knife edge, but does good snaps and spins. I enjoy practicing touch an go's and crosswind landings as it is so predictable. All in all, just an enjoyable plane to fly. If Carl Goldberg knew the kit plane balanced better with the battery under the fuel tank, seems like they would have made provisions for that in the ARF. I would think about cutting a small hatch under your fuel tank inside the fuse, then putting some light ply there to keep the strength up after you slip in the battery. Maybe some of this will help.
George Here
Old 04-25-2003, 03:01 AM
georgehere

Second reply from Georgehere.....Albert, went to the plans again and measured the prop back plate to the firewall...4 1/8".....Measured my Saito 72 in the plane and it is 4 7/8"...When I put in the 56 I did not measure, just wanted clearance for the carb and fuel lines....it just came out that way. The 72 bolted in the same holes. Thought I would give you this additional info.
George.....Orlando, Fl [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]