Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Flaps on Great Planes Cessna 182

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Flaps on Great Planes Cessna 182

Old 05-28-2002, 11:36 AM
NCBrit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flaps on Great Planes Cessna 182

I tested the flaperons some more this weekend. I found that although the stall speed is lower with some flap deployed, the tip stall, and resulting spin was in fact more violent, which was to be expected with the washin condition created by the barn door style flaperons. The greatest concern is spin recovery, and the amount of time that you have to recover before the stall develops into a full spin.

Given that the main purpose of this discussion is to lower the landing speed of the cessna, I wouldnt suggest using the flaperon during a landing. In fact I have only tested them at altitude, and have not used them myself close to the ground.

I think that I am going to build some real flaps into my wing, possibly using a thin piece of sheeting, hinged on the underside of the wing. Then I will not have to disturb the covering on the wing.
Old 05-28-2002, 02:23 PM
cassio

Thank you, Brett, for the site (http://www.gpsoftware.com/ glossary_w.htm ) and the hint (hinged on the underside of the wing). If you can, put some pictures here when you finish to build the flaps...
Doubt: how do you do go to controll this flap('thin piece of sheeting') without increase (a little) drag?
Old 05-28-2002, 07:31 PM
swill
My Feedback: (17)

here's my flaps -
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	12510_1169.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	7940  
Old 05-28-2002, 07:32 PM
swill

another shot

I really enjoyed the Flaps on this plane.

Name:	12511_1169.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	7941  
Old 05-28-2002, 07:50 PM
cassio

Very good, Swill ! Thank you for reply. If you could give us more details of the flap's implementation, we would thank you.
Old 05-29-2002, 11:52 AM
swill

Cassio -

They're pretty easy to make. The best time to do it is before you join the wings together. What I did was mark a line parallel to the trailing edge, with the flap chord the same as the aileron chord (width). There is a rear spar in the wing which aids in the flap making process. Simply cut a little behind the line... take some scrap balsa and fill in the TE of the wing and LE of the flap.

Make sure you bevel the flap so it can extend downward... I made the bevel in this direction ---> \

Then I hinged it with CA hinges, but hinge points will work well, too. For the flap servo I made a hatch just like the ones for the ailerons. Cut the balsa away and add servo rails... then make a ply hatch for the servo with the arm sticking thru the side, just like the aileron.

hope this helps,
Scott
Old 05-29-2002, 12:54 PM
cassio

Ok, Scott. It Helps very much. But I'm in doubt:
I guess, TE means 'Trailing Edge' and LE means 'Leading Edge', ok ?(I'm not good in abbreviations, yet...)
Other thing: 1- What is the difference between CA Hinges and Hinge points ?
2- How to install them?
Thank you.
3- Can I use Mini Servos instead Standard Servos to flaps control?
Old 05-29-2002, 04:24 PM
swill

YES! TE = Trailing Edge, LE = Leading Edge

Hinge points (made by Robart and Great Planes... I prefer Robart) see the pic for the best description. To install them, simply drill the correct size hole in both parts and glue in (epoxy, hinge glue)

Yes, mini-servos should work but I'd go with something similar to a HS-81 (by Hitec)... the very small HS-55's will probably be too weak. I used standard Futaba servos because I had many available.

You'll want to mix in some 'down' elevator when you drop the flaps - not a lot. I experimented and used about 10 - 15%, I think.

Good luck!
Attached Images  
Old 05-29-2002, 04:59 PM
cassio

Thank you, Scott.
Good flights for you.
Old 05-31-2002, 11:33 AM
cassio

Default GP Cessna 182 - Rudder Throw

Hello, everyone.
I saw in site technotes that the rudder throw is 1-7/8". Isn't this so much? It is about 4,5 centimeters! Is it correct, or I'm mistaken?
Thanks.
Old 05-31-2002, 11:42 AM
swill

Cassio -

I inquired about that right after I got it - they say it's correct. But I still don't think that much throw is necessary. I didn't fly mine with that much throw. If I remember correctly, the rudder throw they recommend for the GP Cessna is about the same as for the much BIGGER Top Flite Cessna.

I'd say about 1 1/8" should be OK - test fly it and see what you like. On my aerobatic planes I always dial in as much as I can get.

PS - don't do low level aerobatics with the Cessna!

- Scott
Old 05-31-2002, 11:56 AM
cassio

...and how much throw would be necessary for the flap's?
Old 05-31-2002, 12:35 PM
swill

I set my flaps on my 3 position switch on the transmitter... so I had up, partially down and full down. The real plane lands using either Flaps 30 or 40 degrees.

I never measured on my model, but for the middle position I used about 3/4" and max extended was about 1.25".

Experiment flying the plane with flaps down at altitude so you can get a feel for using them during landing. When I flew my Cessna, I always used rudder to make coordinated turns - you'll need the rudder even more at low speed.

Hope this helps,
Scott
Old 05-31-2002, 03:46 PM
cassio

Scott, thank you again(and again). . .
Now, I'm in doubt if my radio(Futaba 6XAS) has that 3 position switch. I think it doesn't have. If no, is there some way to set up my switches (two of them) to get those 3 positions? Other issue: Do you recommend use the knob to set up flaps during flight?
Old 05-31-2002, 03:56 PM
swill

Cassio

my radios have a 3 position switch (8U and 9Z), not sure about the 6XAS - although it's a fine radio. you are not required to have them on a 3 pos switch, that's just my preference because it emulates a full-size aircraft, more or less.

I don't like the knob because it's hard to turn while flying the plane, plus I can't tell where the control surface is.

I don't know how to use 2 switches like you said - maybe make one switch a master 'on' switch for flaps and the other being 1/2 down and full down?

Again, these are just my ideas and opinions - do what's best for you.
Good luck with it!
- Scott
Old 05-31-2002, 04:04 PM
cassio

Ok. What about I use only two positions(Up/Down)? It is not so real like three positions, but... I just don't know if the (air)break will be strong when I switch it down...
Old 06-01-2002, 04:10 AM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

There is nothing wrong with a 2 position only switch. Just be ready to feed in some down elevator when the flaps kick in. When full flaps are deployed quickly before the plane has a chance to bleed off airspeed, the plane tends to pitch up from the additional lift generated.

Flaps are a barrel of fun and add an extra dimension to your plane's flight envelop, especially if you have a capable computer TX that can do all the fancy mixes.
Old 01-10-2003, 12:03 AM
bradyrc

Default Model Sport Video (Hangar 9 w/Flaps)

I bought the very air plane that was in the model sport video. Hasn't been flown since the making of the video. The only reason I bought it was because a newbie was getting ready to buy it as a 1st plane. Couldn't imagine what would happen to a nice plane like this being used as a trainer. I am selling it for $180.00.

Thanks
Corey
Old 01-10-2003, 02:09 AM
RC2K3

Default Will spoilers or flapperons work on my VMAR PC-9

Hi,
Ive just ordered a VMAR PC-9 (don't start bagging VMAR! ) and was wondering if it was worth modifying it for 2 aileron servos so I can use the flapperon fuction on my JR XF631 radio. Will it have the tipstall effect like on the cessna? It has full length strip ailerons.

Cya
DF MAN

Name:	46140_19870.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	7943  
Old 02-10-2006, 05:43 PM
SkyStalker

Default RE: Flaps on Great Planes Cessna 182

Hi there,
I have a GP 182 and i want to install floats and flaps in it, Would this be too complicated with the structure? I am powering it with a Saito 82 and flying at 8500 ft ASL.

Any suggestions?.

Thanks,

Pedro.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:28 AM
huminski

I added flaps to my GP 182, I took some pics during construction. I am at work now (yeah midnight shift) but when I get home tomorrow I will try to dig them up if I remember. you can also email me at sch1234 (at) gmail (dot) com if I end up forgetting to post here.

It was easy. I highly recommend adding the flaps before you join the wing halves. It is not a tough mod at all. I have not flown it yet (hanging in the garage for about 3 years now!) but I did build the Top Flite 82" version and the flaps were awesome on that one. I'm sure they're just as much fun on the smaller 182.

Steve
Old 02-12-2006, 09:03 AM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Hi Pedro, My thought is that flaps on this small Cessna is not worth the effort. The wing loading is high to begin with and flaps might add to this problem. And with the added weight of floats and at 8500 feet you will have a handful. If you go ahead with this I recommend that you only us a very mild setting for the flaps when you deploy them. I could send you a couple of pictures, but since Steve will do so I'll defer. Best of luck.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:11 AM
huminski

Here is how I did it.

Old 02-13-2006, 05:50 PM
SkyStalker

Thanks Steve for posting your pictures, they will be helpful to me and anyone who wants no make this mod.
I will go ahead with the flaps and hold on with the floats for a while . If the plane flies well and does not seem critical, I will install them later,

thanks again.

Pedro.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:12 AM
steve2972
My Feedback: (2)

I have been looking for a small 40 size scale cessna kit or ARTF for a while which had flaps.After reading this thread I thought this would be the kit to get and modify.

Stripped the wing and did some balsa bashing and this is the result-not bad eh ?

Name:	Db84624.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	429578   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20605.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	429579  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.