Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

ARF for the ENYA ? PLEASE Enya flyers HELP!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

ARF for the ENYA ? PLEASE Enya flyers HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 10:48 PM
Dmacsimum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARF for the ENYA ? PLEASE Enya flyers HELP!

Fellers,
I have tried to look for an ARF for the new Enya .53 four stroke I recently received, and I can not find anything that would work. Here's why: If the model is for 40 sized to .56 four strokes it sems the mounting beams are to short due to the valve assembly, and carb being in the rear of the engine. This causes the need for the engine to be mounted far forward on the beams. This position leaves no room left on the beams for the front mounting holes of the engine to be bolted through to the beam.

Also, I have found by using some extra larger engine mounts I have laying around either the rear webbing, and/or the beam itself gets in the way of the carb linkage horn for movement.

If you fly ENYA's, please let me on the secret of what plane, Hopefully an ARF, that you fly, and how you have had to hook up the linkage?

I want to make the ENYA sing through the air. Putta putta putta putta putta putta putta putta putta putta putta putta putta putta putta putta putta putta putta putta putta putta putta putta!

Dennis
Old 01-13-2004, 12:47 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ARF for the ENYA ? PLEASE Enya flyers HELP!

Dennis,
Take a look at the Yellow Aircraft .30 sized models. I have my .53 4-stroke in an older EZ .30 Sukhoi and the match is as close to perfect as I could have ever wanted. From what I've seen in this forum, the .53 would be a natural home in the YA models as well.

As far as mounts go, you can always grind away the rear web as it doesn't do a whole lot once the mount is bolted to the firewall and the engine is installed. Sig still uses separate beam mounts in their kits and they work fine. If the beam itself gets in the way, you may need to pass the pushrod off to the side, go forward past the arm, make a U turn with the pushrod/cable, and attach it to the throttle arm from the front. This is pretty much standard practice with 4-strokes due to how close the throttle arm is to the firewall.

John
Old 01-13-2004, 02:50 PM
tetherite

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got an Enya 53 in VK Cherokee and it makes a great sport plane combo - Putta-putta - around the sky. No problem with the linkage - direct from servo to the throttle arm. This was one of the kits made by Proctor after they bought the VK line. The kit is not produced anymore, but this is one fine plane. The plans have a 1965 copywrite date!!!
FYI.
Ray
Old 01-13-2004, 09:02 PM
Dmacsimum

Thanks fellers,
Yelow Aircraft huh? I will definatly take a look. John, You don't have any close up pics of your plane (cowl off) that would show the engine mount, linkage set up would? I'm familar with the return linkage you talk about. I hooked up my YS110FZ that way on my Spacewalker GP plane.

Dennis
Old 01-14-2004, 04:42 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

Dennis, I'll try to take a pic of the nose end when I get home tonight.

John
Old 01-15-2004, 09:09 PM
Dmacsimum

Thanks JOhn, I think I'll buy a YA 300L 30 size ARF plane.
Dennis
Old 01-16-2004, 01:08 AM
JWN
Community Moderators

I lied about my throttle setup on my .53. It's been a long time since I assembled this model, but I think the cable angle was too funky going around the tank so I ended up using a Z bend in the cable to get it to the carb. Sorry about the poor quality of the photo. The camera insisted on focusing on the exhaust nut and I didn't feel like messing with the focus options

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66731.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	90984  
Old 01-17-2004, 09:53 PM
Dmacsimum

John, Thanks a bunch for the picture!!!!!! I really appreciate it. I've been thinking, and I may not be ready for such an agile airplane. I'm now leaning towards the WM Rambler 45 which I believe someone in the past has recommended. I just need to know which engine mount they use. If its the same as the one in the Super sports 40S the engine will again not fit. If its the next size up, I know I will have enough beam to make rearward room etc.....

I'm going to post a new thread on this subject for I need to know.
Thnaks for everyones help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dennis
Old 01-17-2004, 11:07 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

Dennis,
If you don't feel comfortable with a highly responsive model quite yet, your .53 will fly ANY .40 sized low wing model. It won't have unlimited vertical, or be a rocket, but it will fly it and fly it well. Of course the lighter and cleaner the design, the higher the performance. I used to fly with a guy who flew a Telemaster .40 with an Enya .46. The plane weighed almost 7 lbs., yet the little .46 pulled it around fine. I see on WM's site that they recommend a .70 4-stroke for the Rambler 40. If you go this route, be prepared for the model to be a little on the sedate side. OTOH, the Rambler 30 calls for up to a .52 4-stroke. The wing area is respectable at 527 sq. in. At the top recommended weight you will end up with just over 19 oz per square foot wing loading which means it should be a real ***** cat at low speeds. Remember, you can always pull the throttle back if it's too quick, or you can use a flatter pitch prop. A 12X6 will keep the top end speed under control while providing excellent climb performance. If I were looking for a nice flying ARF with your engine but didn't want something that was going to keep me on my toes the whole time, I'd take a serious look at the Rambler 30.

But, that's just my opinion.

John
Old 01-18-2004, 01:06 AM
Dmacsimum

John,
Again thanks for the info and suggestions. Yup, I have seriously thought of the Rambler 30 but I bet WM uses the same engine mount as they do in their Super Sports 40S ARF. This engine mount will not work W/the Enya .53 for the beam is just too short to mount the engine. I need to choose a plane that steps up in size in the engine mount. The Rambler 30 states it can use up to a 52 4/stroke as does the SS 40S. This is for the standard 4/stroke engine that has the valve assembly in the front, not rearward.

I would almost bet 20.00 bucks WM uses the next step up in mounts for their 45 sized Rambler (WM#PL5111050). While the plane might be underpowered, if I could get the model to CG right, I'll bet it would be a good putter putter around on a Sunday..... I'll save my verticle work for my GP Spacewalker and YS 110FZ

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60098.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	91660  
Old 01-18-2004, 01:39 AM
JWN
Community Moderators

Dennis,
You can always swap out the mount for one that better suits the engine. Just knock out the original T-nuts from the firewall if they don't match up to the new mounts, install new ones for the new mount and you're ready to keep on going!

John