Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Goldberg Tiger 60 Engine Choice?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Goldberg Tiger 60 Engine Choice?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 03:29 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Goldberg Tiger 60 Engine Choice?

I just got the .91 4-stroke bolted in. (same bolt holes on the engine bearers ) and checked the CG. The .91 is enough lighter than the .61 2-stroke.... I need 2 oz more noseweight to get the same CG. Thats with the bigger, heavier prop... same spinner.

THe prop hub ended up 1/2 inch further forward... (the bolt holes were already as far forward as the mount allows.)

Now how can I make that extra 2 oz be USEFUL weight instead of dead lead? (I hate dead lead...)
Old 02-29-2004, 07:32 PM
tiggerinmk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reading through your posts, it looks like you're using a trike setup, plastic spinner and possibly a wood prop. A couple of thoughts immediately spring to mind: use an APC prop, these are probably heavier than most and more efficient too. Swap to an aluminium spinner, and switch to a fults nose gear.
Old 03-01-2004, 12:32 AM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

ORIGINAL: FHHuber

Now how can I make that extra 2 oz be USEFUL weight instead of dead lead? (I hate dead lead...)
A larger rx pack?
Old 03-10-2004, 12:49 PM
jetlag1

I also have a tiger 60 ARF. I also have a saito 80 sitting around . Will it be adequate for this aircraft?
Old 03-10-2004, 12:57 PM
tiggerinmk

Adequate? I think so, but then some people have a funny idea of what is 'adequate'....

I was going to put my OS FS70 in mine, but somehwere along the line I convinced myself to order an Irvine .72

This ARF doesn't have the usual gaping hole in the firewall for the average ARF RST style fuel tank. This sounds to me like the ideal excuse to plonk in a Sullivan slant tank. Does anyone know what's the biggest that will fit?
Old 03-10-2004, 07:02 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Siato .80 will be a good match.

14X6 on a .91 fourstroke... I need to put a throttle limit on it, because full throttle is just too much. 75% throttle is EASY unlimited vertical (probably all it needs to pull out of a torque roll... but I'm not torque rolling mine yet.) It hangs on the prop just fine at a bit over 1/2 throttle. (needing just a little down stick to keep it from falling on its back)

I'm still rebalancing the ARF... I'm .25 inches behiind the sp[ar now and it still acts nose heavey by the NSRCA trim sheet. (pulls up with speed increase. Dives when inverted.)

I plan to try a 15X5 or a 15 X 4 if I can find find such a prop.

I've bent my mains 10 deg toward the rear (torqued the torsion rod section of the strut) bringing the axels back appx 1/3 inch... and still have very little weight n the nosewheeel, but if you put the tail on the ground, it does teeter back onto the nosewheel. Since I plan to move the CG back jst a bit more... I'll probably make new main struts to keep the ground clearance and get the wheels back another 1/4 inch. The nosewheel has very little authority in a crosswind with a full fuel tank now. (forget getting the nose out of the wind to taxi back after a landing... no weight on the nosewheel.)
Old 03-11-2004, 03:53 PM
Walfam
My Feedback: (1)

[X(]
I got a double dose of the bug!!! Was looking for the special tiger 60 with the retracts, was told no more they gone forever, so i bought a regular kit. You can see this one comeing, I found the one with the robart air retract system in it, and the kit was price cheaper than you can buy the retract system. so i bought it also!!!!!!!! so I am reading this post with rapted attention!
I will post some more as I start construction but I have to finish my ov-10 bronco first!
Old 03-11-2004, 04:03 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Hadn't heard anything about them not being available, heck tower still has 'em http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDJC5&P=7
Old 03-11-2004, 06:01 PM
bdtsr

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Dubro 16oz in mine.
Old 03-13-2004, 09:08 PM
tiggerinmk

bdstr,
Thanks for the fuel tank info.....

I went to a local swap meet today and came back with a Magnum XL 91 4 stroke, so I guess that's my engine dilemma sorted out...
Old 03-14-2004, 12:13 PM
bdtsr

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: RE: Goldberg Tiger 60 Engine Choice?

My Magnum 91 4c was going to go in mine, but it is now going into my GP Tiger Moth and an Enya 90 4c is going into the Tiger. The Enya has an air bleed carb and does not like being upside down in the Moth.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:47 PM
ggale
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: RE: Goldberg Tiger 60 Engine Choice?

Mine started life with an rjl 61. Then a K&B 61. Both were adequate. Then made it a tail dragger, added a thundertiger .91 4st, and it is excellent. Still my favorite plane after several years, and models. Enjoy!
Old 04-22-2004, 03:40 PM
tiggerinmk

It's gone a bit quiet in here, how are all the Tigers?
Mine's still not built yet, but I'm back on the case now. Just got in contact with Central Hobbies to order those carbon fiber rods for the rudder / elevator; the cost sure does add up by the time you've ordered all the clevises etc... On the plus side, you should check out their prices on OS F plugs and APC props, quite a bit cheaper than TH.....

One other question, I noticed that some of you are doing quite a bit of engine swapping, when I did this to my LT-40 I ended up with an engine mount that looked like swiss cheese. Is the suplied ARF mount interchangable with an off the shelf mount without redrilling the firewall?
Old 04-27-2004, 05:24 PM
edygert
My Feedback: (12)

I had someone recommend a OS .91 2 stroke engine today for a Tiger 60. From everything I have read, it seems like they probably meant a 4 stroke. Is there any sense is using that large of a 2 stroke engine? FYI, I am planning on using the Tiger 60 to compete in pattern competitions (Sportsman class, I am just beginning).
Old 04-28-2004, 05:41 AM
Me-109K4

I've got an OS 91 2c waiting to go in mine.
Old 04-28-2004, 09:40 PM
edygert
My Feedback: (12)

What prompted your choice of engine? Is an OS 91 2C (or equivalent or larger) required to perform the pattern maneuvers? I have also heard that the plane builds tail heavy and therefore a larger engine would help with the CG.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:17 AM
Me-109K4

I wanted a 2c for this plane, and I like to overpower them. I originally intended to use the GMS 76, but the OS 91 weighs about the same.
Old 04-29-2004, 04:31 AM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ahh the Sweet Tiger. My very first plane was a Sky tiger from CG Models. Sometime around 1982. My dad, my brother and me all learned to fly on it, and it still lasted 4 years.
We ran a OS 40. sp on it, Then I bought a .60 Tiger and ran a ST .61, plenty enough power for the way this plane flies. IMHO
Old 05-04-2004, 10:01 AM
tiggerinmk

Was playing around with the tailwheel last night..... On the Tiger 60 ARF, there are pre-installed blind nuts for mounting a tailwheel although I haven't the foggiest which one. The holes don't match up for the Sulivan wheel bracket so I had to install new nuts. No big deal, but it does require forward planning if you are going with a trike setup and thinking of converting later as the inside of the fuse is no longer accessible one the tail is assembled. Anyhow, now that the tailwheel is on, I'll probably go with that option anyway...

I test ran the engine last night, the original idea was to use the 65LA initially (on the trike) and then swap it for the Magnum 91 later. The 65LA is giving me around 11,000rpm on an APC 13x6, so maybe that'll be adequate. So now I'm thinking of sticking with the LA on a taildragger setup..
Old 05-04-2004, 10:15 AM
P-51B

ORIGINAL: tiggerinva

Was playing around with the tailwheel last night..... On the Tiger 60 ARF, there are pre-installed blind nuts for mounting a tailwheel although I haven't the foggiest which one. The holes don't match up for the Sulivan wheel bracket so I had to install new nuts.

The holes should fit the Carl Goldberg/Klett 60 size tail wheel setup. See the following web page;

http://www.klettplastics.com/pages/1/index.htm
Old 05-13-2004, 06:04 AM
P-51B

For those that have done the conversion to taildragger, what are the dimensions of the landing gear goldberg sells for the Tiger 60? And, are you happy with the gear width (wheel to wheel) or would you like it wider or taller?

I am thinking of checking to see if graptech has anything that will work for it, since I will be ordering some other gear from them anyway.