Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 Twist 3D

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hangar 9 Twist 3D

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 10:55 AM
daywalker
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hangar 9 Twist 3D

Never mind. Sorry.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:08 AM
ghee-grose

That's a good change! I like the stock graphics but it sucks when somebody else at the field has one that looks EXACTLY like it.[:@]
Old 05-13-2004, 11:10 AM
P-51B

ORIGINAL: daywalker-RCU

LOL. No, actually all yellow on top, black on the bottom.[img][/img]

[X(] I guess I shouldn't look for a job at the psychic friends hotline!
Old 05-13-2004, 11:15 AM
bgruenba

ORIGINAL: Varmintmaster

The plane is just awesome, not only will it do more than my Funtana with a Saito 72 but just last weekend I was racing around with a 13x4w APC with 30% fuel and keeping up with some T34's with OS 46AX's setup for racing. The advantage I had over them was I could do a knife edge down the straight and still maintain the pace with them.....Some guys said it was rather embarassing having to do laps with a plane like that. I normally have a 14x4w APC but was just curious how it would do at faster speeds, embarassing for who is what I am wondering
Are you saying you normally run a 14x4W on the Twist? Reason I ask is a buddy of mine was having clearance problems with a 13x4W and I'd like to know what you did to avoid them.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:17 AM
bgruenba

ORIGINAL: ghee-grose

That's a good change! I like the stock graphics but it sucks when somebody else at the field has one that looks EXACTLY like it.[:@]
What sucks more is when you're both in the air at the same time and you lose track of who's flying who's plane!! [X(]
Old 05-13-2004, 01:13 PM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: bgruenba

What sucks more is when you're both in the air at the same time and you lose track of who's flying who's plane!! [X(]

LOL, that happens a lot at our indoor electric flying sessions in the wintertime.
Old 05-13-2004, 05:14 PM
Varmintmaster

I had no problems with the 13x4w APC with stock gear but did have to change gear heigth for the 14" prop.
Old 05-18-2004, 06:09 AM
O.S. Master
Banned

Hi I am going to pick up a Twist at my LHS for only $89 bucks, now that is a fair deal!!!

I am also going to run S3004's and an O.S. .46 FX or AX., maybe even a .50SX or a .61 FX. LOL !!!!!!!!

I was wondering if there is a spinner already in the kit? If not should I buy an aluminum one?

Thanks!!!
Old 05-20-2004, 11:10 AM
Cornduster04

Did we lose the Hype??? No updates lately.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:14 AM
ghee-grose

No hype loss here, just haven't had much flying in lately due to busy schedule and wet weather. Hopefully I fly a few hours this weekend. I'm taking tomorrow off and it looks like great weather, Saturday looks great too (just HOT [:@])
Old 05-20-2004, 11:24 AM
ghee-grose

Here's some pics a chunked together of "in flight".
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43219.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	134310  
Old 05-20-2004, 08:24 PM
bgruenba

Well I just got back from the field and I am in love!!! This little plane is awesome. I had my Ultra Stick, Funtana and Twist down at the field. The wind was blowing about 15 mph gusting to 20 and I flew all 3 planes.

The one that handled the wind the best was the Twist.

I was trying to loop and just couldn't do it because the headwind was so strong that although the plane went over the top of the loop, the wind had blown it so far back from where it entered the loop that the plane wasn't in the same circle any more!!! That said, this plane performed like a dream and I had several terrifc landings in some pretty tough wind.

The Ultra Stick was okay, but I think the 11x6 prop that I have on it made it difficult to land slowly.

The Funtana was no fun in the wind. First time I have tried to fly it in wind like this and I decided today that I will not be flying the Funtana in that kind of weather again.

The Twist has definitely become my everyday plane of choice. Great little airplane. Lots of fun.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:10 PM
glowplug

Bruce,
I also have an Ultra Stick and a Funtana....both great planes.....and I'm thinking about purchasing the Twist....since you have all three, can you tell me how you think the Twist stacks up agains the other 2? (I love flying both the stick & Funtana).

Mike
Old 05-21-2004, 07:23 AM
bgruenba

ORIGINAL: glowplug

Bruce,
I also have an Ultra Stick and a Funtana....both great planes.....and I'm thinking about purchasing the Twist....since you have all three, can you tell me how you think the Twist stacks up agains the other 2? (I love flying both the stick & Funtana).

Mike
Mike,

They're 3 very different planes.

The Funtana is still the 3D plane of choice, but it's also the one that I least want to crash. So I've gotten to the point now where the Funtana will only fly on nice days with maneuvers that I am completely comfortable doing on the Twist. For the most part you can do anything with the Funtana that you can do with the Twist, but because its bigger and more expensive, I kind of feel like I'm not so willing to crash this baby

I bought the Ultra Stick as a second plane. I wanted to learn to fly a tail-dragger and I wanted to get away from my trainer and move towards low-wing planes. I also wanted a plane that was capable of good aerobatics. The Ultra Stick is an awesome flyer and a lot of fun, but I have propped it the same as my trainer and I think it could fly a whole lot better if I sort that out. It's setup for crow and all that kind of stuff so it does do some pretty cool aerobatic stuff, but I don't consider it a 3D plane or a fun fly. We have a competition at our club that I use this plane for.

The Twist is a combination of the two. It's a nice flying plane - great as a second plane. Excellent performance, easy to land, easy to fly, stands up well in the wind, and very responsive. Its too early to say how good it is at 3D as I am still breaking in the 50SX, but one of the other guys at the field has one and he is ecstatic about it. It's also a throw away plane. If I crash it, I spend another $99 and I'm back in business. This plane will probably replace my Ultra Stick as the competition plane. The other thing about this plane is I can put it in the back seat of my car and take it with me to work without taking the kitchen sink with to go flying.

So, Mike, I would say that it is not really fair to compare the Twist to the others because it is different to them in terms of its purpose. Were I starting from scratch, I'd buy the Twist first and possibly instead of the Ultra Stick. I'm not sorry I have any of them, though. The Twist is definitely a good plane to learn to 3D with and I guess that's what I really bought it for.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-21-2004, 08:58 AM
glowplug

Thanks Bruce, that does help. I pretty much feel the same way about my Funtana.....and I'm not completely happy with my Phoenix Fun Star...so I'm thinking the Twist will replace that plane.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:21 AM
bgruenba

Thanks Bruce, that does help. I pretty much feel the same way about my Funtana.....and I'm not completely happy with my Phoenix Fun Star...so I'm thinking the Twist will replace that plane.
Mike,

Sounds like you need to run, not walk, to your local hobby store and get hold of one of these puppies as soon as possible. That Phoenix Fun Star should be advertised on RCU and you should take whatever you can in parts out of it for the Twist.

Word of advice... If you have the money lying around (yeah, right!! Who does?), put the OS 50SX engine into this plane. You won't be sorry. Also, run it with a 13x4W APC prop.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:47 AM
glowplug

Thanks Bruce
If (when) I get the Twist (it's only a matter of time now), I'll pull everything out of the Fun Star and try to sell it locally. I have a Perfect running TT Pro. 46 in the Funstar that I'll most likely use for the twist with an 12.25x3.75 APC prop. I'd like to get a new engine, but the Fun Star is only a month or so old.....and the Funtana is only a few months old....and then there's the Seagull Extra I bought not that long ago.......the wife is starting to ask questions....[sm=eek.gif]
Old 05-21-2004, 09:50 AM
bgruenba

<snip>
the wife is starting to ask questions....[sm=eek.gif]
Hey... who cares... At least you're not messing around with other women... That's what I keep telling my wife
Old 05-21-2004, 10:12 AM
glowplug

True!! And it keeps me out of the bars.....usually.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:05 PM
catspaw

My dog stepped on my Twist!
I had the fuse on gear (haven't finished the plane yet) in my car to show some coworkers who have this plane too, and to try and figure out why he's having so much trouble getting the throttle hooked up on his saito .72 vs my .65.
I happened to be going to the hobby shop, and decided to take the dog along for the ride, forgetting the plane was in the car. Well, he stepped on the stab and cracked it in 2 places. My trip to the HS to get a prop and some spinner adaptors suddenly added a couple rolls of yellow and purple covering for the patching I knew I'd need.

Oh yeah, turns out that my coworkers .72 has a "straight" pipe between the carb and engine head, while my .65 has a bend in it that allows better throttle arm positioning on my .65 than his .72.

John
Old 05-21-2004, 12:49 PM
ghee-grose

I flew my Twist for a few hours today. Had a freaking blast!!!! I'm flying a V-Max .46 BB engine with an APC 12.25x3.75 and it will hang on the prop for as long as my abilities can. There was also a pretty good breeze where I was flying, probably 10mph or so. It makes it hard to do good clean loops when there's a crosswind because the plane wants to weathervane too much. You really need headwind, then you get into what bgruenba was talking about with the warped loops.

It's unbelievable how this thing floats on the winds on approach. It's almost like landing a sailplane!
Old 05-21-2004, 12:51 PM
twist

Is anyone running a os 46fx with a tuned pipe in one of these?
Old 05-21-2004, 01:37 PM
rfaria

Here are a few pictures of mine.
Sure does fly good with Sato .72.
Going to try 14X4W tomorow with larger wheels for prop clearence.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55705.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	134687   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16093.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	134688   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40498.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	134689   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zs51262.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	134690  
Old 05-24-2004, 08:02 AM
ghee-grose

What's Up???? Everybody crashed their planes or what???[] Let's keep the updates coming!! Ya'll still liking this plane? I know I am!

I flew a couple times Saturday but had to cut short due to low receiver battery (that I forgot to charge after flying Friday). Another guy at our field had his Twist out Saturday for the maiden. It flew great...I think he likes it alot! He was soooo anxious to fly it, he didn't even take time to put the canopy on! He had to get it in the air A.S.A.P. That makes 3 Twists that fly at our field!
Old 05-24-2004, 01:31 PM
catspaw

Call me a slow builder (I know I am!), but all I have to do is balance the plane, secure the Rx and battery, set the control throws and throttle, and I'm ready! Should be flying this weekend if the weather cooperates.
John

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.