Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Magic Advisory(Maybe ARFs in general!)

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Magic Advisory(Maybe ARFs in general!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2002, 11:12 AM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magic Advisory(Maybe ARFs in general!)

Since I don't have a Magic this is not a complaint in any form only an observation. I have seen two Magics with landing gear that broke at the weld where the two pieces of wire are welded. The wire broke when the owner was trying to straighten out a bend. I had the same thing happen on my Blue Max. I believe that the welding makes the metal brittle and the first good bend will break it near the end of the weld. Appears that black metal the ARF manufacturers use for gear isn't as good an alloy as we use in our music wire. If you try to straighten it, use a vise or something to support the area and take the strain off the weld.
Old 06-24-2002, 01:13 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

The landing gear system as-supplied with the Blue Max just plain sucks. The wire they use is very brittle, and the wire wheels have no shock-absorbing qualities at all.

When I received my kit the one of the gear legs was already broken... just a bit of forshadowing there. Global sent me two as replacements, and neither one lasted more than one flight session.

I finally ditched he gear and wheels for a set of aluminum gear and 3" foam wheels. It doesn't look as quirky as the old gear did but it sure has been a lot more durable.
Old 06-24-2002, 03:50 PM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

The axle on my Blue Max broke on about the third landing. They replaced it, and I haven't had any trouble since. Probably just lucky since I haven't changed the way I land. Maybe a different welder was on duty the day the second set was made. The spokes finally broke out of one wheel, but that was my fault. I cut too hard to miss the weeds on a landing and bent the wheel. You only get about two or three bends and the solder lets go on the spokes. I bought some 4-3/8inch antique wheels from Tower and painted them so the rotation would show. Still not much give in the gear, but the looks have been preserved somewhat and a little weight saved. The airplane is so much fun to fly with a Saito 56 that I can overlook the gear situation. It is really a big, maneuverable trainer with hard gear. :-) Flies about as well inverted as it does normally. Looks funny with the gear stuck up on top.
Old 06-24-2002, 05:36 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

I have a TT .54 on mine. I agree - its a big, relaxing flyer. Fuel economy with this engine is phenomenal - with the stock tank (10 oz.?) and a 12x6 prop the engine will run at 3/4 throttle for well over 20 minutes!

One other thing that's nice about the new gear/wheel setup I'm using is that it quiets the plane while its on the ground. This is nice - with the stock gear and wheels it sounded like a tin junkwagon