Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

VMAR CHIPMUNK

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

VMAR CHIPMUNK

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 08:51 PM
flipstart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VMAR CHIPMUNK

Friend of mine had a VMAR Chipmunk Arf shipped to me so we could put it together in my shop. When I opened the box and inspected the parts, one wing aileron was so warped, the warpage exceeded the total max control movement. The elevator was warped in an elipical shape. The plane would have been a disaster to fly. The covering was some kind of wall paper, red was actually a dark pink. Hardware we do not even want to discuss.

I have built a number of ARFS and accept that some minor changes, inspections, extra CA and Epoxy, ironing down the covering and etc is part of building process, but this one was a mess.

To top it off, when my friend called VMAR, their response was, if you do not like the plane, send it back, they would not offer to replace parts or do anything to resolve the problem, so he was out the freight and still has not gotten credit for the returned merchandise.

So fellow RCU RCers, I have never bashed an ARF manufacturer before, but please be cautious of the VMAR Planes, in particular the Chipmunk. Of course there is the scant chance that I "got the only one like that". Flipstart

PS: Meant to mention-just received a Sea Gull Spacewalker II from Horizon and it looks great-all surfaces are straight, good covering job, and even the hardware is usable.
Old 05-14-2004, 06:24 AM
Vortec

Default RE: VMAR CHIPMUNK

A guy at our feild has had two Vmar planes and both have crashed...He's not the best pilot but he should of still been able to fly em with ez,but that were both second hand and heavy and under powered.Plane 1 was a VR 4 or somthing and it crashed 3rd flight, the 2nd was a roulet and it crashed first flight..He got them cheap so he didnt care but on saying that ive seen a Vmar edge with a os50 fly and was a very nice flyer but the covering was a bit on the sad side.
Old 05-14-2004, 07:58 AM
IronCross

And it gets worse when they sit in the sun.. I had a rudder warp bad while sitting there.. And the covering will quickly make a prune look smooth and
almost impossible to ret the wrinkles out of that wall paper..
Old 05-14-2004, 12:44 PM
Backwing
My Feedback: (3)

Kinda goes agains the "glowing" reviews I've seen in the past couple RC mags about VMAR planes.
More proof of what the mag reviews are really worth.
Old 05-14-2004, 02:23 PM
jcflysrc
My Feedback: (50)

ALL the reviews I have seen ALL read the same. Usually a bunch of crap! This IS the place to get your info. Of course, some of what you read here is crap too. But when you read the same thing over and over...it probably is good info. THANKS RCU! Thanks RCU members!

On VMARS behalf, I have seen a few of em fly, and the one's I've seen flew ok. I'm sure though just like any other brand, you get good ones and you get bad ones. The covering is less than desirable, TRUE. I don't think I would ever buy one, but they are affordable. You get what you pay for I geuss.