Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

!??!!?At A Delema!?!??!!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

!??!!?At A Delema!?!??!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2004, 12:48 PM
skate5290

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !??!!?At A Delema!?!??!!

i just flew solo ysterday on my superstar 40 i mastered this plane and it is boring i am looking for a second plane and i have run in to a problem. the ultra stick 40?? or the funtana 40?? i do not know anything about aerobatics right now but i want to i was just wondering which plane would be the better choice..

thanx
Old 07-04-2004, 02:05 PM
jsn
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: !??!!?At A Delema!?!??!!

stay bored for a bit longer... you just soled, practice with your trainer until you just can't be any more PERFECT in the way you fly it. Practice setting it down EXACTLY where you want it, practice simple things like emmelmens, stall turns, cuban 8's,flat turns,loops(BIG straight loops) and so on. your plane my not like being inverted but it will fly inverted practice inverted flight... if your good with a high wing lot's of dihedral trainer fighting you every step of the way a aerobat will seem easy. once you think your just about there convert that sucker to tail dragger! then do your practicing over again my point here is many people don't realize just how much you can do with a trainer and have fun doing it... after around 9 years in the hobby I still enjoy flying an old high wing trainer... with about 25 mph winds it's a BLAST!!!

If you must get a new plane and your only choices are the stick or funtana get the stick... the funtana fly's great but it WILL get you in trouble in a hurry if your still new to flying.

John
Old 07-04-2004, 02:58 PM
fiveoboy01
My Feedback: (3)

I agree. If you just soloed, you should probably stick with the trainer for a bit longer. If you just soloed, you haven't mastered it yet.

The Ultra Stick would be a better choice for a 2nd plane - it can fly as docile as a trainer but is capable of much more if you want.
Old 07-04-2004, 06:57 PM
britbrat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Superstar has a surprising amount of potential if you are "handy" & have a bit of time. I turned two of them into hot rods & it was a fun & rewarding project.

Meanwhile, an easy cure for boredom is to fit an OS FX .46 or TT.46 Pro into the Superstar, then crank up the throws -- you wont be bored anymore even without doing anything else.

My full-tilt Superstars are serious fun. I removed the dihedral from the wings, converted to bolt-on, installed dual aileron servos & dropped the wings 3/4" into the fuselage. I installed a TT.46 Pro sidewinder & fitted it with a with Tower Hobbies tuned muffler. The fuselage has been rounded & cleaned up forward of the wing/landing-gear line & the nose enclosed with a smooth cowling & a 2 1/2" spinner. The landing gear is now taildragger & the landing legs faired to reduce drag. To correct the C-of-G, the battery is installed under an access hatch behind the wing -- no lead needed to balance. The throws have been cranked up to the max.

Both of these planes will exceed 75 mph in level flight, have unlimited vertical, can snap, spin, knife-edge, outside loop, etc, etc. One is on floats & is still a hot performer despit the extra weight & drag. It was also pretty much free!
Old 07-04-2004, 08:40 PM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I flew my trainer for only 2 flights and I sold it. Hehehe ... I got bored but then I used to fly a long time ago. Best to stay with your trainer to refine your flying skills (landings and basic acrobatics). My advice for a first low wing would be togo for a decent cheap plane, there will be less worries. I flew the Phoenix Scanner and trust me its a great low wing trainer, cheap - flies nice - comes in great on dead stick. If you have good supervision then try the WM Supersport. That is a good low wing plane and does acrobatics really nice.
Old 07-05-2004, 06:24 AM
locolobot

For your second plane try the Tower Hobbies Voyager. It is an easy flyer, low wing trainer with tricycle gear and is the next step up from your basic trainer. You won't be sorry. Reasonably priced also.
Old 07-05-2004, 07:57 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure you can do everything on that trainer before moving on. It will save you from crashing the 2nd one. I had my trainer doing knife edges, hovering, and all sorts of other crazy things a trainer is not supposed to do when one of the more senior guys said it was time for me to move on to a more advanced plane. That's when you go to your 2nd plane.
Old 07-05-2004, 11:10 AM
MerlinL14

I agree with JoeAirPort, although I take up other planes it's my trainer that gets FLOWN. If I can master basic areobatics with my high wing then when I transition to doing it with a low wing it will be instincive (I hope).
Old 07-05-2004, 12:12 PM
P-40LUVR

Try this...get a CAP 232 60 sixty size or better and practice deadstick landings with a 1O knot crosswind...you won't be bored!
Or some nice tight snaps and flat spins... Probably won't go home with you're plane the way you brought it..but I bet you were not bored!Just kidding.... I would stay bored a while longer because it REALLY gets boring shelling out 200-300 dollars for planes.
Take care,Fly safe!