Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

VMAR 's Giant "Beaver"

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

VMAR 's Giant "Beaver"

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 08:27 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default VMAR 's Giant "Beaver"

Anybody know anything about this plane? A Giant Beaver has been on my list but can't seemed to find a decent one. The Vmar pictures are horrible, color is not much better and it looks like a coffee can for a cowl?
Old 08-12-2004, 08:48 PM
IronCross

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: VMAR 's Giant "Beaver"

One of the guys at the field had one... Typical Vmar.. He replaced the firewall with real plywood, had to build a new wing tube, the one supplied was so loose it was unuseable.. They tried to balance it at the field with one guy on each wing tip. The wings flexed so bad when the picked it up they could not really balance it... They did finally get up the nerve to fly it one time and it held together... It seemed to be very unresponsive in the air... There were several other issues with it as I recall... Last I heard it was going to be a one flight plane.. They found something better for the gas engine...
Old 08-12-2004, 08:51 PM
Cyclic Hardover

So much for that idea- I kind of expected it. Thanks.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:54 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

KMP has a nice one coming. That one may fill your bill.

Jim
Old 08-13-2004, 05:28 PM
Cyclic Hardover

I saw that one but its not very big and any size gasser would be pushing it. Besides it has floats right now and he will be going to struts but not scale landing gear so its a thumbs down for me

The market is flooded with cubs. I am just sick of seeing so many of them. Now DP has one. We need a variety of larger high wing planes. How about a nice big Beaver or Cessna (not H-9 either but bigger)
Old 08-13-2004, 10:55 PM
akflyer
My Feedback: (7)

Do a search for the Vmar Beaver. I put one together for a guy at our club. After I let it set in the corner for 2 years cause I thought it was such a POS I finaly got around to doing it. First off, I used everything they sent including the POS hardware, tank and firewall. Power is a US 35 and 18X6 prop. I was expecting it to fold the wing in the air, but it has help up OK. I do think that if you were to let it get out of shape, then tried to yank it back into line, you will probably fold the wings. As far as looks, from 50' it looks like a beaver, but up close......... LLS (looks like sh*^). As far as flying, it is VERY scale. I put one flight on wheels then switched to sig floats. It flys great on floats and has more than enough power with the 35. Most flying is about 1/4 throttle. If you were to get one, knowing that you would strip the shelf paper, sticky back covering and do alot of structural mods, then it is an OK plane, but I dont think it will hold up to everyday flying "out of the box".

As far as the above post, that it seemed slugish in the air, I guess you have never flown a real one...... It is no hot rod and is not real responsive, just kinda cruises along at 95-100.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58350.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	163569  
Old 08-14-2004, 08:35 AM
IronCross

Flown a real one ?... I am sad to say I have never even seen a real one.. Always though they had some nice lines though... It is funny, all these Cub's etc around and no Beaver's... Wouldn't think they would fly that much worse then a Cub...
Old 08-14-2004, 10:30 AM
akflyer
My Feedback: (7)

A Cub flys great, but makes you keep your feet awake. The beaver is much more docile than the cub. The controls are very light, but you have to move the yoke a long way to get good responce.

The Vmar flys much the same, you have to cordinate your turns and it is a little sluggish.
Old 08-14-2004, 03:13 PM
Bud Faulkner
My Feedback: (1)

Coastline out of Canada used to make one, not sure what happened to them but he's somehow tied in with Sea Commander floats...you might contact them and ask, I wanted one also but waited too long. Think the span was in the 140" range.

Bud
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53689.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	163777   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40011.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	163778  
Old 08-19-2004, 12:10 AM
jeffEE
My Feedback: (5)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER buy a VMAR. It is going to hurt someone. CRAP wood. CRAP covering. CRAP building. NEVER NEVER NEVER
Old 08-19-2004, 12:31 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hahahaaaa ... most frustrated customer.
Old 08-19-2004, 04:37 AM
apalsson
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: jeffEE

NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER buy a VMAR. It is going to hurt someone. CRAP wood. CRAP covering. CRAP building. NEVER NEVER NEVER
Do I take it you don't like'm?
Old 08-19-2004, 05:46 AM
tank tiger
My Feedback: (75)

anybody have take a looking at inside ;what is kind of wood Vmar used ?
Old 08-19-2004, 07:28 AM
MormonMike
My Feedback: (2)

Yes, not quite sure where in the jungle they found the wood to put it together. its pretty bad stuff however, if your willing to do extensive modifying, [and the key word is modifying] its not too bad of a plane. [Their Van RV-4 ] Others have really shot this ARF down but to be honest with you, I have not had any problems with it [after putting in an extra 15 hours] Take it for what its worth, the guys are correct,its not the best workmanship/quality. MM.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:32 AM
IronCross

I still have to wonder.. For those people that think Vmar is great what the heck did you fly before the Vmar ?... It must have been really bad...
As for the wood, the consensus seems to be it is some kind of cotton wood... I think they could rename it "warp" wood or something.. I could almost
watch it warp as it sat in the Sun between flights apparently drying out..
Old 08-19-2004, 08:38 AM
tank tiger
My Feedback: (75)

last week one guy of my field have been crash pilatu from Vmar ..they took off covering take a look at inside
one piece of a rib build by balsa ---another of a rib build by diff some kind of wood not from balsa
Old 08-19-2004, 10:51 AM
Shadow-RCU

I own and fly a VMAR Beaver on a fairly regular basis. I agree that whatever kind of covering and wood used on the plane is crap. I am pulling the covering off because I am tired of flying a wrinkled plane and I want to try a military scheme and I found the wood to be something other than balsa. There is no wing tube. The wing is held together by two spars that slide into slots and two bolts that hold the halves together. It must be flown with the struts attached. Because of the long skinny wing you can't pick it up by the wing tips to balance it. I had a Bud Nosen Citabria that was the same way.

The plane flys great if you know how to fly it. It will not roll with ailerons only. Like a lot of high wing planes you must use rudder to get the plane to roll. I have a computer radio and use the mixing on it to take care of this. It will loop and roll, but its real forte is doing touch and gos. With the flaps hanging way down it will slow to a walk and stop within its own length when it touches down. The plane will balloon when the flaps are used so I mix in down elevator.

I would never buy a new VMAR product after having this plane. I bought this plane used because I wanted something to put an OS twin in that would be completely enclose the engine. The previous owner flew the plane on a Enya 120 four stroke and he said it had enough power to fly it. It is definitely not designed for a gas engine. To much weight and too much power.

It definitely draws a crowd at IMAA or warbird Events because it is unique. Who else would buy and fly a VMAR product? Its the kind of plane that is best bought for cheap at a swap meet.

Just trying to clear up what I believe to be some misinformation and provide my opinion of the plane.

Randy