Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

GSP Corsair Flap Link-up...HELP please!!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

GSP Corsair Flap Link-up...HELP please!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 01:30 PM
Pete850

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GSP Corsair Flap Link-up...HELP please!!

Hi Guys,

I'm assembling a GSP Corsair and am in a bit of a dilema regarding the 3-flap linkage. The wing centre section is fibreglass and has the two inner flaps on, the outer one is in the wing tip section.

The kit comes with a single servo operated Bowden (twisted wire) cable which exits the underside of the wing centre section and operates the inboard flap. The idea then is that the other two flaps are connected by another Bowden cable threaded through them spanwise. I've had a dry run at this and just cannot see it working.

For a start, the cable operating the other two flaps just isn't stiff enough.

I think I'm going to use two separate servos anyway, but my question is:

Should I use the servo to operate the centre flap and link (somehow) the ones either side? This just seems more logical to me than trying to operate through two linked flaps.

Anyone got any bright ideas how to link the flaps positively? Pins/sleeves?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Pete
Old 08-14-2004, 08:32 PM
blacvet
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: GSP Corsair Flap Link-up...HELP please!!

Hi Pete,
Go to Product Guide on the heading above ,then click on airplanes,then reviews ,then on the search filters enter airplanes,next reviews,next 2 yrs,then enter giant scale air planes.You will get a detail build and review of the Corsair.I stripped the wre out leading to the flaps and installed 2 servos hitec 225 mgs like he suggested but futaba s148 would be ok.Both servo arms should go thesame side both right or left.They work with authority.I also put the robart retracts in ,what a pain>I havent flown this plane yet and am axious to..This is really abeautiful airplane.I hope this review will assist you.Good luck
Carl
Old 08-17-2004, 02:17 AM
Pete850

Hi Carl,

Thanks for the advice. Did you attach the servos to the in-board flaps or the centre ones?

I see that you settled on the Robarts then. I'm still debating what to use and will probably order a set of Unitracts as they are made here in the UK not too far from me if I get any problems. I was just concerned about everyone slagging off the Robarts and would be interested in how yours perform.

What motor/prop are you using? I have a 1.60 MVVS with Bisson silencer and an 18x6 prop. Should be more than enough. I have the Flair/GSP Spitfire, which tips the scales at 12.5 lbs and has an ASP 1.20 4-str (15x8), but I don't think that motor will be man enough for the Corsair as the Spit certainly isn't overpowered, but does fly very scale like.

Pete
Old 08-17-2004, 05:20 PM
blacvet

nd what type of landing gear your going to use.Nice talking to you
Carl
Old 08-17-2004, 05:42 PM
blacvet

Hi Pete,
Dont know what happened to my paragraphs but here goes again,I used the inner flaps toward the outer end of the flap,and used a os 160 fx with a biisson muffler and a 18x6 prop.similar to what you did.This is my first installation of retracts and I am taking my time with the installation.I won't be flying the Corsair soon cause I have other planes ready to go.The Corsair is such a beautiful plane I couldn't wait to build it
I also have and just begun building the Flair/GSP Spitfire,another beauty of a plane.I was going to put a Magnum 91 into the Spit,but since you say a 120 4stroke isn't overpowering I will change over.Did you put the decals on that came with the Corsair?If not Tower Hobbies has the same size decals with a darker bkue background behind the star and its looks cool.Let me know how you make out with your landing gear.flaps and your maiden.
Nice talking to you
Carl
Old 08-18-2004, 04:54 AM
Pete850

Hi Carl,

Funny you should say about the Corsair Decals - I'm looking for some darker background ones myself as I too think they are far too light.

I'd be very interested in your thoughts on the Spit when it's flying. It is a beautiful bird and flies great - but I find the landings a bit tricky. Although I guess it's just me not having enough warbird experience yet. You need plenty of expo on the elevator as its very responsive.

Pete
Old 08-18-2004, 11:59 PM
jeffEE
My Feedback: (5)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have put 5 flights on my GSP corsair in the las 2 weeks. What a joy to fly. Just like all Corsairs, it is real touchy in the elevator, but expo fixed that. It is a great landing plane. It slows down well and has not shown any tend to tip stall. I have Robart retracts in it and they are doing fine. It has a Saito 150 FS up front and flies scale at about 1/2 throt. The wings are not true scale in size or shape. But what it lacks in scale looks it MORE than makes up for in flying grace. Gear up low passes are a real WOW.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:01 AM
jeffEE

forgot to say that the flaps are set up with their own servo each. But the flap linkage is just as the instruction book said. So far, no problems, but then, I have only droped them once. It really does not need them. It lands very smooth.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:20 AM
Pete850

Hi JeffEE,

I'd be really interested to see a close-up photo of your Corsair flaps deployed to see how the bowden cable pulls down the outboard flap. I've had a dry run with mine and just can't see how the cable is stiff enough to operate the outer flap.

It's encouraging to hear that it flies (and lands) well though.

Pete
Old 08-19-2004, 06:20 PM
jeffEE

well. I have just this pic of the flaps. I wish it were closer. The inner flap that attaches to the servo moves a bit farther than the outer ones. But in the air you just can't tell. Hope this helps. Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35284.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	165625  
Old 08-19-2004, 08:56 PM
blacvet

Pete,
Go to tower search search box upper left main menu and enter LYZ821 and click,this is the decal I used,looks terrific.I been trying to post apicture of corsair for the past hour no luck.I 'll get it soon I think
Carl
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40759.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	165674  
Old 08-19-2004, 09:00 PM
blacvet

Pete
The number is LXZ821 sorry
Old 08-20-2004, 03:28 AM
Pete850

Hi guys,

Thanks for the photos:

Jeff - Your flaps look OK to me, but I might just try and find something a bit stiffer for my own piece of mind, maybe a piece of solid wire glued into the centre flap with some plastic "snake" tube in the outer & inner flaps. I'd still like to attach the servo to the centre one if possible.

Carl - Decals look great so I've ordered some from Tower Hobbies today. I may be able to get them here in the UK but it could take me weeks to find them.

This site never ceases to amaze me - Carl is in New York, Jeff is in North Las Vegas and I'm here in a rather wet UK, all discussing the fine detail of my plane (with photos of yours)!! This is what I love about this hobby - whatever the problem, your never alone with it. Thanks guys.

Let me know how your Corsair maiden goes, and if you need any advice on the Spit let me know.

Pete