Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

BEWARE OF PHOENIX MODELS!

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

BEWARE OF PHOENIX MODELS!

Old 08-16-2004, 04:08 PM
P-40LUVR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BEWARE OF PHOENIX MODELS!

I have a Phoenix Funstar 3d airplane and it was a very nice flyer and a lot of fun!
With that said,if you buy a Phoenix model and you crash it..you better be a good builder because they will not sell spare parts for ANY of their planes!
I needed a wing which Tower (the people that sold it to me) informed that "they do not have parts call this company in California"
Called them,they do not even sell the plane,they refered me to Great Planes..yes they sell them but NO spare parts and no Website for Phoenix to get any.[:@]
Im not a person to repair for hours on end so.. I guess I won't be buying any Phoenix models![]
Old 08-16-2004, 09:48 PM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: BEWARE OF PHOENIX MODELS!

Don't want to sound like a smart **s, but if you have ever priced ARF wing replacements you will see that they are not real cheap. The Funstar is a $110 Airplane which is just slightly higher than what alot of ARF replacement wings cost. Take for example; I have an old Tower Trainer ARF. The Plane alone is $75. The replacement ARF wing for it is $60. Now how many suckers do you suppose bite at that? Not this one! I would just buy the whole dang Plane agian if I liked it that much! I also have several other Planes, and its the same thing. I am sure Phoenix cuts alot of corners, and keeps overhead as low as possible to keep there prices the way they are, but all in all I think they put out a pretty fine Plane. Some manufactures send out junk ARF's to keep the prices low. Its nice to see that Phoenix has found a way to put out a very inexpensive Plane without jeprodizing quallity. So you suffer a tad if you crash it and can't get a certain replacement part in ARF form. Now would be the time to freshin up those building skills! I have only crashed one Plane that was beyond repairing. The others which I won't tell how many have all been fixable even though they appeared in pretty bad shape when I went to fetch. Anyhow before I get to long winded, my main thought is that I wouldn't boycott Phoenix over this. Anything that is way cheaper than everything else or Free always has a catch. Just be happy that you got a good quallity ARF for $110. Feel bad for the ones that spent $300-$3000 and are unhappy as the devil. My brother has the Phoenix Sukoi, and I am about ready to buy the Phoenix Giles 202. $115 at Tower right now. How can you beat a deal like that even though they don't make replacement wings?
Old 08-16-2004, 10:01 PM
ooooo

I think Phoenix Models has gone out of business...(not really sure) There are not many more of those models around. Their first set of planes had crappy balsa but they still flew great. Then the workmanship and material became excellent...couldn't believe how nice those planes looked and flew. I put in my Phoenix Cap 232 and had to rebuild the firewall, part of the fuse and part of the wing. Redid the Cowl......and she still flew so well. These models are awesome.
I'd buy them anyday without thinking.
Since they are not available here in Canada anymore....I'm now buying World Models. I just bought the Velox REV II - 60 ...Nice plane, built very light...but nothing compared to Phoenix Models.
Rebuild your wing man...try your hand, it's easy and you will amaze yourself. You will feel so accomplished when you are finished and see the plane fly once again.

Cheers.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:09 PM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

ORIGINAL: Kaz

I think Phoenix Models has gone out of business...(not really sure) There are not many more of those models around.

Since they are not available here in Canada anymore....I'm now buying World Models.

Cheers.
Just wanted to let you know that Phoenix has not gone out of business, and to also let you know that www.TowerHobbies.com carries the Phoenix line of ARF's, and that they will ship to the U.S or Canada. Have a great day!
Old 08-17-2004, 07:01 AM
FlyerBry
My Feedback: (8)

I had the Phoenix Giles 202 and I agree the wood used in the plane was poorly chosen. My particular model was so tail heavy I had to mount the battery under the cowl to get it to balance out at the rear end of the recommended range. Just picking up the wing by itself felt heavy! I will say, though, that the craftsmanship of these planes for the price is very good. The covering was of good quality and well applied. The cowl, canopy and pilot bust all added to the quality look of the plane. The hardware was definitely an area where there could be some improvement. Most of it is usable but just not up to the quality standards of other ARF manufacturers out there.

I guess it comes down to you get what you pay for. For the price I consider the Giles a great flying sport plane. It isn't up to the standards of competing models mostly because of weight. The wing and fuse are fully sheeted on the Giles which add to its great finish. Many competitors don't sheet their planes in favor of keeping the weight down which as we all know - lighter flys better.

If you are interested in theses planes just don't expect to get a plane that is as agile as competitors planes that weigh a pound less. Also, if you are the least bit picky about your hardware, expect to go out and spend more on putting quality hardware into the plane to meet your standards. Unfortunately, replacing the hardware doesn't help much in the weight area.

In the end I can't say I will buy another one. The price is great and they are beautiful planes but the overall package just didn't make me fall in love with the plane. Personally, I'd prefer trying something else if I decide to replace it.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:46 AM
rockmon

I have to agree with ckangaroo70 on this one I don't have any Phoenix models but I purchased a new set of wings for one of my S.E's and didn't bother to ask what they cost well when they came in they were over 50 bucks and the se kit was only $69.00 but I didn't go blasting some warning message because of it. Anyone have a set of wings for a global ultimate? I hate to think what that would cost and I'm sure it would be almost as much as the arf was to begin with. If that is the way they keep the prices down so be it just buy another model and be done with it and you have a lot of extra parts. This kind of information does not warrent a thread title that starts with BEWARE OF there should actualy be a problem with the kit and not just a parts problem maybe it should be more like why doesn't Pheonix models stock spare parts instead of a warning like this.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:20 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

When I saw the title on thread, I thought there was a quality issue or something.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:04 PM
jcflysrc
My Feedback: (50)

There are SOME quality issues...but at the price (been said) you can't complain. If CHEAP is your deal, then Phoenix models are a good trade off. They fly pretty good too!

Jim C.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:42 PM
tIANci

I think we all should be aware of Kyosho planes too ... they do not sell spare wings .... sheeesh ... come on just because they do not sell spare wings means that we need to put up a thread warning people about it.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:01 AM
vern29

Well guys I am working on my Phoenix Models Giles 202 ARF - 46 but I have put the O.S. 50.SX in it and that is just about the same as the 46 fx in weight . the plane is heavy in the nose. I have the engine 4 and 1/4'' out from the fire wall and it should be 4 3/4. I have it at 2% pitch that points the engine to the left just a bit. they don't tell you any thing on how to put the eangine in and that sucks for a guy has only built one plane before. The plane wood is all good on this one no junk wood that i could see. if any one has any tips to help me on the proper way to install the engine PLEASE LET ME know. cutting the cowl out was not to bad I was putting it off and just got the nerve to start cutting on it well thank god I did not mess it up and it looks great.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:16 AM
IronCross

I just started working on a Pheonix Decathlon... I was impressed with the workmanship on this plane.. It appears to be quality wood and excellent construction... Also covered in Ultracote, nat that chinsy "China Cote" ... If it flys as good as it looks it is going to be a real winner... This plane appears much better built the the SeaGull Decathlon and is 20 bucks less..

vern29
The manual on the Decathlon doesn't say anything about engine offset either.. I don't worry about it... Rather then trying to figure out if it is built in, how much etc I just mount the engine as they set it up and fly it.. Once in the air you can tell if you need a little right or down thrust... No big deal to put a shim in if necessary..

As for spare parts no big deal.. As above I would never buy a wing or fusalage etc anyway.. At these prices it makes more sense to just buy another plane if you like it...
Old 09-04-2005, 11:11 AM
P-40LUVR

This was an old post...parts are available now..like cowls..which I needed..I purchased the Giles 202 which I like very much!
Old 09-05-2005, 05:54 PM
cfossa
My Feedback: (5)

Hi Guys,

I've still got a Phoenix Sukhoi and Giles in the box waiting for a "bad day." I picked them up for less than $100 each when Tower was having a sale. If one of my other .40 sized models go in I'll have a quick replacement

Carl
Old 09-05-2005, 07:42 PM
SBR_RV

spares for ARF's = rip off
i had to pay $AU50 (around $US36) for a .46 size cowl from pacific aeromodels
Old 09-05-2005, 08:07 PM
vern29

$13 for the giles cowl at tower wings are $40 so that is not bad[X(]
Old 09-06-2005, 12:57 AM
vern29

My new plane
Old 09-06-2005, 01:02 AM
vern29

Old 09-07-2005, 06:26 PM
vern29

Hello just put some pic's of my Giles G-202 i just built. check it out. would like to see your Pheonix Decathlon your putting together. I had one of the old Pheonix Decathlons and crashed it lol it was the one befor they fixed the wings for lose of wind on take off lol mine went up 4 feet and dove in to the ground riping the engine and fire wall out. I just gave up on the plane and parted it out. But the Pheonix Decathlon is a cool plane and the next one I get will be the Pheonix Decathlon.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:01 PM
IronCross

Putting it together as we speak.. When finished I will post pictures.. Didn't realize they had one before this... I was suprised at the qulity of the ARF.. For the price I was expecting a lot less... Ultracote covering none the less I am currently flying the Seagull Decathlon... The Phionix seems much better built... The fuslage on the Seagull is real boxy and fragil.... Still trying to decide what engine to put in it... Have a Saito .56 and a .72 out of work at the moment.. It is supposed to be a 5 1/2 pound plane so the .56 should be about right I would think...
Old 09-08-2005, 07:38 AM
loupus

Hi Guy's,
I have to say that I think the Quality of the Phoenix planes I have had was excellent. I had a Dolphin low wing that I literally flew to death while learning, it took a lot of hard use and repaired reasonably well. I now have the Diablo, it it a fantastic plane, well built and flies beautifully, does just about every manouver you can throw at it without complaint and for the price feel it is a real winner.
Usually when I crash that's the end of the plane, spare parts don't help, LOL.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88243.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	321362  
Old 09-14-2005, 09:32 PM
Gimble Bender
My Feedback: (32)

I have a funstar with a Thunder tiger Pro .46 with a mousse can pipe on it and it flies awsome!! I love it.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:36 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

I just ordered a Funstar 3d and was wondering about the fuel tank placement. Is there enough space inside the fuselage to raise the tank for side mounting the engine? TIA

Ed, NM2K
Old 09-18-2005, 05:30 PM
Gimble Bender
My Feedback: (32)

Ed,
I got my Funstar in trade from one of my buddies that crashed my plane. That being said, I didn't install the engine but the way it's in there looks factory, It is inbetween inverted and laying on it's right side. About a 45 degree downward angle I guess. The head sricks out the right side of the cowling. It is made like this because it has a recess in the center of the fuselage behind the cowling for the muffler to go. I'm running an 8 Oz. tank in there now and there was a Hays 4 Oz. tank in it when I got it. I have had no problems with the engine running. I run a Pro .46 Thunder Tiger and it rips that plane around great! Hope this answers you question.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:07 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

You couldn't have answered it better. Thanks a million.

Ed Cregger
Old 09-19-2005, 09:45 PM
Kansas Twister
My Feedback: (1)

I have been very happy with my Phoenix ARF's; especially the Sukhoi SU-31. I also have the Giles G-202 and just sold my old Funstar to a buddy that had to have it; I enjoy precision flying and aerobatics more than the 3D stuff.

The Giles is a bit heavy for a .46FX; I may stick a Saito 72 in her at some point...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.