Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Vmar or World Models

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Vmar or World Models

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 05:49 PM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Vmar or World Models

The light blue Plane towards the bottom of my Plane Rack, and the yellow thing above that are both Vmars. The old Yellow thing is an old Vmar Stick 60 that has probally been around the world twice, and the Light Blue Plane is a Vmar Aero Subaru that flies great. I don't care much for the wood used on either Plane, and both Planes were shorted about 2 ounces of glue when they were put together, but right now, both these Planes are a ball to fly. Are they any better than World Models?...I have no idea cause I have never owned a World Models Plane. The funny thing is that I have gotten more compliments about the Vmar Aero Subaru from non R/C Fliers than any of the other Planes. I have had alot of fliers also compliment the Plane until you tell them what brand name it is, and then it is *%$*$&%^%^%%&$%^. Funny how people associate names. Its kinda like saying that, just cause you know a guy with the last name Smith that is an &SS, that all Smiths are &SSES. I judge each Plane individually, even though it may be true that the majority of Smiths are $SSES. No offense if your last name is Smith.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82241.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	184819   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43456.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	184820  
Old 10-20-2004, 06:15 PM
ckangaroo70

Now to answer the question that started this post. In my own opinion, and from my own experience I would recommend the Great Planes Super Sportster MKII ARF at under $150, or the Sig Four Star .40 ARF would be a good choice. A Great Planes or Hanger 9 ARF Stick Plane would be good, and if you decide to try a kit....the Sig Mid Star would be a good choice also. There are also some of the more Aerobatic Trainers like the Hobbico Avistar, or a Hangar 9 Arrow. Any of these Planes would be good second flyers and priced $150 and under.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:54 PM
Roll On 60

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only other ARF that is close to World Models is Great Planes. After putting together several of each, W.M. is #1 in my opinion.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:12 PM
twistr
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sig makes an excellent plane as well...
Old 10-25-2004, 08:46 PM
billswe

First time in the forums and not knowing how bad vmars reputation is my son and I ordered 1 yesterday. We ordered the Arrow Tiger,thinking it would be a step up from our sky raider mach 2. So should we stoke up the fireplace or has anyone had a good experiance with the Arrow Tger?
Old 10-25-2004, 09:36 PM
tychoc

Fly RC Magazine (December p.110) has a long review of the VMAR Arrow Tiger. They give it a good review, however, they also feature 2 page ads by VMAR in every issue

I have no experience with them, but most reviews here are a little bit negative. For the price though, I wouldn't start the fire just yet.

-tycho
Old 10-25-2004, 11:19 PM
quint-rcu
My Feedback: (24)

Add up the cost of radio gear, engine and field items and see what percentage $50 to $100 diference in an airplane will make even without counting the ability to match and repair...

quint
Old 10-26-2004, 06:05 AM
twistr

Bill: I recommend you cancel your order. REmember, you get what you pay for. Sure, it will fly, and it will even look very good at first, but on my stick, the covering eventually came loose with lots of wrinkles and it's hard to work with. Plus, the wood on the model is very soft so handle with care.

I called them yesterday about the motor I returned due to frozen throttle body. They said "Oh yeah, we got that engine, it will either go out back to you today, or it has already gone out". I asked them which is it, and did they fix it, their response: " I'll have to check the files on that". He could not and would not answer!

Plus I had to pay shipping to get it back to them (4 weeks ago!).

My brother's engine (the 52) threw a rod during break in. Yes he was using the proper fuel as recommended. He's yet to send his back, he's waiting to see if it's worth the shipping if they're even going to fix and send mine back.

I thought I was getting a good deal on an engine at 49$ for my 46. After I add my shipping costs in to send it back, I could have bought a Super Tigre G51 for a small 20$ more and saved myself lots of aggrivation.

Always remember (as I learnt the hard way), you get what you pay for...

I'm finished with RichmondRC!!!!
Old 10-26-2004, 08:24 AM
IronCross

I suspect those engines are worse then the planes.... A fellow club member bought one of those engines... On the first flight the rod broke... He called Richmond and was told by some lady it was all his fault... He must have done something wrong... There engines don't toss rods... He was told to send it back and they would see if it was covered by warrenty.. It would be a month or so before they had a replacement if it was... What a bunch of BS
Old 10-26-2004, 05:33 PM
twistr

Sounds very familiar. I'm just wondering how they stay in business. Must be all newbie business!
Old 10-28-2004, 05:40 AM
feral63

i have owned my fair share of vmars.
a stik,
a pc-9
a edge540
and basically you get what you pay for.
but when you are just starting out it's fair to say that once you get off a trainer you think your the best flyer around.(well i did) poor old pc-9 didn't stand a chance.
the stick i bought over 3 years ago and i can't kill it .this plane has had 2 mid air collisions, and my nephew putting a asp61 two stroke in it.
we don't fly it anymore but the plane is still ready to fly.
the edge is a flying brick.very heavy and not very well finished.but a good knock around plane.
i also have owned wm planes
worldstar 40 trainer
40 size mustang and a twin mustang
these are all very well built planes, but they also cost me a lot more money.
i can't vouch for vmar engines. never used one.
Old 10-28-2004, 07:37 AM
quint-rcu
My Feedback: (24)

feral63 stated:
these are all very well built planes, but they also cost me a lot more money.
Come on now, a lot more money? What do you consider 'a lot more' and are you available to count votes in the US elections so one candidate can state he won by a lot more vote than the other? Consider what was your total for equivalent all up models using each company and what percentage of that was the ARF cost? Come to think of it they would never be equivalent...

quint
Old 10-28-2004, 03:59 PM
feral63

all i was saying is that wm planes are nore expensive than vmar.
had nothing to do politics.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:24 PM
ratherbflyin

Neither!!
Old 11-02-2004, 09:07 PM
LUDS96
My Feedback: (23)

Thanks for the hanger shot! I thought i was out of control with Planes I guess I'm still ok. Keep flying
Old 11-18-2004, 03:17 PM
ckangaroo70

You are way O.K. That was only one side of the hangar. The other side looks just as bad. Just ask my very unhappy wife! She started counting, so I had to put a few planes up in the attic out of view, and reluctantly a few had to be sold to keep from sleeping on the couch!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16210.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	194170   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42612.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	194171   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty66340.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	20.0 KB