Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

jerrys big boy by morris hobbies

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

jerrys big boy by morris hobbies

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 10:16 AM
ICE 32 ICEMAN
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: jerrys big boy by morris hobbies

Sir Charles,
Not a problem! Glad you could pick up on one at a good price. Remember............. I got spare parts! Hope you don't need them! We are in the shop this morning constructing a set of quad flaps/ailerons to see how much more fun we can get out of JERRY'S BIG BOY. May as well be in the shop. We have 47 degrees with steady rain. Also sticking the equipment and motor in the new BALSA NOVA 120 ARF. Will start a thread on this in a few days. (Have sold a few of these, engine of choice seems to be Saito 150 or 180.) We've got one flying with the MVVS 160 gas and it seems to be pretty lively as well as cheap to run.
Happy Flying,
Terry
Old 02-01-2005, 10:32 AM
racsanone

I've got a saito 150 looking for a home. Anyone mounted a 150 on a big boy arf? Balance problems? I'm tossing around in my mind either the big boy or the stinger 120 which is supposedly heavier. What is everyones all up weight? Any suggestions would be great...
Old 02-01-2005, 02:09 PM
ICE 32 ICEMAN

Hi RAC,
Although we haven't had a 150 on a BIG BOY, I feel the airframe can take it. I would make sure you have some stout servos and make wise use of the throttle. We talked to a guy that had purchased one that was going to get a G-26 put on the front end and he said the only beef-up item he was going to do was to put a set of Dubro 4-40 tail brace wires on the back end. Balance shouldn't be a problem. My Saito 100 had a JR 1400 four cell pack wrapped in foam and stuffed in above the tank. Balances slightly nose down. If you have the engine sitting on the bench doing nothing, by all means bolt it on. If you have a 91 to 100 4-stroke you can fly safely at full throttle with no problem. We have kept our pitch to 6 inches on the 100 (15-6 APC) and I would suspect a 150 would probably be fine on a 16-6 or a 17-6 APC. The Jerry Smith video showed him flying with a Webra Speed 120 with a long tuned pipe on it. Call me here Morris Hobbies if you have any other questions. (800) 826 6054
Terry
Old 02-02-2005, 07:19 PM
SU29
My Feedback: (20)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ice 32, I'm curious about the 40 size version, what can you tell us about that one. I'm looking for a home for a YS 63 and thought this might be a good choice. Thanks

Jeff
Old 02-03-2005, 06:52 AM
JL636
My Feedback: (79)

I just got my "Big Boy" the other day and am going with a Magnum 91. Also got the video and it appears to be a ball to fly. The only thing than worries me is the pull-pull on the elevator and rudder. I've never really dealt with pull-pull and am worried about getting the proper tension on the cables. Any advice? Joe
Old 02-03-2005, 09:24 AM
ICE 32 ICEMAN

JL636,
I've had a Magnum 91 on another plane and I think you'll have a good time with it. Remember, It doesn't need gobs of power to have fun with this one! As for the pull- pull, a few things you need to be careful of: (1) Not getting the cables crossed up and rubbing each other (2) When you have the control horns mounted to each surface, measure the total distance from the outside holes in both horns. This distance is the same distance you should have on the servo arm that will control that particular surface with. If you use the middle holes on the control arms of the surface, then the total width should be the same on the servo arm, etc. (3)As far as the cable tension itself, make sure they are not so tight as to make the servo start buzzing. (stalling) You'll probably get some buzzing if you use one of the digital servos but they buzz a lot anyway. Just don't put a lot of pull on the output arm of the servo. Ya don't want to yank the servo out of the mounts! If pull-pull scares you........... Use carbon fiber or fiberglass arrow shafts with the Dave Brown inserts. I've used 4-40 wire on the rear in a "y" configuration and short 2-56 wire with a z-bend to attach to the servo arm. If you have a large or heavy motor mounted up front, you can make ply servo mounts in the tail of the fuse and counter the extra weight up front.
Terry
Old 02-03-2005, 10:27 AM
rccub
My Feedback: (184)

hi jl636, i have an o.s. 1.08fsr engine on mine. you stated in your thread that you also have the video. where did you get this video, and how do i get one. thanks.
charlie
Old 02-03-2005, 12:43 PM
ICE 32 ICEMAN

Hi SU29,
A little teeny problem on the 40 size BIG BOY.............. Call Robert @ Morris Hobbies (800) 826-6054 Let him explain all the in's and out's on this bird. He has some but there is some hitch I'm going to let him explain.
Terry
Old 02-03-2005, 12:45 PM
ICE 32 ICEMAN

Hi CUB,
I have them here at the shop. (800) 826-6054 (Videos) Ya gotta see Jerry Smith bend the sticks on this thing!
Terry
Old 02-03-2005, 04:24 PM
SU29

Thanks ICE32.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:33 PM
JL636
My Feedback: (79)

Thanks for the comeback Ice. I'd feel much better placing the servos in the tail which would make it easier for me to dial them in. Also the added weight back there would probably help counter the weight of the Magnum 91. Will have to check the tail area to see how much room I actually will have for servo placement.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:09 PM
ICE 32 ICEMAN

JL636,
I don't know what a Mag 91 weighs compared to a Saito 100 but I did have to shove my JR 1400 battery up over the tank to balance. (my servos were in the tray) Might be an idea to use some mid-sized servos in the tail. Just a thought
Terry
Old 02-05-2005, 11:23 PM
rccub

flew the big boy for the first time today. really dont know how to describe it. well here goes ya-hoo, yippee. yeehaw, man-o-man. well i guess you get the idea. this thing will take off in ten feet. no kidding. it will fly anywhere from around eighty miles an hour to about five miles an hour. it goes up- it goes down-it goes round and round. this has got to be the best flying plane around. mine has a o.s. 1.08 with all high torque high tech servos. if you want some real fun, get one. enough said.
charlie
Old 02-05-2005, 11:40 PM
IowaSilvia
My Feedback: (97)

SU29. Where do you fly in Springfield???
Old 02-08-2005, 12:52 AM
ICE 32 ICEMAN

Cub!
Did I tell ya you'd have a ball with old BIG BOY!!? Weirdest, best flying bird I've played with in a long time. Couldn't get to the office today. Will be there tomorrow until about 1 P.M. CDT Give me a buzz and we'll converse intelligently in BIG BOY! BTW......... Does your 108 have a pipe or muffler? Ought to hover like crazy. What prop?
Terry
Old 02-09-2005, 11:06 PM
rccub

hi ice, my 1.08 has a muffler on it. will give you a call soon. by the way, prop is a 16x6
Old 02-10-2005, 10:27 PM
rccub

hey ice, got the video today of jerry putting the big boy thru its paces. guys, you have got to see this. he is actually flying this plane in a parking lot. and not just flying around in circles, he is doing alot of manuvers and fun flying. you wont believe it even after you watch the video.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:15 AM
4 stroken ron
My Feedback: (29)

Alright then post the video.
Ron
Old 02-11-2005, 02:41 PM
rccub

video is too much to post here. call terry at morris hobbies and he will hook you up. his number is in an earlier post.

charlie
Old 02-13-2005, 10:12 PM
SU29

IS, I fly with the Hawks north of town by Fellows Lake. Have you been to this field? Where do you fly around Billings?
Old 02-17-2005, 02:04 PM
ICE 32 ICEMAN

Hey Cub,
Give me a call at the office. Got a new toy for the JBB you might want to look at.
Terry
Old 02-17-2005, 08:35 PM
raceskier

Hi guys, I'm a newbie to this forum. I'm also building a Big Boy. I have the Spoiler plans I got from Azarr a few years ago. (At least, I think I have them. Haven't been able to lay my hands on them since my last move.) I will build the fuse to those. I was going to go with an ST2300 until reading this discussion. Now I think I will start with the Magnum 91 FS as I had originally planned. rccub originally asked about servos. Except for ICE MAN, I never did see anyone chime in with an answer to that part of the question. I'm planning on splitting the flaps and ailerons. These are the servos I was going to go with: Hitec 605's (94 in-oz) on each flap, Hitec 225MG's (67) on each elevator half, ICE MAN's Futaba S3305 on rudder and Futaba S9001's (72) on each aileron. (I love the "feel" of coreless servos on aileron.) Also what kind of throws are people using for the "Crow"? I've done crow on "full house" sailplanes and used something like 60 deg down for flaps and 45 deg up on the ailerons. Any thoughts on that?
This is a GREAT forum! Thanks for all the tips.
Ken
Old 02-17-2005, 10:15 PM
rccub

hi raceskier, i ended up using futaba 605,s so far so good. they seem to work very well

iceman. i will call you tomorrow if i get a chance.
charlie
Old 02-18-2005, 03:28 PM
ICE 32 ICEMAN

Race,
I still have the aileron/flap parts sitting on the building bench. I need to cover them and install them on the wing but I'm still having too much fun flying the BIG BOY to stop and take the plane out of commission! I'm working on putting one together with a .61 two-stroke just to see how light I can make it. My favorite way of boring sky holes is still with a four-stroke but I want to do some "research." Yeah, right..............another excuse to go flying!
If you can get a hold of a manual on the H-9 Ultra Stik 60 they have a complete setup for crow for JR and Futaba radios and this is what I'll be using for a starting point when I actually get off my duff and put the aileron/flaps on the plane.
Terry
Old 02-18-2005, 06:56 PM
raceskier

cub, ICE,
Thanks for the replies. I have a friend who has one of the older US 1.2's. (flies it with an MDS 1.48 which REALLY drinks fuel) I'll see if he still has the setup info. After reading some of the other postings on the Spoiler, I'm a little concerned about the Magnum 91 being enough motor. I'm going to buy some light stock where appropriate and I tend to build pretty light. I'm not looking for explosive vertical obviously, but want something adequate. For comparison I have a Laser Models 3D at just under 4 lb and it has adequate vertical on a ST45. I'm not adverse to shelling out for another motor, but how far to go?

Ken

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.