Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

ModelTech Dragon Lady 60 ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

ModelTech Dragon Lady 60 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 07:58 AM
2mistakeshigh
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ModelTech Dragon Lady 60 ARF

I am building a Dragon Lady 60 ARF and have installed a Super Tiger G90 horizontally. I have used the supplied spacer and positioned the engine 5 7/8" from the firewall (Not spacer) to the thrust washer. Everything seems to be correct but when looking at the cowling when fitting it over the engine, it seems like the cowling is not going to be long enough to attach it to the fuselage.

I understand that there is not allot of overlap required but how much should there be given the setup I have described above.

Also, has anyone used this set up (A/C and Engine)? Any pictures of the assembly would be appreciated along with any tips during the build.

Thank you,

John
Old 01-20-2005, 11:39 AM
Backwing
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: ModelTech Dragon Lady 60 ARF

I just sold mine, but I had a magnum 1.08 mounted horizontally in it, bolted right to the firewall. Then I moved the cowl back and forth to get the closest distance to the spinner backplate. I had about 3/8" to 1/2" overlap.
I did have to cut away the cowl so the head would stick out a bit. Could this be your problem, is the head hitting the cowl, and you don't want to cut it?
Old 01-20-2005, 11:43 AM
2mistakeshigh

Yes, the cowling is still new and untouched. I will have to do a little cutting for the head and I agree, this will probably make the difference when fitting the cowling to the fuse.

How did you like your Dragon Lady? Any insite to how I should build it?
Old 01-20-2005, 04:22 PM
Backwing
My Feedback: (3)

As I remember the instructions were pretty straight forward, but the wheel pants were a pain, along with the wing bolts. I wanted to use blind nuts for the wing bolts, but the holes wouldn't line up, and couldn't properly set the nuts in place. So I ended up adding some ply, re-drilling everything and putting in bigger bolts. I just didn't feel comfortable with a bit of CA'd threads holding the wing on.
The covering is also a bit of an issue, mainly wrinkles and bubbles that are tough to get rid of due to the type of covering, but there was a pretty good post about it a while back.
Other than that, she fly's very smooth, and stable. I only sold mine because I wanted something more aerobatic.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:30 PM
stangevil29

I have one with a .91 magnum 4stroke on the spacer. It flys great. Probably the easiest tail-dragger to land I have. It isnt a 3D machine by any means but, just a great flying plane. I would agree with Backwing on the cowl and the covering issues. I guess you can get them with monokote now. I'm actually thinking of getting rid of it for other projects(GP Stearman). I hope all goes well, good luck.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:10 AM
2mistakeshigh

Thanks all for your advice and I will let you know how it turns out.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:56 PM
Phoenix Flyer

My Lady is powered by a RCV 91. Excellent
Old 03-05-2014, 05:23 PM
mrbsltz

I have been flying my Dragon Lady 60 for almost 10 years, powered by a YS 1.20 and its been my favorite bird!