Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Engine Mounting

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Engine Mounting

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 02:36 AM
lablkilz699

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Engine Mounting

yeah my younger sisters have the ultimate collection of barbies....ken is getting his pilots license...

im checking ebay right now....i do see some deals...but the shipping is like 50 bucks....it ends up being the same or more if i were to buy a whole new trainer from a store or soemthing....

im gonna keep looking though....theres gotta be SOMETHING on here....and electric is definitely a no go?

are micro glow planes no good either? like the .10 or a .20 or whatever...small engines and small servos etc...??
Old 02-05-2005, 02:46 AM
DragonHeart

lol hope ken gets it soon, just dont tell ur sisters

I wouldnt say electrics are a no goo, u can get good electric trainers BUT and a big but they will be around the same price as a glow powered trainer....... as you allready have the SSporter, it just makes sense getting a glow trainer moving your radio gear into that while you learn then move it back to the SS when your ready....... plus it will give you the experience you need when starting engines and running into problems soo when you move to ur SS it will be like second nature to u

If you want an electric trainer go for a 3 - 4 Channel one at least.......... but the good ones arnt cheap, and ive flown a few but just dont seem to have the power and then u have the hassle of charging them up but as with glow just land refuel and away u go..... but thier are alot of ppl who like electirc soo maybe someone else can give u advice on that field

As to the micro glow planes simple answer NOOOOOOOO, even worse lol......... they are hard to see in the air PLUS unstable a bit of wind hits them and its gone......... the bigger winspan trainer u get the better, it will make your learning experince sooo much better....... maybe download a free flight sim like FMS...... or something to get you going........

[link=http://n.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fms/index_e.html]http://n.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fms/index_e.html[/link]

Old 02-05-2005, 08:46 AM
ifixairplanes
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do what dragonheart said. You have an engine, did you get a radio setup? Just take the engine and radio setup out of the supersportster for now and get a trainer. A trainer ARF is cheap, you can get one for about $100. It will build up just like the super sportster pretty much.
Goodluck!
Sean
Old 02-05-2005, 08:48 AM
Crash90
My Feedback: (17)

Looking at your photo gallery I didn't see any engine mounting bolts? You did use 4 bolts?

Also, it was hard to make out but it looked like you have arms and wheels on your servo? Maybe I was just seeing things. Can you post a closeup of the GUTS? Just 1 servo will do.
Old 02-05-2005, 01:01 PM
lablkilz699

to answer the bolt question, no, there is one missing because the drill bit broke. i went down to the store, matched up the same size bit and got another one and drilled in the remaining l bolts. i just wanted to take a picture to show progress so i hooked up the tubing and what not so i could demonstrate that the help actually helped.

and as for the servos, considering thats what the direction looked like, and thats all there was in the kit...i think thats right? should i have taken off the wheel except for the throttle one? everything works fine so i didnt even think twice about it...nothing gets loose and all motion is even both ways on all flaps.

wow i feel dumb lol
Old 02-05-2005, 03:46 PM
Crash90
My Feedback: (17)

yes, the wheels come off and the servo arm slides down over the splines.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:28 PM
lablkilz699

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEDN6&P=K

would that be a good trainer to use before i get good enough to use my super sportster? the price is right...i might even be able to pick up a small engine too...what do you think?

thanks
Old 02-06-2005, 01:06 PM
DragonHeart

Yup that would be fine......... alot better to learn on than the SuperSportster
Old 02-06-2005, 01:29 PM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi!
Not t so good as it is fairly small and small models are not the best to learn on.
Why not get .40 size trainer as you already have a .46 engine??
Kyosho Calmato (ARF) is one of the best.

Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
Old 02-06-2005, 01:31 PM
lablkilz699

i would have to wait until i saved more money. I can, i just have to wait then i think.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:28 PM
DragonHeart

I admit its smaller.......... but its still has a wingspan of 52.3" and of course he will need to buy a smaller engine (which would be limited to that size plane)......... it all depends if u want to take the engine out of your supersporter and use it in a trainer........... if u dont then i see nothing wrong with this............

Old 02-06-2005, 06:00 PM
lablkilz699

yeah...that engine was tough to get in....i dono if i wanna just take it out now...but ehh....well i think im going to have to put an engine mount spacer in because it dosent seem to reach out far enough....frustrating....
Old 02-06-2005, 06:10 PM
DragonHeart

Opppppppppppppsssssssssssss bad luck lablkilz699 [&o]

Guess its why its important to read the instructions first............................ would have saved u alot of hassle......... as it states on Page 3 : Under Engine Recommendations u will need a 1/4 Inch Plywood Spacer for the LA engines............. but they do provide the template for it on the back page.............

Old 02-06-2005, 08:06 PM
lablkilz699

yep....i didnt realize it was for LA engines....just stupid beginner mistakes....oh well. at least nothing is broken. that would be worse.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:07 AM
lablkilz699

i really dont know why...i just thought it somehow didnt apply to me...i read it before i started building and when i got to mounting the engine...i just totally didnt think about it until now ...oh well...seems more or less easy to make.
Old 02-07-2005, 03:45 AM
DragonHeart

Yeah mistakes are easy made, especially in this hobby....... i know i had a problem cutting the template out..... i had to take it to a fellow club member to do for me
Old 02-07-2005, 06:26 PM
lablkilz699

hmm...do you think they would be able to cut it out for me at the hardware store? do they do that there? thanks
Old 02-07-2005, 07:44 PM
lablkilz699

i just got back from the model shop and they have no balsa.... 1/4 inch ply...or anything like that but they had these 1/4 inch nylon washers that they said should do basically the same thing....is this going to be ok do you think?
Old 02-07-2005, 08:34 PM
lablkilz699

ok...well they work...sort of...i put 2 of the 1/4 inch spacers on and its still not enough.....the engine is mounted to the VERY TIP of the the mount surface....if i were to have drilled the holes any farther id be afraid it would just break right though the edge......im sort of confused on what to do at this point...what do you suggest?
Old 02-08-2005, 02:32 AM
lablkilz699

ok...i put a half inch spacer in..........the engine is scewed on the mount on the very tip edge of it...it cant go any farther forward or there would be no mount to screw into.....and its still not long enough for the cone to clear the front of the plane.......i thought about sanding it down.......but then i thought maybe i could just buy a new longer engine mount...is this possible?? is there differnt lengths and what not?
Old 02-08-2005, 04:13 AM
DragonHeart

Hi lablkilz699

Hmmmmmmmmm where did u put those washers ???

I hope behind the engine mount ????.......... you would have to take the engine out and unscrew the engine mount then if your using washers basically put then in the engine mount screws onto the firewall then attach the engine mount again to the firewall ( but you will need to put them on all 4 bolts...... this should then push the engine mount forward by 1/4 of an inch........ which should then give you enought clearance.............

If took these below pics to show you, u can see the ply spacer, and the engine mount is the one they supplied and the engine is mounted on the end.......

Hope thats some help........... maybe pop it along to your local flying club im sure someone thier will be kind enought to help you wish this problem......
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28906.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	226359   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc91732.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	226360  
Old 02-08-2005, 11:58 PM
lablkilz699

yes....i took the engine off....then the mount.....then put two 1/4 inch spacers on each mount bolt bolt giving it a half inch space....more than enough....i then screwed the mount back on, screwed the engine back on (which is mounted as far forward on the mount as possible.) and still not enough clearance for the cone....i was thinking either get a longer engine mount or get a smaller cone (it seems that u dont have the stock cone on there) or just take a hand saw and saw back a little if the cowl....

is there such thing as a longer engine mount.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:54 PM
lablkilz699

hey does anyone know if i can get a longer engine mount that will fit the super sportster still?? like maybe one designed for a bigger engine or something?? all i need is like a centimeter or two more i think.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:55 AM
DragonHeart

You can buy bigger mounts, BUT u will have to make sure the holes are the same in the firewall to accept this.............. diff makes vary soo i would take yours out and take it to ur rc shop to compare sizes

Plus u might find it will be a hard fit to get in ........
Old 02-11-2005, 06:58 PM
lablkilz699

k i will go check that. hope the sizes match....

i was thinking maybe just putting the back two screws in and mounting it forward and not having two front screws...thats sounds very sketchy though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.