Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Little Tony

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes Little Tony

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 12:58 AM
CRAZYRYAN
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Little Tony

How many of you like the little tony? im planning on buying this plane for my second low wing after i have some flight time on my rare starfire 40 wich i converted to tail dragger. tail draggers are just awesome and handles WAY better than tri-gears. in few months from now i would love to get this hot rod. can anyone give me tips of how to make them perform better? im going to use my .91 Magnum four stroke wich will help make the cowling look good. this thing should go really fast if i use the apc prop. speaking of prop what size apc should i get for the magnum? i need to send the Magnum in to the manufacturer and have them balance it out due to my last crash wich was about 6 months or so ago with my hobbico 60 trainer. it had a lot of time time for me to be flying low wings i love the low wing taildraggers. anytips thanks
Old 02-09-2005, 08:47 AM
MormonMike
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Great Planes Little Tony

Yo Ryan, It's an excellent plane. Very easy to land, scoots right along with a ST .90. Advice, fiberglass the firewall... Important ! It's needed on the inside. Other than that, It's a "peach" to build. Land as smooth as possible, some guys tear there landing gear out. I've had two planes, sold the first to a guy that was twisting my arm for it, the other I wont let go. You'll like it. Seeya, MM
Old 02-09-2005, 03:13 PM
Harry Lagman

Ryan, I'll second what MM said - it's a very good kit that is easy to assemble but the firewall must be reinforced. I just poured "Gorilla Glue" into the foreward cavities of the fuse. The only issue I have had with mine is the bulkhead holding the rear of the tank came unstuck from the fuse, so check all glue joints

It is an amazingly docile model to fly, with none of the vices you'd expect with a typical high-performance or scale model. You will need to give the plane plenty of time to scrub off speed when landing.

For your Magnum .91 in this model, I'd recommend an APC 13x8 to 13x10 for general use or a 12x12 for a bit of speed.

Good luck and let us know what you decide on.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:33 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great plane-I own the toni with os 91fs pretty quick-however the shoestring that I also own with the os91fx is faster
Old 02-09-2005, 11:20 PM
LDJL

I agree...a great plane to fly but you have to have a long apprach to slow it down for landing. Very quick turns and just flat out speed. Lot's of fun. Running a .91 Surpass II with a 12X8 APC.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:49 PM
N1EDM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was surpsied to find that the slot for the Horizontal Stab was more than 1/16" wider than the stab itself (i.e., the stab was about 5/16" thick, and the slot was 3/8" wide... much too wide for my tastes. Apparently this is a chronic problem - a lot of guys on another thread mentioned this as well.

I tried to fill the gap in with 1/16" stock, but that wasn't thick enough (hence the "more than..." comment)

I sent mine back for a refund. I was disillusioned with GP, yet again.

Bob
Old 04-30-2005, 03:41 PM
JimmyCP

hi, i have a tony with a ys 91 and it's very fast an easy to fly and i geting another one but i'm going for 2 strokes on the new to check the diference.
for the experience with the super tigre engines i'm goin for the 90 on this plane but i dont like the muffler
any recomendation for looks would be verry helpful

tank you guys

jimmy
Old 05-02-2005, 07:47 AM
MormonMike

Jimmy, You'll need a "Pitts" style muffler. And yes, it will take out a lot of the bottom of the cowl but there's nothing else you can do about it if you go with a Super Tigre .90. Throw away the spinner that comes with the ARF and get a standard Tru Turn spinner. MM
Old 11-17-2009, 03:04 PM
SR-71

I'm considering purchasing the GP Little Tony, with an OS .91FX and Pitts muffler. I'm curious if anyone has tried this engine/muffler combination, and if so, was there any issues with the rear mounted mixture assembly conflicting with the Pitts muffler. And was extra tail weight necessary to get the plane to the proper CG?
Old 11-17-2009, 05:06 PM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: JimmyCP

hi, i have a tony with a ys 91 and it's very fast an easy to fly and i geting another one but i'm going for 2 strokes on the new to check the diference.
for the experience with the super tigre engines i'm goin for the 90 on this plane but i dont like the muffler
any recomendation for looks would be verry helpful

tank you guys

jimmy
Jimmy- a suggestion - the g90 is a very good sport engine which I use quite a bit and would certainly fly this plane. But I expect it will be slower than the one with a ys91, unless the ys91 you refer to is a 2 stroke. The 4 stroke ys engines are very strong with 20/20 fuel and would outperform the G90.
For a stronger/faster 2 stroke take a look at the Jett engines made by Dub Jett in Houston. He makes racing engines and sport versions of his racing engines. they are more money but they likely will give you performance closer to a 4 stroke ys engine.

Ed