Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Pilatus Porter Finished !

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Pilatus Porter Finished !

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2002, 10:41 PM
Ed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pilatus Porter Finished !

This is the one that was reviewed in MODEL AVIATIONS Sept issue. I'm powering it with an O.S. BGX, and it flys like a dream.
Thanks R/C Plane Power, you got a winner here.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	25375_175.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	16160  
Old 09-10-2002, 10:47 PM
Paradiddle
My Feedback: (3)

The Porter is one of my favorite planes. I loved all the STOL stuff in Air America.

Glad to hear it is a nice ARF - did it build well? Any surprises?

Jeff
Old 09-11-2002, 04:18 AM
Ed

No surprises, it was just a very enjoyable build. This ARF just screws together. The only glue that I used was some epoxy to fuelproof the firewall. All control surfaces are already installed, and the whole ship is covered with Oracover for a real nice finish.

It flies real light and slows down beautifully. STOL at it's very best.

Another view >

Name:	25426_175.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	16161  
Old 09-11-2002, 04:49 AM
ChinookPilot

Default Pilatus Porter

Jim,

I am about ready to start on mine. How did the plane balance with the BGX? I have a G-38 gasser on hand to hang on mine. Just wondering if this is going to be a good choice for this plane.

Sam
Old 09-11-2002, 03:03 PM
hilleyja

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was looking at one of those in J&C Hobbies, Pittsburg, a few months ago. It look interesting but I was immediately turned off by the fact that the instructions were not in English.
Old 09-11-2002, 07:41 PM
Ed

Default Re: Pilatus Porter

Originally posted by ChinookPilot
Jim,

I am about ready to start on mine. How did the plane balance with the BGX? I have a G-38 gasser on hand to hang on mine. Just wondering if this is going to be a good choice for this plane.

Sam
Sam, with the G-38, it's definitely going to be nose heavy. I've got two parallel packs of 1300 mah (for redundancy), slid all the way to the rear of the cabin area, and it's still a tad nose heavy.

Hilleja: This is the 95" version imported by R/C Plane Power, and the instructions are in English. You might want to check with them to see if it's the model that you looked at ?

Name:	25526_175.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	16162  
Old 09-12-2002, 10:58 PM
Tailman

Hi Guys,
Hilleja, I am the sole importer of the Pilatus PC6. So I do not think that the Porter you saw is the same one. We simply do not have enough profit margin to distribute the line to hobby shops. The planes come from Europe and are much more $$$$$ than the far east imports. Thanx for the kind words Jim!

Name:	25678_6207.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	16163  
Old 09-13-2002, 07:58 PM
Taildragger
My Feedback: (204)

Jim, Whats with the shorter nose on yours? Bill
Old 09-13-2002, 09:01 PM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Backasswards ?

Is it just me or is the elevator hinged upside down???

I cut away the covering over the stab mounting holes revealing the washers and sealed the edges with my iron, test fitted the stab and noted that the bevel on the elevator was on top and the "tape" hinge was on the bottom!!!

I am assuming the washers in the mounting holes support the heads of the mounting screws.

Is everyone using the supplied push rods for the tail?
I was planning on using pull-pull cables for the rudder but the main former in the fuse is a solid sheet of ply. Are there other formers in the aft fuse and are they solid as well?

Chuck
Old 09-14-2002, 01:07 AM
Ed

Originally posted by Taildragger
Jim, Whats with the shorter nose on yours? Bill
It's the 1959 PC-6 piston engine version. The long nose Turbo Porter didn't come about until later. Besides, if the nose was any longer on the model, you would have to put lead in the tail.

For some history and nice Pics, try this link >

http://mypage.bluewin.ch/aviationworld/pc6/
Old 09-14-2002, 01:21 AM
Ed

Default Re: Backasswards ?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Carlos Murphy
[B]Is it just me or is the elevator hinged upside down???
It works just fine like that. Don't change a thing.

I cut away the covering over the stab mounting holes revealing the washers and sealed the edges with my iron, test fitted the stab and noted that the bevel on the elevator was on top and the "tape" hinge was on the bottom!!!
Yes, the tape is on the bottom.

I am assuming the washers in the mounting holes support the heads of the mounting screws.
Yes again, the larger holes accept the screw heads.

Is everyone using the supplied push rods for the tail?
I did, but I did silver solder 4/40 Sullivan hardware to the push rod ends. Much more pleasing for IMAA safety inspectors.

Chuck, what engine will you be using ?
Old 09-14-2002, 01:59 AM
Carlos Murphy

Default Upside down...

Jim,
I don't get anywhere near enough "up" elevator with the bevel on top. The amount of angel produced with the bevel closed is sufficient for "down" elevator, I'll just have to re-hang it with Hinge-points.
I'm going to re-hang the flaps as well because I have some really neat Fowler flap hinges from another plane.
I'm planning to use a G-38 but not sure yet. When it comes time for that, I'll do a test balance of the plane and if it's nose heavy I'll mount a big battery on a hatch in the bottom of the aft fuse. I just finished powder coating the landing gear white and I'll install coil springs in the shock absorbing "olio strut" units just to pre-load them so they wont rattle when flying.
I'm also adding foreward side windows as on the turbo version and maybe the "port holes" as well.

Has anyone painted the interior?
There is plenty of room for seats and a pilot and I have a dash from another plane that will work. How bout a trap door like in that stupid move "Drop Zone"?

Rember in the the first scene with the "pink" Turbo Porter? It taxied in belching smoke and backfiring...
Old 09-14-2002, 02:32 AM
Paradiddle

Can someone post the website for RC Plane Power?

I might have to get one of these!

Jeff
Old 09-14-2002, 02:57 AM
Tailman

Default MR MURPHY

HI, glad to hear you are getting to work on the Pilatus. Just a thought, I have built and flown a couple of these. The deflection on the ele. is fine to fly the plane. On mine and on the numerous customers I have talked with, the plane flew great with the deflection in the stock setup. If you want you could set some washers in on the other side of the stab to mount it with the tape on the top. But it is not really required unless you are going to try some IMAC flying with this baby. At this time I am flying one with a US-35. I did as you and set the battery to the rear of the plane. This balanced it well. You will find when you put her in the air she is VERY forgiving. I have talked with guys that used 0/0 thrust and I have talked with guys that used 2/3 down right. Never had a single complaint on the flight performance.
Neat idea on the struts. They are not loud, but the set up you are talking of is superior to the stock set up.
Just word of caution, the firewall is 1/2" thick. If you use a stock muffler on your G38 you will need to cut a hole for the muffler. Use a hand saw. The wood is VERY! hard and a hand saw will be a pain in BUTT . I used a jig saw on one and because it was so wide and hard it just vibrated the plane to all hek. I did not see any damage on it but reglued some joints just in case. 150 flights later she is fine.

Jeff, I am sorry but the website is not up yet. Email at [email protected] and I will send some photos.
GOOD LUCK!!!!!&Good flying
Old 09-14-2002, 03:07 AM
Tailman

Default EARLY PC-6 (SNUB NOSE)

PC-6 Late 50,s

Name:	25881_6207.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	16164  
Old 09-14-2002, 03:08 AM
Tailman

Default TURBO PORTER

Later model TURBO PORTER

Name:	25882_6207.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	16165  
Old 09-14-2002, 04:23 AM
Birddog-RCU
My Feedback: (62)

Default Porter ARF

I have to say this ARF has to be one of the best built ARFs I have seen in a long time. The construction is excellent and covering very clean. I'm also putting a G-38 on mine so the more info you guys can pass along about this setup the better.

Thanks for a great plane Anthony!
Old 09-15-2002, 11:17 PM
Carlos Murphy

Default Crashed, big time...

My hard drive took a dump, couldn't save a thing so I went to Fryes today and bought a new 40 gig IBM, next step is to back it up. Lost everything, the old drive is toast.

Famous last words, "Back up my files? What for? My hard drive will never crash"!
Old 09-15-2002, 11:43 PM
Birddog-RCU
My Feedback: (62)

Default G-38 setup

Carlos,

I would like to see pictures of your G-38 mounting when you have some. I'm going to use the same engine and would like to see how you did it. Maybe we can also meet sometime since we're neighbors.

You should come out to Tracy sometime and fly where there is a little room for a change... You guys have lots of space in Fremont but its all vertical.
Old 09-16-2002, 09:18 AM
Steve-o-RCU

Default Nice !!!

How much? where can i get one???? how complete is the kit?

how 'bout some specs, or a web page to look er up?
Old 09-16-2002, 07:09 PM
Ed

Default Re: Nice !!!

Originally posted by Steve-o
How much? where can i get one???? how complete is the kit?

Email Anthony > [email protected]

He's the U.S. distributor.
Old 09-18-2002, 07:02 AM
Jafrh
My Feedback: (1)

Default P. Pilot

Great looking plane!!

Also need info on where to order. Is it a kit? Arf?
Old 09-18-2002, 01:15 PM
Fourthwind
My Feedback: (22)

Default PC-6

There were actually three versions of this plane. The short nosed gas version, and TWO turbine versions. one powered by a Garret motor, and the most current version built with a Pratt-Whitney PT-6. We saw the last "new" PC-6 roll off the assembly line early last year. It was sad to see the end of a 40 year production run. Good job to the model manufacture. It's a good looking model. wish I could afford one.

Mark

Avionics tech
Pilatus Business Aircraft Ltd
www.pilatus-aircraft.com
Old 10-01-2002, 02:40 AM
pequeajim
My Feedback: (1)

I'm in on this guy. I like the construction a lot. I did have to iron down some of the covering, especially in the middle of the fuse, but not as much as a lot of ARFs.

I am setting mine up to be a glider tug/candy dropper/parachute drop plane.

The tow rig will be at the back of the top hatch. I also cut a BIG bomb bay door in the bottom of the plane. I glued in some ply reinforcement. and cut two bb doors. I am working on setting them up with a release so they open on gravity.

I am putting a BME 2.7 in mine. It is a very light engine and powerful. I have it mounted on a Hanger 9 120 size alum mount.

I'll try to post some pics later.

Jim!
Old 10-01-2002, 11:15 AM
Tailman

Default Got it.

Hi Jim,

Got your mail late last night. Sorry I did not respond but it was about midnight and I just got home. Have a few to answer. I am on a remote computer now, but will mail you tonight. You know what they say " No rest for the stupid...ahh sorry..wicked"
LOL LOL Talk with you later.

OH, I have only 8 of these left. 5 months before any more come in. So if any one is thinking of buying one let me know. I will hold for awhile. No need to take it "today". (not trying to sell planes. Just telling the truth)

Good Flying All!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.