Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
 Avistar Nose Gear push rod routing >

Avistar Nose Gear push rod routing

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Avistar Nose Gear push rod routing

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 03:58 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Avistar Nose Gear push rod routing

Nose gear servo abuzz? ARF Avistar, my first plane. Have spent a considerable amount of time with the servos. Changing arms repositioning rods. Shimming the throttle servo to gain height which worked out great. Then the rudder push rod outer tube required some manipulating of the exit hole.
The elevator and ailerons worked out fine with very little coaxing.
But there is always one . The nose gear push rod comes in so low beside and almost under the fuel tank I'm lost for a remedy.
It is not binding badly. As a matter of fact it doesn't feel like it is binding hardly at all. But she buzzes of purrs softly at neutral.
If I give the stick a touch she will shut up. I have isolated it to this push rod and the direction it is coming in at from the fire wall.
I'm at a loss for a remedy. I've move and tweaked just about everything possible that is connected . I give up . In need of some expert know how.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:41 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Avistar Nose Gear push rod routing

You could try different materials for the pushrod itself. Try a lighter gauge pushrod wire, the yellow plastic pushrods you see in some kits or at the LHS, or even some of the coated flexible "throttle cable."
Old 02-14-2005, 07:43 PM

One of my trainers was an Avistar-great flyer-but I also had trouble with the nose gear-I switched to a smaller diameter piano wire(Ace Hwd carries various sizes of piano wire) and used one of those adjustable servo couplings to get better alignment. I was flying off pavement and constantly adjusting the tracking of the nose wheel. Finally added a servo just for nose wheel, mixed servo with rudder so wheel alignment can be tweaked with the flap knob. If your radio has that capability, might consider that option but fix any misalignment first.

Also I had to replace the elevator and rudder pushrods, they are not supported and eventually started causing elevator and rudder to move inconsistently. Just used dowel rods and short pieces of the old rods epoxied in each end. Good luck with your Avistar.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:23 PM
My Feedback: (9)

I had problems with mine when I flew it 6 or 7 years ago. After I soloed it way back when, I converted it to tail dragger! It was SUPER easy, took off MUCH better and made the plane a good step up in skill for when I was a newbie. Good luck.