Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Goldberg Wild Stik

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Goldberg Wild Stik

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 08:14 PM
Spiccoli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goldberg Wild Stik

Has anyone built this plane yet? I realize it's fairly new. It looks like an interesting plane, very similar to an Ultra Stick with maybe larger ailerons. I noticed it comes with flaps and wondered if the flaps were optional like the U-Stick or if you could build it with just ailerons.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:53 PM
MR.HANEY
My Feedback: (50)

Default RE: Goldberg Wild Stik

the plane stinks,you have to build it with flaps,the hardware is junk,theres not enough room in fuse for all of radio gear,save your money and buy a ultra stik.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:01 PM
Spiccoli

Given that information I would definetly agree with you. I liked my UStick and would definetly consider another one. And it's $30 cheaper!
Old 04-18-2005, 08:23 AM
ninefingers
My Feedback: (18)

I purchased a Goldberg Wild Stik a few of weeks ago. I've flown it a couple weekends now. I left everything standard (which a lot of builders may not do because the hardware as mentioned above leaves a lot to be desired) and put in a Saito .72. First I'll mention the positives. 1. It's a high quality covering job (buts its coming off I'll get to that later). 2. The pull-pull rudder setup. 3. Huge ailerons and flaps. 4. The price (but after all its really just your basic stik whith huge control surfaces). Now the negatives. 1. I hade to figure out how to mount an internal switch from my buddies because there's no instruction on how to do this (and there's absoultely no way to mount the switch any other way believe it or not!). 2. The second weekend I flew it all the sharp points on the covering started peeling back. 3. The elevator setup uses real thin flexable wire. 4. All clevesis and horns are plastic (not uncommon). 5. I've yet to balance it. It's still extrememly nose heavy even with lead on the tail and the battery behind the servo tray. By the way I had to cut a hole in the bottom of the fuse to mount the battery so I could get it back as far as possible.
Summary: what you've got is a very basic narrow stik with big control surfaces. Since its still nose heavy I've be unable to test any of its "3-D" characteristics. Its an attractively covered plane however. On that note, thats about it!
Old 04-18-2005, 08:28 AM
ninefingers

Correction! For accuracy all the cleveses and horns are not plactic. The cleveses on the "horn end" of the servo rods are steel. Sorry!
Old 04-18-2005, 10:00 PM
3DWANT2B

Guess I should have checked in BEFORE I ordered mine Saturday! I'll let everyone know more after it comes in Wed. or Thur.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:47 PM
winston07

Yeah 3dwant2b please get that info back because I have really been dreaming about this plane and now that i have seen this forum i want for info on hoow good this plane really is. thanx
Old 12-02-2005, 11:52 PM
ejames7699

I have a wild stik 1.20 and yes it is nose heavy. I'm using the O.S. 1.60 and after tweeking in the C.G. its now flying good with about 8 oz of weight in the tail. The plane is beautifully covered but that covering peels at the corners after every flight so far (5 flights) now.
I also have the Quad ailerons glued together as one, or one per side. After 5 flights I have finally got it floating around and stable. I would not but this plane again I rather buy the Big Stik 1.20 or Ultra 1.20.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:19 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should also consider a Jerry's Big Boy in the .91-1.20 size.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:47 PM
RVator
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A guy we fly with just put a Wild Stick together and flew it week before last. He used an Enya 1.20 4 stroke and a lot of lead it the tail to balance. There is almost no way to balance a gas engine without shortning the nose or hauling a lot of lead. I have flown many Ultra Sticks and love them but I still like Jerry's Big Boy the best.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:05 AM
mass balance

I have four flights on the Wild Stik 120, with a Saito FA 100. I put 2, 1450 mAH NiMH batteries behind the rudder servo, and the c.g. is still at the forward limit. I think it's going to be a fun plane to fly after I get it dialed in. If you use the steel landing gear bolts, the landing gear block will soon be pulled loose. The long gear legs provide a lot of leverage on the lightly glued gear block, and they bounce really well. I epoxied mine back in and changed to 10-32 nylon bolts. I think it will flare better for landing with the cg further back, so I will probably change to a wood prop and foam wheels and see how it goes. I'm also changing out the stock 3mm pushrods and clevises with 4-40 hardware because I can't keep them tight even after using Loctite on the jam nuts. No problems with the covering on mine so far. On the 120, I mounted the switches high on the side just behind the fuel tank. This might not work on the 40 size plane.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:25 PM
Blindsides
My Feedback: (4)

I bought a new Wild Stik 120 and maiden-ed it last Friday evening. I used a G-26 with all HiTec gear.

It was a beautifull handling airplane, use big throws! It is pretty docile and the recommended low rate throws will not give you enough elevator for a good landing.

As for the landing, as for having to switch it to high rates to land it all the good thing about the plane left there.

I had a nice smooth landing and the gear immediatly folded in the firewall and engine shot out of the front of the plane. After really looking at the pieces when getting them back to my truck I found that the glue joints on the gear and the firewall were virtually non existant.

BUYER BEWARE! If you have this model put in extra support and make sure the glue joints on the fire wall and main gear are in good condition!

I contacted Goldberg and they will not do anything about it, as far as I am concerned they should remedy the problem as you can not even see the firewalls joints and you have to go inside the fuselage to see the main gear joints.

I was really excited about the plane and I can fix it with not much hassle, it is the idea of it all. I have been flying Goldberg products for years and they thank me by saying it is my problem it came apart on the landing. No matter how easy it was and the lack of glue![&o][&o][&o][&o]
Old 01-30-2008, 10:26 AM
jpartis

Can someone who has installed a G26 or G26EI share their setup with us?

1. What did you set your low rate throws at, especially the elevator (Some say the recommended throw is not sufficient)?

2. Did you shorten the fuse and how?

3. What did you do to reinforce the LG?

4. Did you reinforce the wing bolt on block?

5. Any other relevant advice would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks you...
Old 01-30-2008, 10:41 AM
ejames7699

I took your advise and its the best stik I've ever own

EJames
Old 01-30-2008, 10:29 PM
jpartis

ejames7699,

Can you share your setup?

I'm currently setting up mine and would like advice from someone who already has a flying model.

Did you make any mods and/or did you use stock hardware etc...

Thanks!
Old 01-31-2008, 09:34 AM
ejames7699

I think my last comment has been mistaken, it was intended for the Jerry's Big Boy. If you're referring to the Big Boy the only mods I made on it was mounting the elevator servos in the rear of the fuse. And as for the Wild Stik I gave up on it along time ago, too many issues with balancing..
Old 01-31-2008, 11:14 PM
jpartis

Why didn't you cut the nose down to size?

There is no thrust angle so it is a breeze to do.

Another guy did this and loves the hell out out the plane.

It's what I am going to do...
Old 02-01-2008, 01:57 AM
ejames7699

Good luck but I love Jerry's Big Boy, I don't have to cut the nose down and I've been flying it for over a year now with a YS 120 and it does everything and flys great. Good Luck
Old 02-01-2008, 03:53 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Goldberg was owned by Lanier. Lanier, rumor has it, has been purchased by the Tower Hobbies conglomerate. After being charged $5 to download an instruction manual on my nickel (phone line), I'm not surprised that Lanier has new owners - or so the rumor goes. What comes around - goes around.

I just bought two of the 40 sized Wild Stiks off a fellow on eBay. Very low price. Cutting the front end back a bit won't bother me at all. Times like this is when you are glad that the assemblers did not use the necessary amount of glue to put it together properly.

I have a couple of NIB Saito .82s just waiting to go flying. I see a Wild Stik in one of their futures.

Ed Cregger
Old 02-01-2008, 09:11 AM
jpartis

Yep, same here.

ARFs are a beautiful thing that we in this age have but they can spoil us.

I don't mind at all cutting the nose on my wild stik 120 to balance the plane.

I spoke with another fellow that did just this and mounted a 26cc gas on it and loves the

heck out of the plane. He says it floats like a butterfly and stings like a bee.

Since I only spent $149.99 for the plane, it doens't bother me that the warrenty will be

voided because I always beef up the firewall and landing gear (two problem areas) anyway.

I've considered cutting a few inches off the LG to reduce the leverage on the LG block & loose

a tiny bit of weight in the process.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:22 AM
ejames7699

I agree with you and your accessment of the Wild Stik 120, but did you really put a Saito .72 on a plane that size? I had a lemon Wild Stik too and used a YS 120 and I was underpower when going vertical and trying to hover. But anyway I recommend the Ultra stik, I have the 40 size with a 46 Rossi and a 60 with a 100 Saito and with both set ups the combs are just perfect they both hover at less than 1/2 throttle, flat spins, and knife edges with best. But I also have a Jerrys Big Boy with a YS 140, another perfect combo. The big boy replaced the WILD LEMON STIK which is truly a lemon because the dropped the price from the original cost, now why would they do that, and when the stock level gets low it will probably be discontinued. But check out MORRIS HOBBIES google it or just check out comments on it in any forum.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:58 PM
jpartis

[quote]ORIGINAL: MR.HANEY

Huh?....

Not enough room for the radio gear? I was able to cut some of the servo tray out and even put my gas tank (16 oz) there leaving about a foot of empty space in the front of the fuse, and half a foot behind the tank for what ever. I'm trying to figure out what I can do with the empty space left over after all my gear is in there. Plenty of room in the plane to mount anything you throw at it. This is a great plane and if you know what to do, you can really make it nice while keeping the weight down. I will be posting my build with plenty pictures some time this week to show a good way to lay out the plane.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:00 PM
jpartis

I only spent $149.99 for my Wild Stik. Any cheaper than that and I would be afraid of it falling apart before it leaves the shop floor...
Old 02-05-2008, 03:16 PM
jpartis

ORIGINAL: ejames7699

I agree with you and your accessment of the Wild Stik 120, but did you really put a Saito .72 on a plane that size? I had a lemon Wild Stik too and used a YS 120 and I was underpower when going vertical and trying to hover. But anyway I recommend the Ultra stik, I have the 40 size with a 46 Rossi and a 60 with a 100 Saito and with both set ups the combs are just perfect they both hover at less than 1/2 throttle, flat spins, and knife edges with best. But I also have a Jerrys Big Boy with a YS 140, another perfect combo. The big boy replaced the WILD LEMON STIK which is truly a lemon because the dropped the price from the original cost, now why would they do that, and when the stock level gets low it will probably be discontinued. But check out MORRIS HOBBIES google it or just check out comments on it in any forum.

Huh, (I balanced the plane with G26EI with simple mods - ARF cost only $149.99)

The reason the price dropped is because the company was bought out. And why would you under power a 120 size plane and expect good things from it? I had no problem at all getting the plane to balance with a few, really really simple mods. I will share them this week along with pics. So many people are so spoiled to ARF planes now (including myself) that they don't even know how to build/modify one from scratch. These planes are so simple to modify and it doesn't take a life time. I put a hatch in the tail under the bottom and found a secret compartment under the horizontal stabilizer to sto my receiver battery. I also mounted my rudder servo on top of the fuse, right in front of the vertical stab by glueing a couple sticks in there to mount the servo. All I had to do was take an exacto knife to the monokote, leaving a little to fold over into the hole, and ironed it there. Then, simply cut a piece of 1/8" ply wood to overlap the hole, iron on white monokote, drill 4 holes, and screw it on. Now, my battery, rudder servo, elevator servos, and even the switch (in front of rudder servo) are all accessible from the hatch. Balanced like a champ! You can't expect these planes to be perfect and imediately reject any that don't just fall together. Don't be afraid to do a simple 30 minute mod which will allow you to build an awesome plane that will bring you much enjoyment for years to come. My fuel tank is dead in the center of the CG. I made a hatch in the top of the fuse right behind the firewall, to access my EI and EI battery. I mounted the throttle servo under the fuse in the front (looks great) requiring a very short push rod. This thing balanced to nicely. I can move the CG all the way to the front, or back of the range (5.75" - 6.5") just by moving a few components around... I guess what I'm trying to get across is, don't keep looking for greener pastures: make your own pasture green and get your hands dirty. You will appreciate the ARF a whole lot more if you customize it to your liking.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:37 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jpartis

Yep, same here.

ARFs are a beautiful thing that we in this age have but they can spoil us.

I don't mind at all cutting the nose on my wild stik 120 to balance the plane.

I spoke with another fellow that did just this and mounted a 26cc gas on it and loves the

heck out of the plane. He says it floats like a butterfly and stings like a bee.

Since I only spent $149.99 for the plane, it doens't bother me that the warrenty will be

voided because I always beef up the firewall and landing gear (two problem areas) anyway.

I've considered cutting a few inches off the LG to reduce the leverage on the LG block & loose

a tiny bit of weight in the process.

------------

I like the long landing gear, so I would reinforce the landing gear blocks with tri-stock and fiberglass cloth, with an eye toward keeping it light. I hate bopping props on the ground. It damages the prop and the engine every time the prop contacts the ground.

Ed Cregger

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.