Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Slow Poke ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Slow Poke ARF

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 12:22 AM
HitecMan
My Feedback: (43)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow Poke ARF

I have a small field near my house and I love the chubby looks of the Slowpoke arf. I was wondering if this is a good small field flyer?
Old 06-20-2005, 05:47 AM
vicarh
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Slow Poke ARF

YES! I had one for about a couple years, unfortunatelly it died in a collission with another much bigger plane, and it was great flyer. It took off in nothing and it landed in much less. I little bit of head wing and it out sit there for ever. Mine had a .46 in it could fly slow and had plenty of power to spare. The only modification I made to it was the landing gear. I replaced the wires for an aluminum gear. I did minor surgery in the center of the wing to add a support plate where I bolted the gear, at one point it even had wheel pants. Go for it, you will have lots of fun with it.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:05 AM
MinotRich

I have to agree with the above post. I have a slowpoke arf with an OS 52 four stroke on it and it is a JOY to fly! Flies relaxed and slow and with plenty of power to spare. An all around fun plane. I think you'll enjoy it. I would agree with the landing gear replacement though. I have replaced the wires on mine a couple of times. Seems like the aluminum gear might be the way to go.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:35 AM
vicarh

By the way, the modification was fairly simple. Position your landing gear over the wing such that the wheels are aligned with the leading edge. Mark the area under the landing gear and open up that section. Remove enough material to install a plywood plate with the appropriate tapped holes or t-nuts, recover, intall gear and go fly. It is going to need rebalancing but I don't think there was much of a problem. I liked that plane so much that every time I go to a swap meet I look for one. Who knows I may buy a kit and build it from scratch. I wish I could find a 90 size version.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:02 PM
HitecMan

Thanks you guys alot I really am thankful for your help I might have to get one. Thanks a Ton!!!!!1
Old 06-20-2005, 03:35 PM
ICE_MAN

A Buddy I fly wi9th has one... He and I were flying in a 15 mph wind one day.. He was playing with his slowpoke and me My Ultra Stick Lite.. It's quite funny seeing a Slowpoke at 15 ft Inverted GOING BACKWARDS! Then even funnier when there's a Slowpoke AND USL at 15 ft. inverted Going backwards... I should've got a video

But anyways he has a O.S. .40 on his and it is SLOOOOW! Short Takeoffs and landings for sure.. and a Greta little flyer!
Old 06-24-2005, 06:04 AM
builder jim

[&:] alu gear, please explain? like alu strap or wire type? thanks
Old 06-24-2005, 06:31 AM
vicarh

Jim,

An after market aluminum gear, from the LHS. It is flat alum preshaped to look like a lanfing gear. You drill a couple of holes and bolt it to the bottom of your plane...

Let me see if I can find a picture of mine, I'll post it.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:34 PM
builder jim

ok, now I understand would solve the weak gear and be stronger, thanks vicarh
Old 06-24-2005, 03:36 PM
mancha

HitecMan:

Buy the originaly slow poke kit and build it it is worth it!!
It is only 3 channels but for short fields and big fun is great.

I have both versions, my 4 channels does not get flying time now a days, although the little one always goes to the field along with any one of my biplanes or GP PW extra.

It fights wind really well and keep your rudder skills to the max, I fly it with a 30 4-s magnum.

much better design than the .46 brother.

As a foot note, both version were kits, not the ARF.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:07 PM
HitecMan

Thanks man but I am a novice builder is the kit tough to put together?
Old 06-24-2005, 11:34 PM
ICE_MAN

The ARF I saw looked great.. And it flew awesome.. I'd just go with it.. Cheaper too
Old 06-25-2005, 08:21 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have some of these. I have used both the OS 52 four stroke and the Magnum 61 four stroke engine. Doesn't make much difference.

They are hard to full stall land on a turbulent convective day. You have to set them down on the main wheels first if the wind is choppy.

They will turn on a dime and give you 9 cents change,

They will stall on approach. I bring them in a little hot and let them play out right above the ground.

My kit and the ARF look pretty much the same on the outside but inside they are completely different.

The fuel tank that comes with the ARF is a little bit iffy around the stopper area.

Never had any trouble with the original gear but I use 3" wheels.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 06-26-2005, 06:41 AM
builder jim

[&:] thanks Guys, been pondering on these planes , probably put a os 52 four stroke in for power, will there be a problem with tank location? and the alu gear sounds like a good fix for the gear, thanks jim
Old 06-27-2005, 02:35 PM
mancha

HitecMan:
It is an easy kit to build, however if you are looking to build your first one, learn better with a square type fuselage, trainer like.
nevertheless, it is unexpensive and if you build it it will teach you a lot for the future and due to its flying caracteristics even if you do not build it perfect it will fly well.
besides you can build it in 2 weeks, it has few parts!
Old 06-27-2005, 04:04 PM
rgp1842

I have the SP Sport 40, kit version. Of my 15+ planes it's probably the one I enjoy flying the most. Very relaxing to fly, and I've even entered it in some aerobatic contests and done quite well with it! I had a Saito .45 on it that was totally worn out and had the power of about a .25, but the plane flew fine. I now have a new Saito .56 on it, and it's a joy to fly. Almost hand's-off on inverted (nudge the CG back until it will do this). Also I have differential ailerons via computer TX, and a little rudder mix to aileron for "normal" flying. Put in plently of down and right thrust if you "over size" the engine. I can slow this plane down to a walking pace, and with a little wind it will amost stop. And you have plenty of time with this plane to consider what you should do next if you are not an experienced flyer. I think you would love having one of these birds, but not sure you could consider it a "park flyer". BTW: on windy days, fly it onto the ground, don't glide it in (you won't get there). )
Old 06-27-2005, 10:40 PM
HitecMan

Hey guys guess what a guy is going to give me his sp sport 40 already bulit ive flown it manytime what a great plane this guy also gave me a sig fazer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111 yeeeeeeeeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Old 06-28-2005, 01:03 PM
mancha

Congratulations HitecMan, isn`t this a wonderful world!